The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Robot Santa
    Robot Santa
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  The Next Doctor [SPOILERS]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Next Doctor [SPOILERS] Views: 13155
     Thursday, January 01 2009 @ 09:42 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    But no, blocking it with just anything might not work. It's possible lead might. Perhaps the density and weight had something to do with it.
    Sean.

Didn't it mention (possibly in the Revenge of The Cybermen novelisation) that it was the softness of gold that blocked the breathing apparatus? In that case lead might indeed work just as effectively.
    Although I do agree with Darth Skeptical that the whole thing is silly. It may have been plausible to start off with but by the time you got to Ace and her slingshot it was just ridiculous.

Bollocks...sir.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, January 01 2009 @ 09:47 AM EST
    Oh and BTW, I though the episode was pretty good. Better than last year for sure.
    Actually I would have liked VotD much much more if it hadn't had any of the Max Capricorn plot in it. Just a straight disaster movie in space would have been brilliant. Someone more talented than me must surely be able to produce a fan version with all the insurance scam details edited out?
    And one more thing. I didn't like David Morrissey in the slightest here. Thought he was terribly hammy and overacted like the worst guest stars of the JNT era. Ken Dodd acted better than DM. I've never seen him in anything else and on this performance I hope I never see him in anything again. Just awful, really let the whole thing down.
    Now if you'd got the singer Morrissey to play the part, that I'd like to see!

Bollocks...sir.

Saturday, January 03 2009 @ 02:48 PM EST
    When are we going to have the NEXT PRODUCER? True enough, RTD did incredible things from ROSE right on through to MIDNIGHT. It is, however, time, for new blood. RTD’s edict that everything be set on or around Earth and human beings only has gone too far the other way. Proof of this? A great big giant robot towering over an 1851 city firing blasts at people and things. THE NEXT DOCTOR isn’t terrible, nor is it great as DW can be great. It does, however, prove that sometimes, alien stories on alien planets with alien beings can be …better. RTD’s famed “I don’t care about Zogs from the planet Zog facing the Zog Monster” is inherently wrong. It is his job to make us care about such things and by setting everything this BIG on Earth, he’s taken away some of the major DANGER. Rewatching some old DW, I noticed the flaws and danger of what he says (and it’s very true in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION where I cared very little for any of the politics going on far away from Earth), however, however flawed THE WEB PLANET is: it tried to create an alien planet that is so totally alien…and yet I defy anyone to watch it (an episode at a time please!) and not care about at least one of the alien beings in it. THE NEXT DOCTOR: did anyone seriously think the children were going to die? Did anyone seriously think the old men would not die? Did anyone care that the CyberKing was in that robot? Not terrible, but not great like DW can be. Smaller stories, please, with more emotional involvement and situations we can care about again.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 04 2009 @ 05:55 PM EST

Chase, you do know that there is a new producer and head writer taking over, right? Steven Moffat it picking up reins of Russell T Davies and is already working on the 2010 series. There are only 4 more specials in 2009 under the wing of RTD.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, January 25 2009 @ 07:59 AM EST
    The Next Doctor just aired in Australia. Much quicker than the regular seasons do. It was hard to avoid spoilers but I managed.

I loved it. For the first time I really enjoyed the new series cybermen. The cast was strong.

David Morissey was fanstastic. His personality was like Colin Baker but toned down a little, the costume harkened back to the original show and he had a few funny lines and tear jerking scenes.

Dervla Kirwan was very convincing. The companion had a name similar to Rose and the voice of Martha but I'm sure that was just to throw us off track. Personally, I thought the whole thing would be in the Doctor's mind.

The Cyber King was good because it made for a big finale and the CGI was awesome. Deus Ex Machina for sure because we know the Doctor will save the day, but it was still cool.

The thing with the info stamps came out of nowhere, but I can forgive such annoyances because I choose to enjoy TV shows and movies and not dwell on nitpicking them. I understand why most people can't do that. Judging is human nature and it's hard to let go of things that don't really matter but bug us anyway. But it's Doctor Who! TV doesn't get any better!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 25 2009 @ 12:56 PM EST
    I don't think I ever wrote a review of this even though I saw it not long after Christmas. I mostly enjoyed this, but it wasn't a great episode. I liked it more than Voyage of the Damned, but it still had some goofy stuff that made little sense. Why kidnap the children when the work they were doing could have been done by anyone? At least in Temple of Doom they needed children because they were small enough to get into the tight mining tunnels. Why keep the old men alive just to retrieve the children. Surely the Cybermen themselves could have brought back the children on their own. Why would Mercy Hardigan be able to mentally over-ride the Cybermen's programming? But I didn't mind the Cyber King because when I originally heard that it was going to be a Victorian-era Cyberman story I was fully expecting there to be some steampunk. In fact, I was hoping for more. I was expecting steampunk cybermen. I was expecting something like, a few Cybermen survived "crashing" on Victorian-era London and they had to convert locals without the benefit of full-blown conversion equipment. I did like David Morrissey, I liked the data record of the ten Doctors, etc. I'd give the story 3 1/2 TARDIS groans out of 5. It's neck-and-neck with Runaway Bride as far as Christmas specials go. I liked the original best and Voyage least. How I rank RB and ND in between varies with my mood.

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 13 2009 @ 10:28 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  torchkat] I felt this was the best Christmas special to date. Far, far better than VotD and better than Runaway Bride.

Agreed!

Yes, I'm late to the game, still catching up on Who.

I usually dread the Christmas special, so maybe my expectations were lowered going in this time. Maybe.

Still, really enjoyed David Morrissey. The Cyberking was pushing it in the realm of silly, but I have become used to that from RTD.

The shots of all the Doctors made me smile so. Yeah, they know how to fan the flames of fandom, I'll give them that.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored