The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Who Parked this Flying Saucer?
    Who Parked this Flying Saucer?
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  The Next Doctor [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Next Doctor [SPOILERS] Views: 13112
     Monday, December 29 2008 @ 12:52 PM EST
    Just want to comment that being in America and not being as technologically updated as some of you here, I have only seen short portions of "The Next Doctor", but those included most of the salient parts (beginning, end, ten doctors, etc.). What I saw looked great, and I agree that Christmas in other than modern day was a treat. And what is wrong with a giant Cybership in 19th century London? The reason we like Doctor Who is the fact that it mixes the "absurd" with the real world so frequently. And a Tereleptil android in 17th Heathrow or a Zygon Skarassen in 1970's Scotland is less "jarring"?

"Time and tide melts the snowman."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 04:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]

I was more remindered of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, particularly since "The Valiant" was also nicked from it.

Which in turn was nicked from the SHIELD helicarriers in the Marvel Universe Wink

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 04:37 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee]

I was more remindered of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, particularly since "The Valiant" was also nicked from it.

Which in turn was nicked from the SHIELD helicarriers in the Marvel Universe Wink

Which in turn was stolen from Captain Scalet

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 05:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast]
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee]

Which in turn was stolen from Captain Scalet

Actually, having just looked it up helicarriers were apparently introduced in 1965 while Captain Scarlet didn't begin until 1967. Wink

Anyway without wishing to go miles off topic, perhaps Laputa in Gulliver's Travels was the original influence for all these flying base ideas? Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 06:19 PM EST
    Just found myself reflecting on the christmas special this evening and considering the Cybermen are so logical, does it seem logical that they would have in their possesion a means of storing information that also DESTROYS them.

actually the more I think about it the less it makes any sense, in effect the infospikes ( cant remember the correct term) acts as a slide projector so just projecting the data at the cybermen is enough to make their heads explode yet, there is a socket in their chest that allows them to absorb the whole lot without exploding.

Therefore i think we have just found the cybermens weakness, no its not gold or radiation it is Slideshows ( actually if i have to sit through another slideshow of someones holiday snaps then my head may well explode)

Quick everyone, up into your attics, you must have a box of slides up there someplace!

wasn't totally convinced by the whole cyber king thing either, it seems a bit like those wind up radios, get some street urchins to wind it up for a few minutes and bam! giant robot destroying huge swathes of London.
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to have children disappearing for a few months or so?

I hope the next christmas special will be slightly smaller in scale. I am kind of getting bored with having a HUGE christmas themed object threatening London.
    on the whole I thought the first half was ace but the whole robot thing really didn't help things really.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 06:47 PM EST
    Wonderful nonsense, indeed! A steampunk, pantomime extravaganza complete with Ratking (Cyber King), Wicked Step-mother and all of it finally becoming Jack and the Beanstalk.
    Managed to avoid all reviews, spoilers and other people’s opinions of this and I for one loved it. The Next Doctor conceit, cleverly played and not strung out for too long. The Cyber King, a fabulous new addition to the Cyber mythos. All ten Doctors! Merry Christmas! Wonderful, glorious, silly nonsense!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 29 2008 @ 06:54 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]

Wonderful nonsense, indeed!

Wonderful, glorious, silly nonsense!

Well I agree with these parts of your comments :-)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 12:00 AM EST

While I enjoyed the episode for the most part, I am sad that we did not get the rumored "self-referential" episode where the Doctor stumbles into a movie being made about his life.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 09:55 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]Oh, I think we recall literally why gold fouls up the earlier Cybermen. The question is why there are breathing systems at all. This illogical weakness is a part of why Cybermen are generally such problems. No one has sat down and thought them through. And this gold weakness totally proves it. They're replacing body parts to be stronger, but don't find a workaround for the respiratory system? One of the weakest aspects of the human design is the need to breathe, yet the Cybermen still do it?

It seems to me that since Cybermen are still cyborgs, and not robots, you need a respiratory system to keep the living parts alive. When we say "breathe" we simply mean the way in which these hybrid human/machines take in oxygen to keep the biological parts alive.

If they didn't have some way to move oxygen through the blood, the biological parts would decay and die.

Cybermen might well be robots, then. But they aren't. Clearly they are part human, part machine, so they need some way to "breathe".

Whatever it was that provided that mechanism was blockable by fine gold dust.

But no, blocking it with just anything might not work. It's possible lead might. Perhaps the density and weight had something to do with it. The system may have been designed to filter almost anything - or more likely, was designed very cleverly to filter anything common they might come up against. Gold being fairly rare in most places, might not have been on the list of things they needed to worry about filtering.

There are a buzillion ways to explain almost anything you want in a Science Fiction universe.

I'm still just miffed that gold nuggets were used just as effectively in "Silver Nemesis"... that was stupid.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 12:33 PM EST
    I have a question for everyone. Why was the title of this episode “The Next Doctor”? Was it to throw all the fanboys off? Or does Russell T want throw a big screwball for who will play the next Doctor? Here is a little speculation…

What if the episode title is the most obvious hint to Morrissery being the next Doctor that it’s right in front of our faces? Just because he plays a human with the Doctor’s memories doesn’t mean that Tennant can't regenerate into him. This episode, in a way, throws off everyones speculation that Morrissery is now out of the running. As far as we know Jackson Lake may have made some kind of mental bond to the Doctor due to the infostamp (its scifi so work with me). Thoughts?

P.S.- Tin Dog, after listening to the DWO Cast Christmas 2008 Special I really wish Trevor would have used you as a permanent fixture. All is well, at least I have three podcast to listen to instead of two...

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 01:57 PM EST
    Ok I'll send this thread off track.
    Does anyone else think it's not a coincidence that Jonas Quinn, the guy who plays Robin Hood, is leaving his hit show just at the same time that Doctor Who is being recast? He's young and seems to be a good actor. He wouldn't have been the dude I would have thrown out there, but hey.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 02:20 PM EST
    Isnt it Jonas Armstrong on Robin Hood? I think Jonas Quinn is Stargate.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 05:05 PM EST
    Doh!
    You know who I meant. Oops!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 30 2008 @ 07:28 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  doogie448] Doh!
    You know who I meant. Oops!

If they use anybody from Robin Hood it should be Richard Armitage

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, January 01 2009 @ 05:08 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Cybermen might well be robots, then. But they aren't. Clearly they are part human, part machine, so they need some way to "breathe".

Whatever it was that provided that mechanism was blockable by fine gold dust.

But no, blocking it with just anything might not work. It's possible lead might. Perhaps the density and weight had something to do with it. The system may have been designed to filter almost anything - or more likely, was designed very cleverly to filter anything common they might come up against. Gold being fairly rare in most places, might not have been on the list of things they needed to worry about filtering.
    Yeah, well, the writers of TV Comic would disagree with you. Surely this is . . . The Nadir of the Cybermen:

Apparently, those flowers were strong enough to kill Cybermats, too. Which is impressive, given that there's not that much organic about a Cybermat.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored