The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshocker's after Who at the Cavern 3
    Podshocker's after Who at the Cavern 3
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Planet of the Dead
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of the Dead Views: 5931
     Sunday, March 29 2009 @ 11:45 AM EDT
    I think part of what I missed in the postings is why I want RTD to go. Well, I feel the same way I felt about JNT about RTD. I think he's started out brilliant and in many ways still has some brilliance...however it' gone from whole seasons being excellent to ...and mind you I think as a whole the new show is/was better than the old show. The problem is that I feel RTD has run out of ideas. His more current scripts are the weakest of seasons three and four (oh, that first story with the little white baby aliens of fat...AWFUL) and hte specials, while not totally trash, are medicre at best with a few good moments...they don't really tell a story as much as give up a bunch of gimmicks that fall flat. I feel he's run out of steam...anyone would and that he's overstayed his welcome. He's not telling us any stories that really matter (again, the ending of both JOURNEY'S END and LAST OF THE TIME LORDS truly don't matter as everything's back in place).

And after putting into place a excellent roster of characters I don't think he knows what to do with them or present them in the best light. true, some of that deals with actors like Tate who may not want to stay on or Piper who wants to leave or come back once. If you look at PIper's interviews and comments about JOURNEY'S END, you can see that she feels Rose's end is somehow wrong too. That's RTD's fault. He should find a way around the constraints of production nd tell a good story and be Noble to his characters (no pun intended). Even if I don't like what happened to Donna, I can admit it is dramatic. What happened to Rose is not. ANd Martha joining Torchwood? She never felt right there to me for some reason but I have a whole problem with Torchwood as it is.

SO yah, I feel RTD is BAD for DW right now. Okay the ratings go up...but that does not prove quality. LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY had high ratings throughout its run an I hated that show. To have NEXT DOCTOR follow JOURNEY'S END and than hve to wait for another special...that looks dreadful too...is just...I dont know, not rewarding to me as a fan or as a viewer. I also cannot imagine anyone tuning into NEXT DOCTOR and coming away from it feeling that was so very well done. I'm sorry, I just don't. And letters to DWM can be faked, too.

I know when I watch something like ROSE, EMPTY CHILD, FATHER'S DAY, MIDNIGHT, DOOMSDAY, the giant bee one the Pompeii one, HUMAN NATURE, BLINK and I know how overjoyed I feel at how good they were, great in fact, far far better than the old show could ever have been...and I knowwhen the show does not reach that with some of the junk I've already mentioned a thosand times. I hate to see the show go that way again. Mind you, I'm also recalling how we all kept quite quiet about the show when Colin's scripts in his first season stunk to high hell and then when the show was on trial with the god awful TRIAL season and then things got worse with McCoy's first season which had t me, only one story of any merit, DELTA. DRAONGONFIRE was a cmplete mess, TIME AND THE RANI an embarassment, and PARADISE not much better (a story in which thre is danger all around and Mel decides to go for a swim and is menaced by a fake looking toy). Someone mentioned KROTONS..well at least that had danger present all the time and made some sense and MATTERED.

I will not keep quiet about RTD's missteps and it seems to me that he's making a lot of them lately IMO. When the show comes back in 2010 I just hope they can get some of the quality back in the scripts and dialog. And matter again.

So I've wandered around in my reply but yeah, RTD was great and I'm sure he has some great ideas for other shws but nt for DW o he would have given us them already instead of the junk we got form is las three scripts. It amazes me too how he alwys says we have to up the anty by raising the stakes and MAKE TRHEWHOLE WORLD IN DANGER OMG! That makes me so much more likely to feel the danger. What he does not realize is the more you put Earth in danger as a whole on a massive scale, the worse it gets and he less t matters. The two part Sontaran story was the way to do it. JE was the way not to do it and why do it so soon after the Sontaran story. ANd again, a better script comes from someone other tha RTD.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 29 2009 @ 02:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] tape one and watch PRIMEVAL, it's a better show!

I tried watching this. I couldn't make it through the first episode.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 02:32 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    However, I do have to say that the anally retentive part of me doesn't understand the double posting.

In response to which he does a triple in under 21 min. That is what the edit button is for.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 09:39 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Yeah I didn't feel Dalzo was being insulting but I do take up offense at someone trying to change someone's mind in some way, it smacks of I don't know: I'm right and you're wrongness. I don't try to change someone's mind, I just write a review of what I like and don't like.

I am glad that you didn't take offense at my post as I genuinely didn't mean any. Like I said, I like a good debate! I suppose though, as I said before, I was trying to change your mind to a certain degree but I don't think this is a negative thing. Surely that is the whole point of a discussion; To put ones view across and see if you can convince somebody of your argument.
    As I have also said MANY a time, I too, believe it is time RTD goes (which is good... 'cos he is) but I believe that a showrunner should leave after a few years whatever the circumstances purely because it is inevitible that the ideas will stop to flow (think of The X Files and Star Trek... Berman and Braga should have left after creating DS9 'cos with Voyager and Enterprise they were just rehashing old stories).
    You obviously believe RTD has already reached this point but I personally think he has chosen the perfect moment to call it a day!
    We have rather left the point of this topic (by quite a large margin) but I genuinely hope you and I can cross swords again, Chase, as although I don't agree with some of what you say, your posts are NEVER boring and it is ALWAYS good to discuss Doctor Who with another passionate fan with strong views! I rarely post here but I check The Gallifreyan Embassy every day and your post was interesting enough to get me to take to the keyboard... Thanks for that!!!
    Till next time...

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 09:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] JE was the way not to do it and why do it so soon after the Sontaran story. ANd again, a better script comes from someone other tha RTD.

I do just have to point out that if you read "The Writers Tale" RTD basically rewrote the scripts for "The Sontaran Strategem" and "The Poisoned Sky" from top to bottom as Helen Raynors scripts were unworkable. Apparently RTD smoked 50 cigarettes in a day whilst doing so as he had so little time to rewrite them. He also says that he had to use ideas he had planned for The Stolen Earth and Journeys End to make the scripts work!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 04:30 PM EDT

Word is that the "trailer" preview for Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead be shown on the Beeb (BBC 1 most likely) this Wednesday.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 07:11 PM EDT
    thanks Louis! I look forward to seeing the trailer and not just pictures of David and Michelle.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 11:11 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] tape one and watch PRIMEVAL, it's a better show!

I've gotta wade back in here on this one. Chase, are you really coming to what is primarily a Doctor Who forum and saying that, with little to back it up? How is Primeval a better show?

I will admit it has had a couple of memorable scenes - The mammoth on the motorway and the Series 1 cliffhanger, but other than that. Ugh. Teh effects are no more special (and in some cases worse) that Doctor Who's and the dialog (in general, with a few exceptions) and characters are trite, hackneyed and cardboard cutouts. And the plot are basically all variations on a theme, and since the "anomalies" can basically do whatever the writers need them to do, they are more of a cop-out than *ANYTHING* Davies has done in Doctor Who and I do mean *ANYTHING*!!!! (See below)

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 11:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Uhm, did you read my posts? I love DW and the ideas of DW and I loved almost all of season one, two, three and four but when DW is bad now it's awfully bad and the "specials" should be better written, not just bigger in effects and in the world danger crap but the specials should be special in writing dept and in the plot and dialog. They're not. Just because I like a lot of DW doesn't mean I have to like all of it or like any old crap they trot out at me and yeah, my posts are critical. DW can be GREAT but some of the time it's just mediocre. RTD is awful now. Yeah, he's written some of he best of DW (DOOMSDAY is just amazing and so are his scripts for the first season but really did you like NEW EARTH? And the way that Master three parter ended?) but "the man" is just so full of himself that he can't let go and admit he hasn't a new idea in his head

Yes, Chase. I did read your posts. And you claim here to love almost all of Series' 3 and 4, but go on to do nothing but criticize most of them (specifically Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, Turn Left, and The Stolen Earth/Journey's End and then add plenty more criticism on top of Voyage of the Damned and The Next Doctor!!) That's about a third of those series right there! But you did like Midnight - so not *all* of RTD's recent output is bad then? Smile

But really, as I mention above almost all of the criticisms you are throwing at RTD - running out of stories, "borrowed" plot devices etc. can all be thrown (along with several others - bad dialog for one!) at the show you claim is better - Primeval. You say Last of the Time Lords stole from Peter Pan well one of the most memorable scenes of the first episode of Primeval, which I think they used in a lot of the original publicity (the dinosaur in the boys bedroom) seemed terribly similar to bits of Jurassic Park: The Lost World! Personally, I think that JM Barrie is a better person to steal from!

And on the subject of Last of the Time Lords, which it did seem a little "happy-clappy-kum-by-yah", there is one thing that all the criticisms of this ending miss. Just how darned smart the Doctor is. And what makes him just about the most remarkable being in the universe! He worked out how to defeat the Master - very very quickly - even when all the odds were stacked against him. And he knew that it would take a long time. And he was able to communicate it to Martha, trust that she would be able to do it, and then, when the time was right he uses the Master's own weapon against him. And *that's* why he is one of the greatest heroes in fiction! And *that* is very smart writing, IMO. You may not approve of it, or like it yourself - but it does work - and the more I have watched those two episodes the better it does work. The Doctor has to lose a lot in order to win. And it makes putting it all back so much better!

[Quote  by:  Chase]
    ...staying on can ruin DW as JNT showed us. JNT was fantastic when he first started but then he gave us TRIAL and TIME AND THE RANI. RTD is rapidly heading that way.

PS - You really are comparing RTD to JNT???? Seriously? (Although defense of JNT will come at another time Wink )

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 12:29 PM EDT
    PLEASE!
    Cry
    Let's get back on topic.

This thread is supposed to about the upcomming "Doctor Who" special "Planet of the Dead" - if you wish to talk about something else create a new thread, or better yet - search the threads for the topic you want to discuss - it might already exsist.

Let's get back on topic, please.
    Cry

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 02:26 PM EDT
    Digital Spy reports that three (3) towns will get to see the new "Doctor Who" (Planet of the Dead") two days before the rest of the country (UK).

It makes me so jealous. Twisted Evil

Here's the link to the story:

Arrow Three towns to get "Who" early

PS: BBC has not officially set an air date yet but we know it's going to be that weekend (I hope)

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 07:58 PM EDT
    Yeah that's another thing tht's sort of...bad. The Doctor is the sole, grand master, all great, all solving, savior of the universe and no one can do without him! "Find me Doctor, find me!"

Of course, when RTD had the Doctor have others do the saving, everyone complained or rather some did but for the most part, I like the DOctor saving things mixed with others saving things and saving him. NOW it' like the all powerful Doctor has to be there to save the world...and what does he do? Run out of his TARDIS like a love sick puppy, Daleks invading Earth, and gets shot! Then brags about his looks, doubles himself, and ruins the episode even more than Sarah Jane, who just drove away from her son, to go get killed or captured...WTF?

Anyway enough ranting. The Doctor's special, we get that. THe Doctor's smart: get that. ANd yeah, stealing JMBarrie is fine but to mke such a mess of such a great idea...

For me, Primeval, at least in season one, bettered DW, I guess because at the time I saw it, I also saw the more crappy Eps of Season three's DW.PRimeval may be 1950s sci fi type stuff but with interesting twists (again, at least season one). And right now, it's still more interesting than DW because it's doing different things.

When do we ever get a historical without monsters any more or a story iwthout monsters at all...and an uplifting one too? Why is DW now always about a gimmick? DW can rise to things better than most of the recent stuff but what are we getting? Claptrap, morbidness with "Earth Shattering" comic book style crossovers with no point. Taken apart, Earth shattering is good, comic book is good, crossoves are good and even some downer eps are good but put them all together with some of the sappiest repetitive dialog (I"m Harriet Jones of...is not funny!) ever written by any DW writer and JOURNEY'S END just falls flat IMO and IMO only.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 10:11 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Word is that the "trailer" preview for Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead be shown on the Beeb (BBC 1 most likely) this Wednesday.

Cheers,
    Louis

Yes the trailer is due to be shown just before 9pm tonight prior to The Apprentice on BBC1. Apparently the trailer is different to the one that has been seen at Rugby match's etc.

Digiguide has been updated to show:

[Quote SCIENCE FICTION SERIES: Doctor Who
    On: BBC 1 Channel Islands (101)
    Date: Saturday 11th April 2009 (starting in 10 days)
    Time: 18:45 to 19:45 (1 hour long)

Science fiction series about the adventures of an alien time-traveller, known as The Doctor. He explores space and time, solving problems and righting wrongs.
    (3 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=110209

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

EDIT: A trailer can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rUTlQPm4o&

This may or may not be the trailer that airs tonight. This is not an April Fool.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 12:02 PM EDT
    @Chase - It seems that you and RTD are pretty diammetrically opposed on what "Doctor Who" is since all your comments go against what he has always said is his conception of the series. (And it does appear that Moffat is quite in-sync with that so it might not change as much as you'd like.

We can continue this debate, but not in this thread as per request.

Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 12:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DrWho001]
    Digiguide has been updated to show:

[Quote SCIENCE FICTION SERIES: Doctor Who
    On: BBC 1 Channel Islands (101)
    Date: Saturday 11th April 2009 (starting in 10 days)
    Time: 18:45 to 19:45 (1 hour long)

Science fiction series about the adventures of an alien time-traveller, known as The Doctor. He explores space and time, solving problems and righting wrongs.
    (3 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=110209

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Now this is very exciting - Perhaps the 11th is right after all! This is causing havoc for my efforts to put together a DWNY "Planet of the Dead" viewing party! Smile

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored