The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ce-le-brate!!! A Dalek christmas (Part 3)
    Ce-le-brate!!! A Dalek christmas (Part 3)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Christmas 08 (Children In Need Teaser) [Spoil..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Christmas 08 (Children In Need Teaser) [Spoilers] Views: 3740
     Sunday, November 16 2008 @ 11:54 PM EST
    I can't believe I noticed the screwdriver before anyone else here, maybe it was because I was staring at David Morrissey far more than I probably really should. XD

I'm going to be getting the One Doctor this coming week, it sounds just up my alley.
    Plus, I'm loving Colin on audio ^-^

bye bye david :(
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 02:57 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    So, you expect the BBC just to ignore protecting its properties just because it is using them to promote a charity appeal? The YouTube video was posted outside the Pudsey site and therefore was not being used as part of the appeal. So is what you are saying that it is OK to steal from a charity?!? That is what was restricting donations more than the BBC's region blocking, as UK viewers may have found that version before the Pudsey one and then not realize that it was part of the appeal.

I am saying that there should not be region restrictions on the video on the Pudsey site. Why limit your possible donations by limiting the fundraising video to just one region? And just what are they protecting? A couple minutes from an upcoming 60 minute special airing next month? Even if you put aside the charity aspect of it, it serves as a promo for their special and the series itself.

If they want to restrict to the Pudsey site, so be it, but it should be open to all to reap the most benefit of fundraising for the charity. Having worked for non-profit organizations for the past decade or so, I know how vital fundraising is to sustain the organizations and their mission statements to their causes. All of which would be egger to open the possibilities of enticing donations from as many sources as possible, not restricting them.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 03:05 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]I am saying that there should not be region restrictions on the video on the Pudsey site. Why limit your possible donations by limiting the fundraising video to just one region? And just what are they protecting? A couple minutes from an upcoming 60 minute special airing next month? Even if you put aside the charity aspect of it, it serves as a promo for their special and the series itself.

And that's the problem.

The BBC would create trouble for itself if it used its (publically funded) internet services to promote its own (publically funded) TV shows outside the UK.

This would increase the ire of media outlets outside the UK and put pressure on the UK over what would be seen as state subsidy to something competing with commercial media companies abroad.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 04:32 AM EST
    Theories on this (which I am sure I will ramble about in a future TDP.)

i) I think its like "the one doctor" ONLY in the seance that he isnt the real doctor. The rest of the Plot is very diffrent.

(Any one else hear the other audio where theres a mad man who thinks he is the doctor?... may be closer to that?)

OR...See iii

ii) None of it is real... the snow.. the set.. all too clean.. and HER WIG! Makes Gwens hair look real!

iii) This all got me thinking... Maybe its not set in Victorian London at all but on A "Doctor"
    Theme park/Living Museum. Where the facts are just a little wrong... IE Screwdriver... The Cyber Wraith looks too clean and Rusted but not in a good way.

iv) The "Other Doctor" is Over acting (see three)

v) The Idea of a Doctor Who theme park as a plot device is mine and I will be banging on Big Finished door with it if it isnt what happens with this years Xmas special.

vi) We can get 4 pages out of 2 mins of TV... How great are we!

vii) Leave the BBC alone... its doing its best.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 06:05 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tom Hagen]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]I am saying that there should not be region restrictions on the video on the Pudsey site. Why limit your possible donations by limiting the fundraising video to just one region? And just what are they protecting? A couple minutes from an upcoming 60 minute special airing next month? Even if you put aside the charity aspect of it, it serves as a promo for their special and the series itself.

And that's the problem.

The BBC would create trouble for itself if it used its (publically funded) internet services to promote its own (publically funded) TV shows outside the UK.

This would increase the ire of media outlets outside the UK and put pressure on the UK over what would be seen as state subsidy to something competing with commercial media companies abroad.

But they already sell the content to outside markets. Through distribution deals with other television markets, DVD sales, online distributions (i.e. iTunes), etc.

Like the past Christmas specials, this one will find itself being sold to outside markets. The 2 minute preview is not only serving to promote those potential sales, but more importantly it can help raise more funds for the cause. It's not like they are giving away the entire special as a fundraising promotion for BBC Children in Need.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 06:19 AM EST
    Speaking of iTunes, there have been other charity fundraising campaigns via iTunes. Another way to help raise money for the cause is to offer the 2 minute preview for a donation on iTunes (internationally) in addition to clip being seen on the CiN television special. Sure, they would be some that would just wait it out and perhaps not make the nominal donation to download something they will see anyway as part of the whole special when it is available to them. But it would be better than closing access off based on geography as they are doing now. Once again it would help raise funds for the cause.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 09:43 AM EST
    Here's another thought too. Not sure how this fits in, but since this is possibly a Dickensesque themed Christmas, could Charles Dickens himself have left notes, anecdotes, etc. somewhere about his meeting with the Doctor and Rose that caused whatever it was we just saw to come to fruition?

I don't remember the year of 'The Unquiet Dead' so this may take place before it, but just a thought. Something is fishy for sure!

It's like last year's speculation on the 'Titanic' that turned out to be a ship modeled after the Titanic!

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 11:28 AM EST
    I'm in agreement with those who think this is some elaborate hoax. Perhaps some kind of trap for The Doctor or maybe even a training ground for another attempted invasion of Earth (a la The Android Invasion).

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 11:35 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo] Here's another thought too. Not sure how this fits in, but since this is possibly a Dickensesque themed Christmas, could Charles Dickens himself have left notes, anecdotes, etc. somewhere about his meeting with the Doctor and Rose that caused whatever it was we just saw to come to fruition?

I don't remember the year of 'The Unquiet Dead' so this may take place before it, but just a thought. Something is fishy for sure!

The Unquiet Dead: 1869
    The Next Doctor: December 24, 1851
    Though the dates dont lend themselves to this theory, this is a brlliant thought. Way to think out of the box!
    ----
    I will give Morrissey this; the one time I can believe him as the Doctor is when both Doctors are leaning forward and the doors burst open and they jump back and Morrissey says, "Oh, thats new." The way in which he says it is very "Doctor-ish".

The more you watch this clip the more things scream that it isnt real. Things dont add up. The New Doctor's bravado and overacting. The casual spilling of 'Doctor Info'. And New Doctor asks for his sonic screwdriver to receive a regular one. Then the cyber'creature' pops out and he points it like its going to really work.

I've also been crossing the 2:22 intro with this trailer to try and think of things.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-JAi4CGGM4

This image from that trailer has me perplexed. Those some kind of weapon? Hmm..

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 01:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  General_Chris]This image from that trailer has me perplexed. Those some kind of weapon? Hmm..

Perhaps he's been made an honorary Wookie?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 02:23 PM EST
    "Speaking of iTunes, there have been other charity fundraising campaigns via iTunes."

again Louis.... you're right! American Idol has been using iTunes to help them with their "Idol Gives Back" charity. Will be 3 years now this season.
    I, for one, will be getting the specials from iTunes if that means I can see them before Sci-Fi shows them! I really hate waiting over here LOL! It's not fair that the BBC (on the website) has a lock on the videos and can't been shown outside the UK. I've had to find everything on utube!

Take care and be safe.... Blessed Be!

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 04:16 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]But they already sell the content to outside markets. Through distribution deals with other television markets, DVD sales, online distributions (i.e. iTunes), etc.

The BBC sells them - has to sell them - to outside markets. It can't broadcast to them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 04:39 PM EST
    Could this puppy have a more One Doctor vibe about it? Morrisey's "Doctor" screams, "I"m a total fake", which rather takes all the fun out of the title.

If this is happening in our universe it'll be a waste. What could redeem it is if it were taking place in Pete's World, and somehow RTD was finally giving us a Torchwood creation myth for that universe.

On face value, though, it immediately seemed to promise the least interesting Christmas we've had. Honestly, the only thing I've seen in any trailer that has vaguely interested me was Dervla Kirwan. That said, Voyage of the Damned had what I thought were the best trailers for a Christmas episode, and it turned out to be a steaming pile. So maybe it's good, in a perverse way, that almost nothing I've seen about this story interests me.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 04:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tom Hagen]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]But they already sell the content to outside markets. Through distribution deals with other television markets, DVD sales, online distributions (i.e. iTunes), etc.

The BBC sells them - has to sell them - to outside markets. It can't broadcast to them.

We are talking about a 2 minute clip to help their own charitable cause, not the entire special.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, November 17 2008 @ 05:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]Perhaps he's been made an honorary Wookie?

HAHAHAHA Mr. Green Thats it. Its final. The real Doctor showed up so he's now an inspiring Wookie. HA

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored