The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Emilia meets Eric Potts (Slitheen & Corrie) 2006
    Emilia meets Eric Potts (Slitheen & Corrie) 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Planet of the Dead
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of the Dead Views: 5783
     Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 12:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee]
    We can continue this debate, but not in this thread as per request.

Thank You.

Now for a new link!

I found this on youtube - it says it is the trailer for the upcomming special.

I don't know if it's legit or not but here it is:

Arrow "Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead" trailer

Judging from this trailer it may be better than I was expecting.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 01:33 PM EDT
    And now the Saturday date appears to be confirmed! Hooray!

For those of you in the NYC area, DWNY will hopefully be having a viewing party on Sunday April 12, from around 6.30pm at a restaurant bar in Manhattan. I'll confim on the GE calendar when I have all the specifics!

All are welcome, and it should be a lot of fun, and its always a joy to watch Doctor Who together as a group, as attendees of previous events can attest!

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 01:44 PM EDT

I am not sure how long this will last on YouTube, so watch now while you can. Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead preview 'trailer'

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, April 02 2009 @ 01:56 PM EDT
    Well this trailer got me pretty excited. Fun set up. You can see why they had to go somewhere with lots of sand (i.e. Dubai). Should be a fun hour of TV!

And if you're in NYC you can come watch it with us on Sunday April 12 at around 6.30 at Professor Thom's (219 2nd Ave)

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 02:02 PM EDT
    The BBC has finally given a definite air time for the new special. They posted it on the news section of the "Doctor Who" website today (April 3).

Here's the link to the story:
    Arrow Easter Special Time Unveiled

I'll admit i was worried when I saw the photos for the special but after seeing the trailer - I do feel a lot better about the special.

BTW: The trailer for the special is available on the BBC webite as well but it is region-locked so anybody outside of the UK can not see it.

Here is the link to that on the BBC's "Doctor Who" website:
    Arrow "Planet of the Dead" Trailer

If you can't use that one use the one Louis has above or go to the one here at Digital Spy:
    Arrow Watch the new "Doctor Who" trailer!

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 04:19 PM EDT
    that looks awful, derivitive and boring and a rip off of PITCH BLACK and the female theif companion seems like what they wanted to do with the McCoy season 27 had it happened with a female cat burglar. As I've suspected RTD has no ideas left in his head for DW

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 06:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] that looks awful, derivitive and boring and a rip off of PITCH BLACK and the female theif companion seems like what they wanted to do with the McCoy season 27 had it happened with a female cat burglar. As I've suspected RTD has no ideas left in his head for DW

Mmmm. or you could keep an open mind and judge it (good or bad) once you've actually seen the thing

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 06:58 PM EDT
    Any word on the Australian air date? The regular series is usually 3-4 months behind but The Next Doctor aired only 1 month after the UK.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 04 2009 @ 04:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]

Mmmm. or you could keep an open mind and judge it (good or bad) once you've actually seen the thing
    exactly! good call idiom.

I Really Think Doctor Who Triumphs.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 04 2009 @ 06:28 PM EDT
    One could say that judging ahead of time comes from the experience of holding off judgement on RUNAWAY BRIDE, VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED (well that wasn't THAT bad), and the NEXT DOCTOR "specials" and then actually seeing them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 01:47 AM EDT
    Who cares!

It's a week to go and I can't wait!

ANY "Doctor Who: is better than none.

GOOD, BAD or INBETWEEN!

We "Doctor Who" fans want more!

PS: Maybe that's why we're fans - it doesn't really matter that much!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 07:52 PM EDT
    Sorry I can't agree respectfully. Bad DW is not wanted. In fact, it is what made the show go away in the first place. I can't believe DW fans would not want a quality story that is in its own right entertaining, different and original (as it can be), and that it makes some logic in itself and as a nice aside it might make some sense in the overall scheme of things. If not, at least it tell a good story with characters we can care about and for a change NOT be linked to present day Earth at all if possible these days. BAD DW is worse than NO DW IMO.

In fact, to me they are the same thing.

DW is so capable of so much more than being mediocre, forced, poor, and badly written that we should demand stories that we can care about and people we can care about; not just "something for the holiday day". If the writers and producers cannot rise to the occasion and give us something akin to the entire first season (Bar the second Adam story), HUMAN NATURE, The Madam De Pompdour story, EMPTY CHILD, DOOMSDAY, even FEAR HER (but again notice it could be just a small story, it had to have a huge Olympic sub plot), the Sontaran story, and going back TALONS OF WENG CHIANG, FACE OF EVIL, HORROR OF FANG ROCK, GENESIS OF THE DALEKS (with almost no links to Earth at all), LOGOPOLIS, CASTROVALVA, KINDA, DELTA AND THE BANNER MEN, GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY, POWER OF THE DALEKS, EVIL OF THE DALEKS, even THE INVASION, DALEK INVASION EARTH (remember this story was not afraid to be set in the future of Earth), and others, then why bother?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 06 2009 @ 01:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase]BAD DW is worse than NO DW IMO.
    I take your point, but the problem is "bad" is so entirely subjective. A glance at your list of examples of "good" DW reveals the impossibility of pleasing everyone. I'm not sure there are many fans — and fewer casual viewers — who would consider both The Greatest Show in the Galaxy and "The Girl in the Fireplace" as comparatively equal in terms of quality.

All I really want from the show are people who understand the narrative art, and who are trying to make an original story that will resonate with the greatest number of viewers with each and every story. When they have occasionally missed the mark, as with "Voyage of the Damned", it's still been possible to see what the production team was trying to achieve. More to the point, it's possible to see that they told the story they basically wanted to tell; it just didn't happen to resonate with me. And the story, no matter what I might have thought about it, still pleased a large, series-sustaining audience of people.

What killed DW in the past wasn't strictly that it was "bad", but rather that its ambitions were unclear. More specifically, the JNT-led belief that Doctor Who was science fiction, coupled with his edict to hire largely inexperienced writers and his own lack of narrative skill, rather unsurprisingly led to arcane scripts that whittled the audience down to a small core of people desperate to believe change had to be coming sometime soon.

In the modern era, when we have "hiccups", all but the smallest cadre of fans (who generally hate New Who anyway), have the firm belief that the next episode will right the ship. And they're generally right. On average, most fans of the show seem to intensely like every other episode. That means that every episode of the series has its own group of loyal supporters, and that overall, the series is appealing to a widely varying audience.

RTD's major sin is occasionally over-reaching and trying to do too much with the format. By trying to remake DW as strictly science fiction, JNT had just the opposite problem. Of the two options, I'd much rather have the former. Ken and Louis have occasionally claimed that RTD's seasons have had a set pattern of present day story, followed by future story, then past story, then two part with major villain, and so on. And you can look at it that way if you wish. But you can also say that this guarantees, quite unlike the JNT era, that you'll get a wide variety of stories, even if they happen to occur in roughly the same order each year.

And this includes the so-called "holiday" themed story. I for one think there's still a utility to that. A story that demands relatively little of its audience's knowledge of DW continuity is still a good thing. It's a recruiting tool for the not-we. And RTD's batting average is still pretty fair as far as I'm concerned. I've really liked exactly half of them. Given a choice between holidays without the Doctor and holidays with him, I'll take my chances.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, April 06 2009 @ 01:10 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Sorry I can't agree respectfully. Bad DW is not wanted. In fact, it is what made the show go away in the first place.

Well, actually even that isn't strictly speaking true. It went away in the first place for many many things - but not totally due to a lack of quality. Because there was quality during the JNT era.

But there was also politicking at the BBC led by people who didn't like the show, or Sci-Fi in general, incredibly bad scheduling (linked to the 1st case), and an at odds production team who didn't do themselves any favours with their in-fighting, an interesting relationship between the production team and certain fans, and a producer who wanted to leave, but stayed so that the show didn't get cancelled.

The quality of the stories, while at times not good, was by no means the only reason.

Monday, April 06 2009 @ 01:14 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase]I can't believe DW fans would not want a quality story that is in its own right entertaining, different and original (as it can be), and that it makes some logic in itself and as a nice aside it might make some sense in the overall scheme of things.

Yes - I'd like that. And guess what? I think I'm getting that, so thanks very much Russell for giving me plenty of fun and entertaining Doctor Who over the last 4 years. Can't wait to enjoy your final 4 hours - I'm sure they will fit the bill nicely too - starting this Saturday! Hooray!

And let's end the discussion there, so that this thread can stay focused on Planet of the Dead and how excited we are for it, and our views on it after we've seen it, rather than a one-man anti-RTD crusade! Smile

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored