The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Hello Kitty
    Hello Kitty
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Series 4 - How did we vote
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Series 4 - How did we vote Views: 1594
     Thursday, July 17 2008 @ 11:52 PM EDT
    So the voting is still open on the last three episode, but how did we like series 4 (as determined by podshock voting)?

Well in terms of marks out of 5 the ranking goes like so:

The Stolen Earth -------------- 4.702128
    The Silence in the Library ---- 4.466019
    The Forest of the Dead ------- 4.365591
    Turn Left ----------------------- 4.271605
    Fires of Pompeii --------------- 4.189393939
    Journeys End ------------------ 4.027397
    Planet of the Ood ------------- 3.922413793
    The Poison Sky ---------------- 3.822917
    The Sontaran Stratagem ----- 3.808988764
    The Doctor's Daughter -------- 3.807018
    Midnight ------------------------ 3.782609
    Voyage of the Damned ------- 3.663716814
    Partners in Crime -------------- 3.557142857
    The Unicorn and the Wasp ---- 3.258929

In terms of %ag of votes giving 5 TARDIS groan results are:

The Stolen Earth -------------- 77.66
    The Silence in the Library ---- 61.17
    The Forest of the Dead ------- 51.61
    Turn Left ----------------------- 49.38
    Journeys End ------------------ 45.21
    Fires of Pompeii --------------- 37.12
    Midnight ------------------------ 34.78
    Planet of the Ood ------------- 31.90
    The Doctor's Daughter -------- 27.19
    Voyage of the Damned ------- 25.66
    Partners in Crime -------------- 22.86
    The Sontaran Stratagem ----- 21.35
    The Poison Sky ---------------- 18.75
    The Unicorn and the Wasp ---- 17.86

The average episode Rating was 3.97
    compared to 3.99 for season 3 and 3.89 for Season 2.

No Votes for Season 1 Cry

Overall for groans out of 5 ranking for the David Tennat era are like so:

Blink 4.76
    The Stolen Earth 4.70
    Human Nature 4.70
    Doomsday 4.61
    The Family of Blood 4.58
    Utopia 4.54
    The Satan Pit 4.52
    The Silence in the Library 4.47
    The Army of Ghosts 4.46
    Girl in the Fire Place 4.43
    The Forest of the Dead 4.37
    School Reunion 4.34
    The Impossible planet 4.32
    Turn Left 4.27
    The Sound of the Drums 4.26
    Tooth and Claw 4.19
    Fires of Pompeii 4.19
    Christmas Invasion 4.14
    The Shakespeare Code 4.06
    Journeys End 4.03
    Planet of the Ood 3.92
    The Lazarus Experiment 3.88
    The Poison Sky 3.82
    Gridlock 3.81
    The Sontaran Stratagem 3.81
    The Doctor's Daughter 3.81
    Midnight 3.78
    The Last of the Time Lords 3.78
    Voyage of the Damned 3.66
    42 3.66
    The runaway Bride 3.64
    Age of Steel 3.61
    Partners in Crime 3.56
    Rise of the Cybermen 3.52
    Daleks in Manhatten 3.48
    New Earth 3.42
    Smith and Jones 3.40
    Evolution of the Daleks 3.36
    The Unicorn and the Wasp 3.26
    Fear Her 3.18
    Love and monsters 2.97
    Idiot's Lantern 2.81

In terms of %age of score which was 5 groans ranking is:

Doomsday 79.14
    Blink 78.69
    The Stolen Earth 77.66
    Human Nature 76.58
    The Family of Blood 71.90
    Utopia 63.85
    Girl in the Fire Place 62.20
    The Satan Pit 61.80
    The Silence in the Library 61.17
    The Army of Ghosts 60.34
    The Sound of the Drums 53.03
    The Forest of the Dead 51.61
    Turn Left 49.38
    The Impossible planet 49.20
    School Reunion 49.00
    Journeys End 45.21
    The Last of the Time Lords 43.89
    Age of Steel 40.50
    Tooth and Claw 40.00
    Christmas Invasion 39.91
    The Shakespeare Code 38.46
    Fires of Pompeii 37.12
    Midnight 34.78
    Planet of the Ood 31.90
    The Lazarus Experiment 28.57
    Gridlock 28.47
    The Doctor's Daughter 27.19
    Rise of the Cybermen 26.30
    Voyage of the Damned 25.66
    The runaway Bride 23.31
    Partners in Crime 22.86
    Evolution of the Daleks 22.83
    Daleks in Manhatten 22.63
    The Sontaran Stratagem 21.35
    Love and monsters 20.57
    42 19.13
    The Poison Sky 18.75
    The Unicorn and the Wasp 17.86
    Smith and Jones 16.13
    Fear Her 14.79
    New Earth 10.60
    Idiot's Lantern 6.70

As per other years I think the second ranking (%ag of score getting 5 groans) reflects my personal opinions much better than the straightforward score out of 5.

BTW the average score of a DT episode is 3.95 out of 5.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 06:48 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    So the voting is still open on the last three episode, but how did we like series 4 (as determined by podshock voting)?

Well in terms of marks out of 5 the ranking goes like so:

WOW!

Thanks for doing those stats!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 09:02 AM EDT
    Bloody hell! Can you sort out my VAT as well? Big Grin

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 10:14 AM EDT
    Seriously Guys,
    it only took 15 minutes with excel. Most of the time was getting it into the Forum (which doesn't like to format using tabs). As you see I gave up trying to line the numbers up in the overall summaries.

Looking the overall rankings for the DT era, the only episode I would hottly dispute the positioning of is "Utopia" which by my humble opinion would have to come after classics such as "the girl in the Fireplace", "School reunion", "The silence in the library" and "The impossible Planet".

Also does everyone actually think that "the idiot's Lantern" is the worst episode of the Tennant era. I certainly don't. I would probably put "fear her" clearly at the bottom.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 12:53 PM EDT
    I cannot vote yet - Series 4 does not start in Canada for another two months so I haven't seen any episodes.

Cry

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 01:19 PM EDT
    This is one of my beefs with the way people vote on these polls. I assume most of us vote shortly after we've seen a particular episode. I still contend that these ratings are higher than they probably should be. The episode is still very fresh in our mind, and I think a lot of us are caught up in the excitement of the moment and tend to rate episodes higher than if they'd rated them a few months later. It'd be interesting to see some of these polls run again and how we'd all vote. Perfect example: School Reunion - 4.34 average?!?) Without SJS, this episode would rate down at the bottom with L&M and Fear Her. Seriously...take a minute and try to imagine this story without her. I can't remember much about this one other than the fact that SJS was in it. But everyone is so happy that SJS is back on Who and that she's another connection to the classic series and people are giving it 4's and 5's.

[Quote  by:  Palms] I cannot vote yet - Series 4 does not start in Canada for another two months so I haven't seen any episodes.
    You need to learn about the red-eye flights and make full use of the digital age we live in, my friend...

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 02:47 PM EDT
    Unless someone could put them onto digital versatile discs for me, I will be unable to do so

You see, I cannot watch new episodes without my 5 year old. He'd lose his mind.

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 03:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    Perfect example: School Reunion - 4.34 average?!?) Without SJS, this episode would rate down at the bottom with L&M and Fear Her.

Hang on - it had Anthony Head as well - but I agree it may well be more a 3.5 to 4.0

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 08:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]Without SJS, this episode would rate down at the bottom with L&M and Fear Her.

But she was in it! and it would have been good without her because it had "the shooty dog thing".

However the thought is irrelevant because the premis was about bringing back classic companions for sentimentality, the story was in there for padding (a bit like most RTD stories which are about character development not the story). The agrument is really "well it would have been really weak, if it were different", but it wasn't different so it wasn't weak. It my opinion it is well up in the top 10 episodes of New Who, personally it is above Human Nature and Utopia for me.

The scene where SJS finds the TARDIS is one of my all time favourites.

An episode I would take exception to being so high on the list is "the Shakespeare Code" it has virtually no redeaming qualities IMHO.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 18 2008 @ 08:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Palms] Unless someone could put them onto digital versatile discs for me, I will be unable to do so

You see, I cannot watch new episodes without my 5 year old. He'd lose his mind.

Just get a DVD player which can play DivX files, most have a USB connector and can play from a DVD-R, a CD-R, a USB stick or a USB harddrive. My Philips cost about $30US at Walmart.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 02:09 AM EDT
    Personally I think Series 4 has been the strongest since it returned in 2005. Only The Unicorn And The Wasp let it down and even that wasn't as bad as Fear Her or The Long Game. Face it - there were no stinkers at all this year. Well, unless you count Voyage of the Damned (and I don't).
    Also Donna has been, IMHO, the best companion since Sarah Jane. Totally believable in her reactions to the situations she found herself in and with real character growth. Even back to the classic companions characters started off as a 2-word description and ended as the same description. Swarthy Sailor, Noble Savage, Plucky Journalist, London Shopgirl, Medical Student etc.

Bollocks...sir.

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 04:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]Without SJS, this episode would rate down at the bottom with L&M and Fear Her.

But she was in it! and it would have been good without her because it had "the shooty dog thing".

However the thought is irrelevant because the premis was about bringing back classic companions for sentimentality, the story was in there for padding (a bit like most RTD stories which are about character development not the story). The agrument is really "well it would have been really weak, if it were different", but it wasn't different so it wasn't weak.

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. For me, it's a little like saying well look how pants the Genesis of the Daleks might have been if the Daleks weren't in it.
    I agree that these votes may not be the same if they were carried out again now. However, many stories may actually rate higher. I have to say that RTD stories grow on me. I didn't rate Rose that much the first time I saw it but have seen it four times since and liked it more each time. When I re-watched the Series 3 box set, I finally got the Last of the Time Lords and appreciated it much more than when it was first broadcast.
    And I agree with those above who panned Fear Her - it was boring in my opinion and boring is unforgiveable!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, August 09 2008 @ 12:21 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] Perfect example: School Reunion - 4.34 average?!?) Without SJS, this episode would rate down at the bottom with L&M and Fear Her. Seriously...take a minute and try to imagine this story without her. I can't remember much about this one other than the fact that SJS was in it. But everyone is so happy that SJS is back on Who and that she's another connection to the classic series and people are giving it 4's and 5's.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I still think this is one of the best episodes of the modern series. And it has only fractionally to do with SJS. I like the whole setup. What a fantastic, double-barreled teaser. The Doctor as your substitute teacher? C'mon, that's classic. The Krillitane are a fascinating species, and deserve to return. The idea of the "Skesis Paradigm" could have been just a "technobabble thing", but it turned into an emotionally relevant, powerfully simple concept. The confrontation between Head and Tennant at the swimming pool is one of the highlights of the entire new series. Sarah quite unexpectedly pushing Mickey's character forward: classic. Kenny was a great character and I hope we meet him as an older man, possibly played by a different actor. Hell, I'd love for the same actor to guest on SJA, frankly.

What little lets me down about the episode is actually SJS-related. Never have gotten my head around a) why the hell K-9 is in her car boot and b) why she's so isolated. I mean, I wanted some kinda of implication that she was waiting for the Doctor. Fine, that makes sense. But on the other hand, I think we needed a moment where after admitting this weakness, she bounces right back and says, but I've done perfectly well without you and your silly scarf, thank you very much. On the whole, I think SJS in the modern era has been slightly mis-pitched. If you look throughout her first two seasons in the classic era, she always had this dichotomy going on between going on "one more trip" and packing it in. That's why her farewell scene in "Hand of Fear" is so damned powerful. It's entirely true to what her character always was. She could take the Doctor or leave him. But in the modern era, she's ever so slightly too "worshipful" of the Doctor. And nowhere more so than "School Reunion".

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Saturday, August 09 2008 @ 06:54 AM EDT
    Without applying any kind of science (or Excel), I'd say I like DT's second series best; although series 4 (DT number 3) ran it very close.

I'd still say that Christopher Eccleston's series was probably the best of all.

Taking the new era as a whole, I know I'd put series 2 at the bottom of the 4 (but everything's relative - it's a not a criticism of series 2, just my personal place in the pecking order).

The stuff about SJ being worshipful of the Doctor is true. There were a couple of times when I wanted to grab her and say you're my all-time heroine, get a life!

I really hated that "Daleks", "I've met the Emperor" argument too.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, August 09 2008 @ 11:24 AM EDT
    Tardis-Knight,

I think on the whole I agree with you on the Tennant Series.

I too would put Series 2 at the top (The heights were just so high). Series 4 is next, very solid with a couple exceptional episodes. Then Series 3, a lackluster first half, a good third quarter, followed by a potentially great ending ruined by the worst ending of a series that didn't involve the Valeyard.

But the Ninth Doctor series, I would put at third between 4 and 3. I love "the unquiet dead", "Dalek", "father's day" and "empty child" but find the "doctor dances" an usatisfactory conclusion, I hate the Slytheen and don't care for long game/ bad wolf/ parting of the ways (except for the "I'm coming to get you" scene and the TARDIS rescuing Rose (which is kind of Iconic in my mind). Exceptions can be made for the finally since Daleks are present (but there not 'real' Daleks).

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed