The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    George and a Magma Creature
    George and a Magma Creature
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  S4E13 Journey's End [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    S4E13 Journey's End [SPOILERS] Views: 9353
     Saturday, July 05 2008 @ 11:58 PM EDT
    Well where to start here....

Goodbye Donna it was nice not to know you. Ok so it was something right out of Superman II with erasing her memory but definitely a tear jerker to be sure.

Dalek Caan (sp) setting up Davros and co to rid the universe of the entire Dalek race....a Dalek with a conscience who knew losing your mind could be so eye opening?

The Children of Time joining forces and taking on the might of the Dalek empire....bloody marvelous.

Davros being reduced to pawn in a master scheme....

I almost thought we were going to see a reappearance of Georgia Moffat to really tie up threads but she is still out there fighting the good fight I guess.

If this was a true 'last episode' for the series, it would have been a great note to go out on for everyone except of course for that ending which once again leaves the Doctor 'alone'.

But I guess now its 'can you top this'? We have had a doctor regenerate after beating the Daleks; the Daleks and Cybermen obliterate London; the Master return from beyond and almost destroy the Earth and now Earth being stolen by Davros and the Doctor's secret army banding together to save it.....how do you top it?? For me the ultimate closing act for Who would have to be the actual return of Gallifrey and perhaps the Doctor in his final incarnation sacrificing himself so that the Time Lords may live again......

....just some thoughts...other than that a satisfying conclusion to this series.

I look forward to abbreviated Series 5...hoping they will not have a continuous story thread or any 'to be continued' running through the specials....and look forward to series 6.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 12:03 AM EDT
    Oh, forgot two more things!
    RTD - could you please end a season without blowing up the entire Dalek empire? Remember the Dalek episode, with one Dalek? It was great! We don't need the entire armada only to have them blown out of the sky (this is what? The third time?!) I much preferred the Dalek/Cybermen confrontation! Awesome dialog between the two races!!

RTD - Thank you so much for not pulling a reset button at the end of this episode. Last year was quite enough!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 12:34 AM EDT
    Something tells me Louis is going to have a problem with some of the science in this episode, or lack thereof.

Louis mate, face it, Doctor who is not science fiction; It is fiction science!!!

Just drop the science and just go with it and let the story take you wherever it's going. This is why I'm so jealous of children, their imaginations know no limits.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 12:42 AM EDT
    Yes!

RTD connected The Unquiet Dead's Gwyneth and Gwen Cooper!

Not Sontarans and Rutan together on screen but I'm not complaining...

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 02:33 AM EDT
    With reagrd to the Dalek plan, wasn't it to destroy all of reality except for themselves?
    For a group of fascists, thsi makes perfect sense in a really-making-no-sense-at-all kind of way. But let's face it they're nazis. It's what the nazis wanted. Gradually destroy everything/ everyone who is different - the golden fleece of Ayran perfection without facing the absolutely terrible yet ridiculous consequences which would inevitable flow from such a situation.
    Yeah, the Dalek plan made perfect sense to me as scarily there are those in reality who actually would love to do the same given half a chance.
    As I said before: German Daleks - Post Modern Genius!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 02:33 AM EDT
    Well I got to say this one tied with Parting of the Ways as best finale for me. I thought the depiction of Davros in this one was fantastic, showed how insane he really is. The only problem I had was it felt like the only real purpose for the 2nd Doctor was so RTD could wrap up the Doctor-Rose relationship in an almost too perfect way otherwise I had no other problems.
    Enjoyed the brief appearance by K-9 and who doesn’t love spinning Daleks being pushed around on a giant spaceship, wish I could have been there for that.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 03:51 AM EDT
    Let me add, a great score from Mister Murray Gold!

The Indian sounding music for some of the action sequences.

The Wagnerian chorals for the Daleks and the beautiful "TARDIS Brings Earth Home" cue.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 04:31 AM EDT
    I'm simply speechless.

I loved this episode, and coming from someone who actually really really liked the series 3 finale, I was blown away by this.

I was so glad the regeneration didn't happen, and even through I knew that they would never do it for real in this episode, it went through my head this week quite often that it would. Because of this, I think I'll be much more prepared for when the time does come, and hopefully won't feel as upset when it does happen, because I've had this tester... so to speak.

Also glad that no one actually 'died' I was fearing all week that they going to off Gwen and Ianto. Loved how it was Tosh that saved them.
    Also the connection of Gwen to Gweneth... finally!
    Little sad that Ianto barely made an appearance in this, but that's just my inner fangirl talking. Ignore her.

Loved Jack's line in reaction to the 'three' doctors: "I can't tell you what I'm thinking right now"
    Oh I love you Jack... Razz

Also quite enjoyed the Ten and Rose send off, and it's been interesting to read the LJ communities reactions to the Bad Wolf Bay scene what with all the Ten/Rose shippers that post there. Interesting because, when I watched that scene, I throught that the Ten/Rose shippers would be happy with it, but quite a few were not... Just can't please some fangirls can you.

Very sad to see Donna go, with an extremely sad ending for Donna. Again, RTD has 'killed' off the companion without actually killing them.
    Reminded me of a series called Tsubasa, a story about many things but at the center of it is the relationship between a boy and a girl. An incident happens, and the girl loses her memories, and her life becomes in danger, and in order to save the girl he loves, the boy has find her memories but even if he gets them all back, she'll never remember him.

It was horrible. And the Doctor at the end. Frown

Overall, I loved this episode alot, it's 5/5 easy.
    It had everything, and ranged from very funny to very scary and to very depressing.
    Brillant.

I'm also looking forward to the Christmas special in a big way. If I don't seen something resembling a musical number of "These boots were made for walking" with Cybermen, I will be a very disappointed fangirl.

Oh, and I'll throw this bit of randomness out there since I know I'm not the only fangirl who giggled insanely and loved seeing this.

NAKED TEN!!!

*implodes*

bye bye david :(

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 04:57 AM EDT
    With minor reservations aside - THAT WAS FANTASTIC!

Big Grin Razz Exclaimation

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 05:41 AM EDT
    Fantastic. 5/5, job done. It had everything and everybody - even a probably expensive appearance of K9 given contractual issues Wink
    I thought RTD did a great job of effectively tying his whole era together, which for me was a satisfying pay-off for watching some of the dross of some previous episodes across the 4 series. Nevertheless, well done but it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here in the specials before handing over the reins. Overall, series 4 has been excellent on the whole with Catherine Tate being brilliant throughout.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 07:45 AM EDT
    I really enjoyed it, I thought is was very good - but I think the preceding episode was better, but it was still good. A lot crammed in.

It was one of the saddest endings, I don't want to say much for those who haven't seen it. I know a lot of people thought she might have been wrong for the part - but for me Donna has bee my favourite companion of the new-Who.

Credit to Murray Gold though - he did an absolutely sterling job with the music.

Muray Gold Trivia: He used to be called Murray Smith until he touched his last name.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 07:59 AM EDT
    Epic romance.
    Cold shoulder to epic romance.
    German speaking Daleks.
    Surprise character cameo.
    Star Wars motifs.
    An alien invasion that does not get reset.

Interesting homage to Farscape Season 3. Now we get to follow Moya Doctor while Rose has Talyn Doctor. Farscape fans know how this ended the first time ....

It was wild. It was amazing. Still not quite sure if I like all of it. Still, a few more hours till Podshock live.

1/2 a year to Christmas.

Time will tell. It always does, except when it has Laryngitis.

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 09:34 AM EDT
    In alot of ways this was better then I thought it was going to be. I'll have to watch this again before it will all make sence.

I would like for awhile the Daleks to be gone. I was also disapointed to see we are getting cybermen for christmas. I would like them to try and come up with a new powerful villian that wasn't done over and over already at least for awhile. How about something that isn't just a one off bad guy.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe." - Carl Sagan

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 09:36 AM EDT
    Now that a lot of the episode's plot has been spoiled here, I feel can give a bit more commentary.

What I didn't like:

--Earth being pulled by the Tardis? Sure, it was "fun" but seeing the people on Earth "hanging on" was a bit much. I can be open-minded, but why not have the Tardis just dematerialize the Earth back to where it belongs. It would have served the same purpose and not been so corney.
    --Rose with the other Doctor Ten. I believe that there was a missed opportunity here. I would have liked to have seen "our" Doctor show a bit more emotion in having to leave Rose. Instead it came off like he was just pawning off another him to go deal with her. Just didn't work for me. I understand that it was important to tie everything up for RTD, but this was a bit weak.
    --The Daleks and Davros' plan. I always thought they liked ruling over everyone. If everything in the universe was destroyed, where would they get their energy? Where would they live? What would they do? Seemed a bit odd to me. I would have liked to have seen Davros simply want to wipe everything away just for revenge so that he could kill his own creations as they had him locked up too.

What I liked:

--It was great seeing all the companions working together and flying the Tardis.
    --Loved the DoctorDonna bit as it really added some good bits to the story.

All in all I really did like the episode but just wish some of the other parts were toned down to be less gimmicky.

And in sending off: I wasn't too happy at how Donna was treated. In retrospect, she did make the ultimate sacrifice. She lost everything. Very sad.

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 10:10 AM EDT
    As I watched the episode, I actually thought, "when is this going to be over?"

When did this thought take over my enjoyment of watching the episode: when we got Naked Doctor. As soon as he was "created," I saw the writing on the wall, "oh, look! Rose has her very own Doctor to play with in her universe! Isn't that nice?"

yeah, sorry, it all went downhill for me from that point. But there are many things I loved!

Daleks speaking German (already mentioned, but God! everything is more frightening in German!)

Mickey sort of thanking Jackie for being there for him throughout the years

Sarah Jane HAS moved on from the Doctor! Yea Luke!

Davros! How I loved to see him as insane as he was! Brilliant!

Wilf - again, loved the acting, and the way he sort of becomes the watcher for the earth at the end. Kind of cool, not that I expect to see him again, but still.

I've watched it twice now, and the item above that took me out of the story still niggles a bit, but doesn't ruin it for me like it did on the first viewing.

So, Harriet Jones was the most loyal companion? She is the only one who died, afterall. I guess I can see that. The Doctor destroyed her reputation, her career, and still she did what had to be done to get him to help the Earth. Yup, I can see what RTD was getting to.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed