The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Doctor Who & the Dalek
    Doctor Who & the Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Sloppy story details
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Sloppy story details Views: 767
     Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 10:41 PM EDT
    I have been re-watching a few David Tennant episode recently and found a few elements of very sloppy plot details which have annoyed me.

(1) The Runaway Bride - The Doctor fuses the Robot Santas controls rescues Donna, then leaves. Presumably he is okay with the wanton death and destruction caused by a driverless vehicle heading up the M4 (probably the death of those kiddys watching the events through the rear windscreen of their car).

(2) Turn Left - The Doctor dies and events turn out differently. Again since he isn't around to stop the Pyrovillians from turning the Earth into a molten Hell world, all the things shown from "Sontarum stragagem", "partners in crime" etc would never have happened, donna would never have been born and the rest of the story is somewhat irrellevant.

(3) The Stolen Earth - Doctor: "someone tried to steal the Earth before, but that was a long time ago". Small point but it was actually sometime in the future. The episode occurs in circa 2008, Daleks tried to steal the Earth in 2150. Small point, but it bugs me. If you want to drop in a reference then get it right. Okay it might have been a long time ago for the Doctor, but being a Timelord he should be used to that kind of thing. Also if the Daleks were "removed from Time" as a result of the time war, no one including the Doctor should remember the "classic" doctor encounters.

Even if one makes allowances for the Doctor (Timelord immunity) SJS shouldn't remember the Daleks or Davros if they were removed from Time.

Okay, so I'm petty, but these things spoil my enjoyment of the show. Considering how much effort everyone puts into the show, it would be nice if they didn't leave staller sized plot holes in the scripts.

(2)

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 02 2009 @ 09:20 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    (3) The Stolen Earth - Doctor: "someone tried to steal the Earth before, but that was a long time ago". Small point but it was actually sometime in the future. The episode occurs in circa 2008, Daleks tried to steal the Earth in 2150.

All valid and well made points but I took the Doctor to mean the Timelords moving Earth and renaming it Ravolox in The Trial of a Time Lord.

Bollocks...sir.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, April 02 2009 @ 03:05 PM EDT
    All shows have little plot leaks like this. How many times have you seen James Bond swim up and leave his scuba gear on the beach and the bad guys never find it and go "Oh dear, who lost this expensive British Scuba gear?"
    House's patients just disappear after he has treated them. Nobody shows back up in the ER with a car accident?
    How does Robin Hood and his men keep coming up with perfectly straight arrows?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 02 2009 @ 07:59 PM EDT
    Yeah but just what are those Santa things anyway and who controlled them and how did they getto Earth and fool Jackie into taking in a Xmas Tree and an and ??? NOw I lve CHRISMTAS INVASION but that's a starnge plost point

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 02 2009 @ 11:10 PM EDT
    First and foremost, I agree with you Whoovie. As the new series progresses, and it slowly begins to accept the classic series, or at least acknowledge it more, the continuity gets sloppy, but some suggestions:

(1) Runaway Bride - the Doctor over his long career (900+ yrs) acts in a very "a few eggs need to be broken in order to make an omelet” sort of way. Yes, most of the time it is for the “greater” good, people die; guess he felt in this circumstance, the end justified the means.

(2) Turn Left – not my favorite episode, namely for the reason you list. One of those: “well, what if …” there could be thousands, nigh, millions of possible outcomes. Agree with you wholeheartedly, the story is irrelevant, which begs the question of why tell it at all?

(3) The Stolen Earth – another not favorite episode. Like everyone, I too thought he was referencing the incident during the 6th Doctor and Ravolox but that’s neither here nor there. As to the future or the past, the 4th Doctor (someone can probably help with the episode) explained it as he can never remember if he’s coming or going, part of the problem being a Timelord; I believe this is in reference to Sarah Jane or another companion remarking about something he said and the companion saying that “Doctor that hasn’t happened yet?” and he smiles and responds “It hasn’t?” Something to that effect.

Overall, the show does well with all the possible continuity problems it could have with someone who can travel in time and space.

What we observe is not Nature Itself, but Nature exposed to our method of questioning.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored