The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Matthew Waterhouse Interviewed (1985)
    Matthew Waterhouse Interviewed (1985)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Which Peter Davison story do you enjoyed the ..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Which Peter Davison story do you enjoyed the most ? Views: 892
     Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 02:30 AM EST
    So which of the stories of the Peter Davison era did you like ? I will air your reply on my show.--Thanks Robert

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 02:41 AM EST
    Yay... Fivey Big Grin

Out of the ones I've seen, which alas ain't alot, I would have to say The Five Doctors, and possibly Arc of Infinity... and of course Time Crash. Again, I haven't seen many of his stories yet, but he is my favorite doctor after Ten.

I really enjoyed the companions he had, Nyssa, Tegan and even Adric and he was (and still is) just too damn cute.
    Needless to say, I'm truly envious of anyone who's met him, or will get to met him this November in America.

I really enjoyed Spare parts, one of his Big Finish audios as well.

bye bye david :(
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 03:08 AM EST
    earthshock.

it was had the first of appearance of the 80's cybermen.

also it was the first time a companion died. you wouldn't expect for that to happen! real surprise!

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 05:42 AM EST
    I've yet to watch Earthshock (but it is in my pile of DVDs I borrowed from my friend) so I will be watching it every soon.

I have a feeling that once I see it, it will become one of my favorite Fivey stories.

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 06:39 PM EST
    I think that I would have to go with Arc of Infinity as my favorite Fifth Doctor TV story. That being said, I think my #1 Fifth Doctor story would have to be the Big Finish story Spare Parts.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 06:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Justice] earthshock.

also it was the first time a companion died. you wouldn't expect for that to happen! real surprise!

If I remember correctly I believe the First Doctor had a companion by the name of Katarina who ended up sacrificing herself in one story (can't remember which one).

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 07:20 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  carrieking99] So which of the stories of the Peter Davison era did you like ? I will air your reply on my show.--Thanks Robert

Hard one....

In no order:-

Black Orchid
    Enlightenment
    The Caves of Androzani

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 07:44 PM EST
    Caves of Androzani (possibly my favorite Classic 'Who story ever.)
    Black Orchid
    Planet of Fire

"You would make a good Dalek."

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 07:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  kwlinder]
    [Quote  by:  Justice] earthshock.

If I remember correctly I believe the First Doctor had a companion by the name of Katarina who ended up sacrificing herself in one story (can't remember which one).

Yes Katarina was the first companion to die in Doctor Who, she arrived in the last episode of the Myth Makers, and left in episode 4 of Dalek Master Plan (please correct me if that's wrong) She got sucked out into space in episode 4 can't remember the full details of it, but even in audio, it's an harrowing scene.
    Then it was Sara Kingdom who was next to go, she died in the final part of the Dalek Master Plan, being aged to death by the Dalek's Time Destructor? (correct yes?)
    But Adric is slightly different to these two girls, because Katarina was only a companion for 5 episodes, Sara for only 8 episodes.
    Adric was around for 10 stories, a total of 38 episodes.
    So the impact when he died, was alot greater, because he was in it for so long.

Sunday, November 09 2008 @ 07:54 PM EST
    Spare Parts ;-)

okay, "the five Doctors" if you insist on a TV episode.

Davison is not one of my favorite TV doctors, as noted previously.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 10 2008 @ 11:43 AM EST
    My favoite episode is "Kinda". It provides us with the first appearance of the Mara who would come back in the next season in "Snakedance".

BTW: Romana II has the correct info on the companions that died in the series.
    Katarina died in episode 4 of "The Dalek's Master Plan: The Traitors" She was being held prisoner by Kirkson (an escaped prisoner from Desperus) and was hijacking the spaceship that The Doctor, Steven, Brett Vyon, and she were using. If they didn't do what he said he would kill her - but in a struggle with Katarina in the airlock she hit the button that opened the outer airlock and ejected both of them into space.

Sara Kingdom died in the same story but in the final episode (The Destruction of Time). The Doctor had sent Steven and Sara to the TARDIS where they would be safe but Sara had returned to look for The Doctor not knowing that he had rigged the Dalek's Time Destructor to destroy itself. however the method he used caused the people in the nearby area to age and before they two could make it to the TARDIS she got so old that she died and then crumbled to dust. The Doctor barely made it with the help of Steven who came out of the TADRIS to help them into the ship but had time enough to save only one - much to his dismay. He saved The Doctor but he suffered emotionally because he couldn't save them both.

Adric's death was in the story "Earthshock" and since that story is more readily available I'll leave that for you to watch. Just remember he saved the Earth by dragging the ship back in time to before there were humans on Earth.

NOTE: in "The Dalek's Master Plan" Brett Vyon (played by Nicholas Courtney - yes, THAT Nicholas Courtney) died in the story but he is not considered to be a companion of The Doctor even though he did help in the story. He is disqualified from the companion list because he never rode in the TARDIS. However tha actor who played him became a honorary companion when he traveled with not one but "Three Doctors" (in the story with the same name) as Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 11 2008 @ 12:37 AM EST
    Frontios is Davison's best story, purely from a character point of view. It's kinda hard to watch the whole thing because, as usual, JNT didn't understand he didn't have the money to do a science fiction show. But if you want a story that showcases the Fifth Doctor in his prime, Frontios (and especially episode 1) is the way to go.

That said, I'm also quite partial to King's Demons. It's got a nice echo of the Doctor/Master rivalry in The Sea Devils, and Tegan is, for once, usefully *censored*y. A lot of people complain about the ambitionless plot of the Master, but it was one hell of a lot more sensible than anything else the Ainley Master had done up to that point. I mean, really. What makes more sense? Playing the long game of historical manipulation by subverting a pivotal event? Or somehow trying to trap the Doctor in a mathematical construct that wholly depended upon Adric's skills? Gimme the Magna Carta over CVEs any day of the week. On top of all that it's actually a prequel to The Five Doctors, with its last moments dovetailing neatly into the opening of the 20th Anniversary Special. I didn't know that when I originally saw it, because we saw The Five Doctors a good year before Davison's first full season on my local PBS station. But when viewed in sequential order, Demons comes across as an interesting prelude, rather than a weirdly disjointed two-parter.

I also love Planet of Fire. I wish that we had gotten the full episode without Peri, but the little glimpses of the Turlough/5th Doctor combo are as tantalizing as the Adric/4th Doctor bits in The Keeper of Traken. It's also interesting to me that here, at the end, Turlough's mystery was more interesting, and far more rushed, than any of the intrigue that originally accompanied him on the show. Stripped of the machinations of the Black Guardian, as well as the contentious relationship with Tegan, Turlough turns out to have a great backstory that's over far before it's worn out its welcome.

And I've got a thing for Four to Doomsday, the first-produced Davison story. Sure, everyone's kinda stumbling around in the dark, but the stumbling's actually interesting. The best part of the whole thing is when the Fifth Doctor flat-out calls Adric stupid. This right here is where Adric's character basically died. Had the relationship stayed about the same as with the Fourth Doctor, we'd probably have been able to tolerate Adric. But when they let the Doctor unapologetically say what the majority of the audience was already feeling, Adric was toast. Beyond that, I dig the central scientific conceit of the story, even if the whole thing kinda falls apart in the last episode. Not the best bit of Who ever made, but a damn sight better than either Colin or Sylvester's first stories.

Overall, Davison's stories are generally excrutiating to watch if you're looking for a simple, solid plot. There's way too much technobabble in this part of the canon. But the plots do tend to be a damned sight more comprehensible than most of the JNT years. And, fortunately, Davison somehow manages to make the mundanity of his portrayal hard to ignore.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, November 11 2008 @ 03:39 AM EST
    Caves of Androzani for me. One of the best classic Who stories ever. On the other hand Black Orchid is the worst Who story ever.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 11 2008 @ 05:56 AM EST
    Here is the ones i like, and not in order, Kinda, Earthshock, The Arc of Infinity, Enlightenment,Plant of Fire, The Five Doctors and The Caves of Androzani ( what a way to end it). Also i would like to know from everybody what if Peter Davison stayed on for one more year,and was given the stories that Colin Baker was given, which stories would have been better with peter?

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored