The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  DW PROM vs CELEBRATION
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    DW PROM vs CELEBRATION Views: 502
     Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 12:22 PM EDT
    PROM vs CELEBRATION

Having had the great chance to see both of these in an uncut form, I really enjoyed them both but I must say I enjoyed the Celebration a bit more. I think the Murray Gold music is the best thing to have happened to DW ever. The old classic series never really had music that was that good bar a few small accidents (Castrovalva is a great score for example). There is nothing like the new music and although they reuse it a bit too much, it’s just fantastic. At times, I wouldn’t mind a new writer for some episodes for the music just for a balance and a change but overall, Gold’s music is exciting, romantic, and driven and strange and mysterious. I’m still pissed that the entire BLINK climax is not on the very poor third cd of music.

Anyway, the advantages to PROM is that the PROMO music is used and sounds great AND the new arrangement for the DW theme is …very inspired. Great. That said, I wish I could just see the clips on both PROM and CELEBRATION as I am a clip/video type viewer. I love small music videos and for this I think CELEBRATION wins hands down. The video accompanying ROSE’S THEME in CELEBRATION has so many better clips and not to to mention they combine ROSE’S THEME with the Rose theme variation from THE SATAN PIT (it all sounds great when put together).

I don’t know the name of the lady who sings the vocals but she does a great job on both PROM and CELEBRATION with at least one mistake in her tune in CELEBRATION but that didn’t take anything away from my enjoyment of CELEBRATION. In fact, for some reason, the tune, tone, and upbeat tempo is much more exciting in CELEBRATION. I found the whole pace of PROM’s themes slower in tempo than in CELE. I also HATE the silly Davros thing they did for PROM but CELE also did a silly Dalek thing too. I guess that’s for the kids. They need some kind of stage show. RTD comes off as stage grabbing and conceited in both of these I think. Freyma made a good host as did Catherine Tate.

The actors who play Mickey and Rose’s mum did not do as well in their scripted lines. They were, unusually, awful. I really like them though. For some reason PROM mixed DW music with other themes: “themes the Doctor might listen to as he’s parading around time and space.” Indeed. We didn’t need those themes at all.

In any respect, the PROMO music is accompanied by some of the most agonizingly embarrassing acts ever: Cybermen pacing up and down, Sontarans beating to Sontar HO, mixed with a clip of Luke doing the same. Really embarrassing stuff but I supposed if you were there and a kid under say 10, you’d be having fun. CELE had the Ood pacing up and down and it looked…rather scary to be honest.

PROM has a short piece of Doctor Ten expounding on us his views about music and how we all have a song in us, facing down a Graske who then goes into the stage at the PROM and interacts with the audience there. Okay. It was cute and the Doc had a nice bit of scripted nonsense. It tries to mean something and almost succeeds. I prefer the pace of CELEBRATION as the music sounds better, the pieces were better sculpted from several different episodes and scenes and the clips from a majority of better episodes.

And PROM misses out on the great score from the Pompeii episode but includes the awful Martha/Master two parter (the worst score from the show). At least it has some of the score from JOURNEY’S END which, again, a bad episode and a derivative score, works only thanks to the Doctor thing from season one’s Doctor theme. I’m not a big fan of the VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED score or episode and I think PROM tried, and at times for me, succeeded in making us feel sorry for the Doctor (with all his failed romances/friendships with women (and SIGH enough of that already).

I think PROM had a great tribute to Chris’s Doctor but got lost at times in the clips after that. For me, the picks are better in CELE and the music sounds better. Both are a treat to watch but PROM, for me only, anyway, feels like it missed something.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored