The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Louis Interviews Patrick Troughton (1986)
    Louis Interviews Patrick Troughton (1986)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Event TV
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Event TV Views: 669
     Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 04:13 AM EDT
    After listening to the criticisms of the Stolen Earth/ Journey's End on various of the podcasts, many of the arguments come down to the fact that the critics don't like Event TV and that it contained "everything but the kitchen sink" for no good reason.
    Now, although I do agree that this constant need to get bigger at the end of each season is a dangerous trend whose inevitable consequences would always be disappointment. I mean this year we had reality itself under threat - where do we possibly go from there? (I think that the drama and emotion sould be the overwhelming elements not the threat necessarily).
    However, I don't agree necessarily that Event TV is a new phenomenon.
    I would like to draw everybody's attention to an episode called The Five Doctors. Now, that really was everything and the kitchen sink! And many of the critics on podcasts who have criticised Journey's End have praised the Five Doctors before now for exactly the same elements.
    Any thoughts on this?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 05:18 AM EDT

taken from feedback sent to another podcast...

Event television.”

I blame a couple of things for this… first is the nature or Doctor Who’s return to the BBC in 2005. We can all look back – smugly - and see what a success the show was when it came back but I genuinely believe that the show was only destined to be on air for its 13 weeks of ecclescake. – hence the reason he was hired for one year and given a narrative arc that took the ninth doctor through to that final battle.

If we had only got the 2005 season and it had ended there we wouldn’t have been happy but we could have lived with the structure.

And ending on a high note was repeated from that point onward just like Star Trek – next gen and its descendants did but more influentially. Buffy. – see im back to the influence of buffy on RTD. This is not a bad thing.

So for better or worse we are stuck with the end of a season being an event mainly targeted at the mass audience and not us hard core fans.

Which is how I believe it should be. The hard core fans will always watch it. We complain in the same way a person can complain about a family member. Our love and forgiveness knows no bounds. – Though things like Love and Monsters will scar us more than others.

The show isn’t our property. It belongs to the whims of the general public. The people who gave it 91 appreciation and not to the people… like me… who look to closely.

We arn’t putting our brains in neutral.
    We simply arn’t experiencing the show like we did when we were 10. But others are. We are watching their show. Not the other way round.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 06:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast]

taken from feedback sent to another podcast...

And ending on a high note was repeated from that point onward just like Star Trek – next gen and its descendants did but more influentially. Buffy. – see im back to the influence of buffy on RTD. This is not a bad thing.

Star Trek (and for that matter Stargate) often appeared to end on something of a cliffhanger. Buffy S4 interestingly had the "big climax" before the end.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 07:53 AM EDT
    So did Shakespeare for that matter - all types of narrative genre use the climax as resolution, a wrapping up of issues, a cathartic emotional event.
    I suppose that these days, what really drives this climax is looking at a season as an overall story arc -I agree that Buffy was a massive influence here.
    Before when we looked at a season as made up of six or so stories, each story had their own climax in the final episode.
    Now, with so many stand alone episodes, they still each have a climax but the climaxes build towads a point where the overall climax, some would say, needs to be greater than the individual climax or else there is no point in using the arc concept.
    Pesonally, I love story acs and large climaxes. However, as I mentioned earlier, I believe that there are other ways of doing this without uping the threat each year (the Earth in danger, then the universe in danger, then reality in danger, etc). I think that a major climax can be concentrated around one or two particular characters that we care a lot about and seeing some event having a major impact on their lives.
    I loved the climax at the end of Zagreus, for example.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 07:57 AM EDT
    Come to think of it, I think that Utopia would have made a great end of season climax leaving us wanting so much more for the following season or the Christmas special!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast]We arn’t putting our brains in neutral.

We simply arn’t experiencing the show like we did when we were 10. But others are. We are watching their show. Not the other way round.

Well, WELL said. I believe I heard the podcast to which you're referring, and the blatant elitism on display was infuriating.

An Appreciation Index of 91 doesn't mean that any reviewer is obligated to like "The Stolen Earth" or "Journey's End." However, I much prefer the humility of "I know people loved it, but I just don't get it" to "the episode didn't deserve those ratings" or "people just don't know any better".

As I said, infuriating.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed