The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    TARDIS Playset with action figures
    TARDIS Playset with action figures
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  The Next Doctor [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Next Doctor [SPOILERS] Views: 13843
     Sunday, December 21 2008 @ 09:03 AM EST

This might be a Spoiler as it is about a cast member - but there will be SPOILERS in this Thread

Here is the Actress Dervla Kirwan who plays Miss Hartigan in 'The Next Doctor' - she was on Saturday Kitchen.

I didn't watch it all but I don't think she gave any spoilers in the show:-

Save to see full size

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, December 21 2008 @ 09:25 AM EST
    I don't get it Dave, what's spoilerish about it?

Does she make rubbish cakes or something? Razz

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 08:26 PM EST

Since it's been many hours since the show aired and this is the first thread (and there's not much here), i take it as a bad sign.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 07:09 PM EST

EDIT - mess up my last post here.

Didn't like it much - will post more later.

:-(

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 09:46 PM EST
    1 part godzilla, 1 part temple of doom, a couple of doctors, some cybermen and a pinch of holiday cheer.

Coming to theaters this fall, Frau Blücher and Harpo Marx star in 'The Shadow Proclamation'!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 09:55 PM EST
    SPOILERS!!!

It's 8:43 CST. The Next Doctor aired almost nine hours ago in the UK and the only comment we have is from Dave who didn't like it much? (edit: and Rheimbro who commented while I was writing my diatribe) Shocking really.

And I mean the lack of posts, because I kind of agree with Dave. In fact, as I watched it, I found myself making mental lists of everything I need to do tomorrow (thank you cards, after Christmas sales, pack for New Years trip, etc). I have thought about it and I can think of one word to describe it: Trite. The Doctor would have been better served if RTD HAD done a complete re-hash of The One Doctor.

Here are my general problems with it:

Poor orphan children
    Man-hating woman who becomes "king"? (really? shouldn't she be queen?)
    Exploitation of aforementioned poor orphan children
    Lost possession turns out to be a child
    Rosita is only good enough for a nursemaid to child
    Doctor notes Rosita's name is close to Rose's name
    Wookie-like cybermen
    Saving of the aforementioned poor orphan children

What did I like?
    Jackson Lake leading a cheer for the Doctor
    Jackson not being able to handle the Tardis (seems reasonable to me)
    The Doctor having Christmas dinner with the Lakes and their new nursemaid Rosita (except that Rosita is just the nursemaid).

I'll watch it again tomorrow, and maybe I'll have a more favorable view of it them.

Now, let the disagreements begin!

(by the way, my mantra for the evening is any Doctor is better than no Doctor, but only just)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 10:14 PM EST
    Thought it was okay, not sure about the CyberKing! Great CGI though! Best moment (apart from every scene Morrisery was in!) seeing the 10 Doctors of course!

Really starting to feel a wee bit drunk, so i'll grab my whiskey and speak more when I watch it again! Merry Xmas everyone!

Here's looking forward to 'The Planet of the Dead'!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 10:45 PM EST
    I took the whole "cyber king" (and not "queen") thing to be explained by the Doctor's comment about what a "cyber king" is. My memory is not prefect, but it was something like "A ship- dreadnaught class, for conquering worlds, with a conversion unit capable of upgrading millions."

So it seems the "cyber king" was the whole robot/ship thing, and not just the mind operating it.

But I agree that the story was kind of "meh". Of course, I was sure going into it that Morrissey was not going to be the actual Doctor.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 10:52 PM EST

I thought this was a fun romp for Christmas. It had its dark bits, but it also had its lighter moments.

Let's see, some homages: the Cybership was similar to the K-1 Robot. The infostamp with the prior Doctors was a flashback to Earthshock. The Cybershades remind me of Spare Parts, where they even cyberneticised their pets and beasts of burden.

So, what else could Rosita have aspired to in Victorian London? Come on, really?

Of course, Cybermen would be led by a Cyberking. With the exception of the depiction of the Cyberwoman in Torchwood, gender is really not something important to the Cyberrace, as they increase their numbers by converting others, not reproduction.

The whole story of Jackson Lake I liked. He went from having lost everything, to having hope for the future with the return of his son, in whom something of his wife survives. It was interesting to see how a human could come to terms with the vague "memories" of a Timelord. This is also a counterpoint to the end of the Donna story, where Donna could not physically handle having the actual sum of the Doctor's experiences, while Jackson is dealing with just having the faint memories extrapolated from the Cybermen's infostamp.

I felt that the end of the "Cyberking" was written well enough, but that the on screen representation of the Cybermen, and then Hartigan just bursting in a CGI effect diminished the moment.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 11:00 PM EST
    I think the Cyberking was the biggest let down of the story. Everything was leading towards a crescendo and it didn't follow through. There were undoubtedly other ways the Cyberking idea could have been played out, but that will end up being discussed in the forums.

I did enjoy David Morrisey as the other Doctor. He was a bit full of himself, but the same could be said for William Hartnell and Colin Baker.

The earlier complaints about Rosita being a nurse maid don't make sense to me. It was too soon for Jackson Lake to even consider having a more serious relationship with her and for the times, an African womans public role in society would have been very limited, even amongst those who considered her an equal. Having Rosita as the nurse maid would be the perfect role, allowing her to remain in the family.

It was absolutely fantastic to see all the Doctors and it might add some interest in viewers of the new series to take a more serious look at the classic series.

It also showed that the Daleks knew who the ninth Doctor was, lending some credence to the theory that he was the one who fought in the time war.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 11:23 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian]It also showed that the Daleks knew who the ninth Doctor was, lending some credence to the theory that he was the one who fought in the time war.

Did you mean the eighth Doctor? I agree, it was nice to see a reference there.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 25 2008 @ 11:36 PM EST
    I thought the first 45 minutes, while it has some minor problems, were pretty good.

It did lead on for quite awhile whether or not the other Doctor was the Doctor or not, or what he was doing at all (whether the hero or a thief, etc).

The last 15 minutes, with all the giant robot stuff, was the kind of crap that RTD continues to write that has lead people to want him gone. Ugh.

As for the 'little' problems (beyond the stupidity of giant robots), the biggest one that springs to mind is the infostamps. Specifically, how an infostamp with all this info on the Doctor came into existence. It's another of those semi-sized plot holes that RTD is so good for throwing out there every couple of stories he writes. Confused

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 12:22 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  rheimbro] 1 part godzilla, 1 part temple of doom, a couple of doctors, some cybermen and a pinch of holiday cheer.

1 part "Iron Giant", you mean. :-)

I figured out the Next Doctor's story right away. It didn't diminish the story too much for me, though having the Iron Giant Stomping around London while the contents of its head stood stock still without as much as an off-balance quake, was a bit stupid.

I didn't hate this special. I thought it was more or less above par compared to the Titanic one, which I thought was FAR more stupid in almost all ways. Including having the villain stowed away on board the very ship he's trying to crash for insurance money... uh... who thought of that?

Anyway, this one was far better.

My wife thought that the evil woman was played by the same actress who played one of the two women who initially recruited Captain Jack into Torchwood back in the early 20th century. Anyone know if that's true? And why does she look so much like Miranda Richardson?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 12:42 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

My wife thought that the evil woman was played by the same actress who played one of the two women who initially recruited Captain Jack into Torchwood back in the early 20th century. Anyone know if that's true? And why does she look so much like Miranda Richardson?

Sean.

Early Torchwood...

Amy Manson played Alice Guppy
    Heather Craney played Emily Holroyd

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 12:45 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  silvanthalas] As for the 'little' problems (beyond the stupidity of giant robots), the biggest one that springs to mind is the infostamps. Specifically, how an infostamp with all this info on the Doctor came into existence. It's another of those semi-sized plot holes that RTD is so good for throwing out there every couple of stories he writes. Confused

This is not a Russell T. Davies original. This is a copy of a scene from Earthshock where the Cybermen are examining info on the Doctor on their holovid, or whatever it was.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored