The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    What Not to Wear
    What Not to Wear
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Christmas 08 (Children In Need Teaser) [Spoil..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Christmas 08 (Children In Need Teaser) [Spoilers] Views: 3641
     Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 02:34 PM EST
    On to the brief scene with the cyberhead - anybody notice that the pipes (for want of a better word) that normally run square to match the head are diagagonally on this one.
    What's up with that?

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 02:54 PM EST
    well, if this is just The One Doctor (like the big finish story), then its all a set up by "The Doctor" and his companion, who are con artists. So, then the cyberman is probably part of the con, yes?

As to the cleanliness of the scene: Perhaps we aren't on Earth this Christmas? Maybe its a planet called Dickens, but they are quite affluent?

Louis, I couldn't get your embedded video to work - video not available or something. Perhaps a new one could be embedded? (didn't try it myself, didn't want to get it wrong).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 05:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    Louis, I couldn't get your embedded video to work - video not available or something. Perhaps a new one could be embedded? (didn't try it myself, didn't want to get it wrong).

Looks like it has been removed from YouTube. Cry

You will probably have to look for it elsewhere on YouTube.

I don't understand why they demanded YouTube to take it down, it is only a two minute clip and if nothing else, it helps further promote the Children in Need cause.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 07:56 PM EST
    Like many other people have already said, so far the episode does tend to lend itself well to the The One Doctor storyline. Ros(e)ita's over-the-top accent and crude vocabulary (crude for a companion, including Ace) is similar to Clare Buckfield's portrayl of Sally-Anne. And there is the whole Rosita/Rose and Sally-Anne/Sarah Jane bit of business. The use of a real screwdriver in lieu of a sonic screwdriver also reminded me of the "port-o-potty instead of a police box" joke found in the audio drama, but maybe that's stretching things.

If the epsiode is not borrowing from The One Doctor, maybe the story is a take on Westworld: a common bloke spends a small fortune on living out "The Doctor & Companion" fantasy through a lifelike simulation, only to then find himself facing a real threat. It's not the likeliest of possibilites, but it did cross my mind. It would explain why a marketplace in 1851 looked so clean.

Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 10:28 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Fairport]Ros(e)ita's over-the-top accent

I have little people in my house and i'm therefore qualified to say she uses the same accent as she does in the kids show 'Kerching', which is not bad btw!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 10:50 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Fairport]If the epsiode is not borrowing from The One Doctor, maybe the story is a take on Westworld: a common bloke spends a small fortune on living out "The Doctor & Companion" fantasy through a lifelike simulation, only to then find himself facing a real threat. It's not the likeliest of possibilites, but it did cross my mind. It would explain why a marketplace in 1851 looked so clean.

You know, thats not a bad thought. Who knows if it will go that way but that is some good thinking.

You know, I didnt even notice how clean everything looked until the Doctor started talking to the little boy. And I said to myself, "That kids face needs to be dirtier." HAHA

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, November 15 2008 @ 10:50 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I don't understand why they demanded YouTube to take it down, it is only a two minute clip and if nothing else, it helps further promote the Children in Need cause.

The BBC owns the rights and the BBC has the sole discretion as to how the clip is to be shown and/or distributed. Posting on YouTube does not constitute fair use, neither does "promotion" without the permission of the BBC. And since this is work for charity, the rights issues become more complex with regards to performers/royalties/replay, etc. I would assume that they also would like to defer promotion (of the episode) in other regions to their licensees (SciFi, BBCAmerica, ABC, CBC, etc.), as per the various agreements they sign. In most cases, the people watching on YouTube are probably not donating to Children In Need, so that argument really isn't valid. It is like saying "Let's steal from the BBC so we can help the children." And, if the BBC doesn't assert their rights vis-a-vis their property, then they could lose those rights (most copyright law seems to work that way). This last part is probably the most important.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 02:45 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    The BBC owns the rights and the BBC has the sole discretion as to how the clip is to be shown and/or distributed. Posting on YouTube does not constitute fair use, neither does "promotion" without the permission of the BBC. And since this is work for charity, the rights issues become more complex with regards to performers/royalties/replay, etc. I would assume that they also would like to defer promotion (of the episode) in other regions to their licensees (SciFi, BBCAmerica, ABC, CBC, etc.), as per the various agreements they sign. In most cases, the people watching on YouTube are probably not donating to Children In Need, so that argument really isn't valid. It is like saying "Let's steal from the BBC so we can help the children." And, if the BBC doesn't assert their rights vis-a-vis their property, then they could lose those rights (most copyright law seems to work that way). This last part is probably the most important.

Actually that how trademarks work, where you have to assert your ownership in order to keep it.

It probably has more to do with having it exclusively available at the BBC Children in Need site which unfortunately restricts the content by IP location. Again, this makes no sense for a charity fundraising cause to restrict it in this way as it only restricts the possible donations it can receive. The issue would be moot if they removed this location restriction from their website.

If one is determined enough, one can use an IP proxy to get around this needless restriction.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 12:08 PM EST

screwdriver!

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 01:38 PM EST
    and... umm.. fake snow.

(most likely soap shavings from the looks of it).

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 07:23 PM EST
    See I knew it XD

I find that highly amusing that he's using a real ye olde screwdriver and calling it sonic. ^^

Something about this story is fake, whether it's the setting, the place or Morrissey's Doctor himself it's hard to guess until we see it come Christmas time.

Also, the name Rosita could be a nod to Rose too.

bye bye david :(

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 07:43 PM EST
    Fantastic High-Res pic post Tin-Dog Podcast!!

And absolutely brilliant call romana II!!!
    I had noticed that his screwdriver wasnt right but didnt think to look it it was a REAL screwdriver. lol. Great job!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 10:04 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] It probably has more to do with having it exclusively available at the BBC Children in Need site which unfortunately restricts the content by IP location. Again, this makes no sense for a charity fundraising cause to restrict it in this way as it only restricts the possible donations it can receive. The issue would be moot if they removed this location restriction from their website.

So, you expect the BBC just to ignore protecting its properties just because it is using them to promote a charity appeal? The YouTube video was posted outside the Pudsey site and therefore was not being used as part of the appeal. So is what you are saying that it is OK to steal from a charity?!? That is what was restricting donations more than the BBC's region blocking, as UK viewers may have found that version before the Pudsey one and then not realize that it was part of the appeal.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 10:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] well, if this is just The One Doctor (like the big finish story), then its all a set up by "The Doctor" and his companion, who are con artists. So, then the cyberman is probably part of the con, yes?

I was just about to speculate that it could be like the Voyager episode with the fake Voyager crew of con-artists (Live Fast and Prosper, I think) when I read this post. I haven't listened to The One Doctor yet, but I guess now I have to. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 11:09 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] well, if this is just The One Doctor (like the big finish story), then its all a set up by "The Doctor" and his companion, who are con artists. So, then the cyberman is probably part of the con, yes?

I was just about to speculate that it could be like the Voyager episode with the fake Voyager crew of con-artists (Live Fast and Prosper, I think) when I read this post. I haven't listened to The One Doctor yet, but I guess now I have to. Big Grin

The One Doctor is a pretty good story. One of my favorite parts of the story is the the impostor Doctor's Tardis groan.. made me laugh everytime I heard it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored