The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Gallifrey One Masquerade
    Gallifrey One Masquerade
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  The Next Doctor [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Next Doctor [SPOILERS] Views: 13164
     Friday, December 26 2008 @ 01:52 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]This is not a Russell T. Davies original. This is a copy of a scene from Earthshock where the Cybermen are examining info on the Doctor on their holovid, or whatever it was.

Yeah, well, I try and forget about anything with Adric in it. Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 02:52 AM EST
    I can't believe how much many people disliked this.
    What do you people want? You never ever seem to be happy with anything.
    I remember people saying they wanted this and that in a christmas special (old enemy, not set in modern times) yet when you get what you said you wanted you aren't happy. I just don't understand fandom sometimes.
    Sometimes if I love an episode, and everyone else hates it, I feel really stupid because I couldn't see the problems that everyone else could.
    Is there something wrong with me for loving this episode.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Moving on.

I loved this. Every moment, every scene. Best Christmas special ever for me.
    It was everything I was hoping it to be (expect for David Morrissey being the Eleventh Doctor... but that was just my inner fangirl talking)

David Morrissey was as fantastic as I hoped he would be, and was absolutely joyed to see his name in the opening credits.
    I loved the Steampunk type design of the Cyberking, the setting and did I mention David Morrissey. ^^

It's a 5 easy, 4.5 if people are going to start telling me "why did you like it is was so trite"
    I'll save the rest of my throughts for my own podcast and commentary and of course for the live podshock.

bye bye david :(
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 04:17 AM EST
    You all seem very hard to please to me, personally I enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best xmas specials. The writing had depth so it will stand up to repeat viewings admitadally we were lied to by the title but that is a minor flaw as the way this was covered was well written and acted. The Iron Man climax wasn't original but was dramatic and entertaining surely all we need of a conclusion. Tennant was excellent as ever making me laugh and touching me with the darker more emotional moments. For my mini podcast view go here

EDIT: Fixed link at end of post which was messing with the formatting of the page.—Taras

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 05:36 AM EST
    4.5 out of 5 for me. Much much better than last year (no rubbish wooden "acting" from Kylie for a start, the worst guest actor in Who history ?).
    Fun, exciting & a really good story. Loved David Morrissey & Kervla Derwin, although I have to admit I have always fancied her since "Ballykissangel". Seeing all 10 Doctors was just wonderful. Laughed out loud when I saw the balloon TARDIS. Bring on "Planet of The Dead" !

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 06:17 AM EST
    Now I didn't get a lot of sleep the night before but I was watching The Next Doctor and fell asleep at the end. I thought the first part was interesting, but as soon as you realize it wasn't the Doctor, I lost all interest. Seemed like an easy out to me.

The giant robot at the end was a bit over the top to me. I didn't feel any sense of impending doom as you knew the Doctor was going to save the day and saving children all looking like Tiny Tim--yeah, just didn't work for me.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but it was not one of my favorites. I rank it toward the bottom of the Christmas specials.

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 06:39 AM EST
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved it.

I'd hate this episode to be like Last of the Timelords or Adric is for me.

(I love them both heaps, but I seem to be one of the few people in fandom that do)

bye bye david :(

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 06:51 AM EST
    Things / Dialogs i liked:
    (1) the reference to Rose (Murray Gold even had the Rose music subtly underlying the melody)
    Oh, I should introduce Rosita.
    My faithful companion, always
    telling me off. Well,
    they do, don't they?
    Good name. Hello, Rosita.

(2) the flashback with all the doctors in black and white (the infostamp projecting on the wall)

(3)the new meaning of TARDIS - Tethered Aerial
    Release Developed In Style

(4)the Doctor's admittance of love -

Tell me one thing.

All those facts and figures
    I saw of The Doctor's life,
    you were never alone.

All those bright
    and shining companions!

But not any more?

No.
    Might I ask, why not?

They leave.

Because they should.

Or they find someone else.

And some of them...
    some of them forget me.

I suppose, in the end...
    ..they break my heart.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 07:08 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  silvanthalas] As for the 'little' problems (beyond the stupidity of giant robots), the biggest one that springs to mind is the infostamps. Specifically, how an infostamp with all this info on the Doctor came into existence. It's another of those semi-sized plot holes that RTD is so good for throwing out there every couple of stories he writes. Confused

This is not a Russell T. Davies original. This is a copy of a scene from Earthshock where the Cybermen are examining info on the Doctor on their holovid, or whatever it was.

There is a throwaway line in the story that says the infostamps were "stolen from the daleks inside the void, I'd say". The cybermen in this story are based on those created on the parallel Earth and would not have had any knowledge of earlier Doctors, which would support the idea that they got it from the daleks. On the other hand, why would the daleks need such technology? They never forget a Doctor, current or past.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 08:29 AM EST
    so then i ask one more question: if the cybermen escaped the void, is there possibility that some form of Dalek / Davros was there and also escaped (again)?

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 08:51 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  spoo] so then i ask one more question: if the cybermen escaped the void, is there possibility that some form of Dalek / Davros was there and also escaped (again)?

I wouldn't think so. Davros was never in the void, he was locked in the time war until dalek Caan freed him. He created daleks from his own body cells and those were apparently destroyed in 'Journey's End'. Davros and/or some of the daleks could have escaped, but we will have to wait and see about that.

There is a possibility that some of the daleks in the void could have escaped, like the cybermen did, but there isn't any way to know. The Doctor seemed to present the idea that everything in the void was destroyed except for those cybermen that had escaped, but that may have been just his opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 09:31 AM EST
    About the only things that seriously disappointed me in this episode were Morrissey's flat, predictable acting and Kirwan's inability to ever be used again. The former makes me wonder what all the Morrissey buzz was in aid of, and the latter kills me, cause she'd make the most fabulous companion. But, hey, at least we've returned to giving the Christmas specials actual, y'know, plots. It wasn't a classic episode but it was very far from last year's muck. On pure story grounds, it's probably my second favorite holiday outing.

To the extent that its content is seriously questionable, it suffers, as I fear most of these 2009 specials will, from something that's not its fault. Except for the last one, they'll probably all be fairly forgettable. They aren't really building towards anything, nor using elements that will likely be carried forward. And they need to be wholly resolved within their limited runtime. So, from a certain point of view, this episode naturally can't be as good as "The Christmas Invasion" or even "The Runaway Bride", because it contains little of relevance to the past or future of the program. In other words, this episode suffers simply because we know Season 5 is going to be a mild reboot. It's like reading TV Comic adventures of the Second Doctor written in the long gap after Troughton had resigned, but before Pertwee appeared. Great stories, but made less relevant by what Barry Letts subsequently did. In the words of US editorialist, Rachel Maddow, "We got us some serious quackitude here on the Lame Duck watch."

Still, it was an opportunity for the new to shine amidst the retiring. Although he wasn't necessarily able to get much of interest out of Morrissey, Andy Goddard's first Doctor Who directorial turn certainly recommends him to Moffat's use. While I'll always prefer Euros Lyn on any story, It was more than a relief to have one the younger, riskier directors at Torchwood given a chance. I really enjoyed how intimate, messy, and virtually steadi-cammed some shots were. The first 15 minutes or so of the main story, as the Doctor is discovering the truth about the Next Doctor, particularly benefited from this approach. Goddard's intimate style, in fact, helped Morrissey's character more than Morrissey himself. With luck, Ashley Way will come over from Torchwood in the next couple of years.

I've been rambling a bit on this post, as is likely on the sleepy day after Christmas, so let me abruptly end with this thought. Perhaps the biggest recommendation I can give to the episode is it put a smile on the face of a confirmed Cyber-hater. And, in a sure sign of improvement over last year, I've already rewatched it twice.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 11:26 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

My wife thought that the evil woman was played by the same actress who played one of the two women who initially recruited Captain Jack into Torchwood back in the early 20th century. Anyone know if that's true? And why does she look so much like Miranda Richardson?

Sean.

Actress Dervla Kirwan who plays Miss Hartigan was also in the UK comedy SF series'Goodnight Sweeheart'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 12:09 PM EST
    I was a bit disappointed that Jackson Lake didn't get to fly in his own Tardis and became such a bystander in the proceedings. It would have been nice if he and 10 had at least sort of teamed up for the big finale. Dramatically, it would have worked a lot better, I think. You've set up this guy who's built this wonderful thing, he gets torn down by finding out his real identity, but then he should have been built back up again -- a nice character arc that could have still worked while allowing 10 to be the big hero since it's his show.

I love that McGann is now unequivocally established as Doctor Number 8.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 12:58 PM EST
    Managed to watch it again and it was okay, not brilliant but okay. Can't believe some of you are criticising David Morrissey, who was the best thing about the episode. Although I agree that the CyberKing was way OTT. Once they bring back the Mondas Cybermen, the better (Cyberman War, anyone?)

I did feel that the episode was a bit rushed and would have been better if it had an extra 15 minutes.

Best moment by a mile was the 10 Doctors. A truly superb moment that proves once and for all that the classic and new is all the same story!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 26 2008 @ 01:20 PM EST
    yeah, and why the heck isn't the doctor using gold dust to kill these cybermen? Are they not affected like the originals?

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored