The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Tardis Standee 2
    Tardis Standee 2
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition] Views: 11005
     Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 01:47 PM EDT

Thoughts later. But the "monsters" remind me of this and I think it would have made a better story.

Flying Rods

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM EDT
    sorry Mad 4 Plaid, but your link didn't work for me. What was it about? What do you mean "I hope not"? WHat happened?

My point in all my criticisms is if they keep turning out mediocre stuff and/or total crap (and the Master returning DOESN'T bode well at all!) then people, even children, will stop watching this.

And with everyone that's rumored to return--I have low low low expectations. Maybe they'll do a version of LUNGBARROW? Who knows? But a regeneration (PLEASE NOT STANDING UP!) with lots of former companions watching could be so dramatic, funny, and heart wrenching if done correctly and if the dialog is right.

For my guess I'm thinking the 10th Doctor will put himself between a beam that will destroy the entire universe (say that together) and the entire universe (or at least Earth which is probably all we'll see) and standing up, regenerate as Rose, then Martha, Jack, and Donna and Jackie and Mickey all kiss him.

About PLANET OF THE DEAD:enough with the kisses all the time from different people too, that's embarassing. It makes what kisses there are that mean something, not mean something. Or something. Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 01:55 PM EDT
    Sory the link didn't work. Couldn't get it fixed either. Here is the summary of the article:

Doctor Who did not win its time slot on Saturday. Britain's Got Talent had 11.4 million viewers, while the Doctor received only 8.7 (at peak times). I don't think this takes into account DVRs however, so I would expect the numbers to go up.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Perhaps this is the best indicator of how it did...

Britains Got Talent Beats Doctor Who

But I hope not!

Your link had a double "http://" error.

I fixed it in the box above (that quotes you).

Now to my thoughts about the special...

Not too bad, but in the same breath - not too good, either. This one just doesn't do anything new.

Like the specials have been in the past they just do a show with a "light" story but no real depth to the characters and story. There are a few good points about it but just as many bad points. One of the best points in the story though was the foreshadowing through Carmen's warning (getting dark there).

It's just a middle of the road show and unless there is a change to give it more "oomph" people will lose intrest in "Doctor Who" and it will fade away - not to mention the long time between the specials is not helping either.

Perhaps, Steven Moffat can bring new life to the show when he works with Matt Smith. One can hope.

The stories leading up to the regeneration could bring back the veiwers that are starting to drift away from the show - if done right.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 06:53 PM EDT
    Someone mentioned somewhere that it was brave thing to do to take time off. I disgree. I think it was a stupid and lazy thin to do. Whatever the real reasons: David wanted to leave to do other things, the crew was spread out too thin doing THREE genre shows, whatever, it has hurt DW. The replacements should have been made a long time ago IMO. IMO this is akin yet diffrent t the break forced on the show by Grade in the 1980s. If the show is at its peak, youdon't then go off tahe ir and do othr things: you keep on going nd if your current crew are depleted creatviely you find thers to carry it on as DW has always done. When it was hurt was when people stayed too long that were not doing a good job (Saward, JNT, even DIcks).

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 07:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Someone mentioned somewhere that it was brave thing to do to take time off. I disgree. I think it was a stupid and lazy thin to do ...If the show is at its peak, youdon't then go off tahe ir and do othr things: you keep on going nd if your current crew are depleted creatviely you find thers to carry it on as DW has always done. When it was hurt was when people stayed too long that were not doing a good job (Saward, JNT, even DIcks).

But that is exactly why I believe it's a brave thing. Why race ahead into a new season with either a tired production team or a team who haven't had time to do everything that they want and get everything in place? I believe it's brave to take this risk - to say, ok in the short term we might lose some viewers but if we don't the we risk the whole programme in the long term by not guaranteeing excellent quality. For that reason, I don't believe it was 'stupid'.
    As to your second point of 'lazy', I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
    With regards to the replacements needing to have been made a long time ago, I believe that it is on record that the BBC were considering closing the whole show down without RTD. I believe that his dedication and passion (both of which you cannot deny) to the show have resulted in the massive ratings (whether or not you or I as hard-core fans like certain episodes) that have ensured a place in the General Public's heart once more. It is this which has resulted in its renewal.Anybody that doesn't believe that the BBC will close down a show with poor ratings should look at what it has just done to Not Going Out - a Friday night sitcom. I believe that not only should we thank RTD for bringing the show back, he has also ensured that it has a future.
    I agree with you that a new producion team is a good and necessary thing now but don't believe that it would have been possible before now.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 10:16 PM EDT
    I think it was an average story, with the the flying bus being an exception. That was just plain horrible.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 11:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] On the whole I feel that this episode lived up to its billing: a fun romp.
    Things I liked: the opening shots - wondering when the Doctor would appear; another alien planet - a great looking landscape; an iconic English symbol looking so out of place in the desert; an interesting alien - the sting ray swarms who create wormholes and then ravage the planets they visit like locusts; Michelle Ryan - phwoarr - about time we had an interesting companion with an agenda like Lady Cristina; Malcolm - Lee Evans played him to perfection; UNIT - always good to see them; referencing of the Giant Robot; the trailer for The Waters of Mars; the pace of the story overall - it didn't feel too long or short (makes me wish that the regular series had 1-hour episodes as my biggest criticisms usually concern the production team making sacrifices to the stories in order to wrap them up in 42 mins)
    Things that could have been better for me: the fly creatures (can't remember their names) looked just like something from the classic series ie somebody wearing a prosthetic head; the other passengers - for me they were just loose wheels and had nothing really to contribute to the story; the UNIT captain (also forgotten her name - her willingness to sacrifice the Doctor and yet later salute him - or maybe I liked this bit, I'm not sure yet); yet another prediction - I've had eough predictions after the last series and maybe there could be another technique for hinting of what's to come
    Yes, I enjoyed this and nothing worried me too much - a solid 7 out of 10.

Couldn't agree with you anymore! The Trytivors just seemed too arbitrary,
    aside from the fact that they were the reason/excuse for the needed power source.
    Too random and under-delivered considering it is 2009. The Unit Captain didn't
    bother me too much. But why did the scientist Malcolm have to emphasize how
    much he loved the Doctor??? What a fanboy. Maybe he has some of Cptn. Jack's
    ambiguous love to throw around. 7/10 indeed!

I Really Think Doctor Who Triumphs.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 11:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Doctor Who did not win its time slot on Saturday. Britain's Got Talent had 11.4 million viewers, while the Doctor received only 8.7 (at peak times). I don't think this takes into account DVRs however, so I would expect the numbers to go up.
    But BGT has regularly beat DW in the past. Hardly worrying. DW's still in the top 10 shows of the week, and it positively trounced Primeval and Robin Hood. This is a much better result than, say, BGT's smackdown of "Silence in the Library". On that occasion, DW ended up as only the 27th most popular program of the week, which represented the lowest share and rank for the BBC Wales version.

To give a closer comparison, POTD more than holds its own against other episodes of New Who that have aired on the same Saturday in April in previous years. It will achieve substantially bigger numbers than "The Fires of Pompeii" and "New Earth", and, when the final figures come in, will more narrowly beat "The Unquiet Dead" and "Gridlock". Once timeshift has been factored in, It has a reasonable chance of equalling the highest rank of these "2d week in April" episodes, "Gridlock", which settled at 7th place. Interestingly, although "The Unquiet Dead" will end up with the closed ratings to POTD (it brought in about 8.9 million viewers), it was only the 15th most-watched show that week, meaning that POTD will have a notably higher share.

[Some might say that it's not fair to compare episodes from the same week of the year. If you instead believe that a better comparison is between the first episode of each season, because POTD is the first episode of DW since the Christmas special, POTD still does well. It'll come close to "Partners in Crime"'s 9.1 million, and almost certainly narrowly defeat "New Earth" and "Smith and Jones". "Rose", however, is likely comfortably ahead at 10.8 million, but then "Rose" didn't follow a Christmas special. Still Rose only got 7th place, which POTD has a chance of equalling.)

Add to all that the fact that DW is a scripted drama and BGT isn't — so DW can still claim a high prize in its own category of programming — and you can see that we should be positively ecstatic about DW's continuing good fortunes.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM EDT
    Interesting thoughts. I didn't know the BBC were thinking of ending the show without RTD. I also think putting on three shows strain the production crew and that more effort going into DW would be better but I've heard the arguements about that and agree...sort of. I just think that it would be better to have quality stories than junky ones, too.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Interesting thoughts. I didn't know the BBC were thinking of ending the show without RTD. I also think putting on three shows strain the production crew and that more effort going into DW would be better but I've heard the arguements about that and agree...sort of. I just think that it would be better to have quality stories than junky ones, too.

Hundred percent agree with you about quality and I totally agree that I'd rather have no Doctor Who than rubbish Doctor Who. But then that's why personally I feel it's a good idea to take a year out and scout for the best scripts possible. It is story, afterall, that has always made Doctor Who so good and it's ability to tell good stories despite budgetary restraints.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 11:50 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  atomic99] Also, does anyone know how I can find out what the music is that plays in these confidentials? I always hear something I like and they never list it in the credits.

Particularly, about 11.5 minutes into the DW Confidential "Desert Storm" special there is an electro techno-type song that plays. I'm looking for the Artist and Song title. Thanks.

They list the music in the Confidentials on the web site:

Desert Storm

Click on Information, then Music List.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 12:54 PM EDT
    Has anyone seen the Japanese movie Vexille?
    This story seemed and EXACT rip off from it. It's all i could think about all the way through.

Hated - Flying bus, premonition, UNIT's disregard for the Doctor and Michelle's accent
    Loved - Lee Evans (Malcom indeed!), the next trailer

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 01:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]

Doctor Who did not win its time slot on Saturday. Britain's Got Talent had 11.4 million viewers, while the Doctor received only 8.7 (at peak times). I don't think this takes into account DVRs however, so I would expect the numbers to go up.

You are misreading. Doctor Who did not win the night. But it was not up against Britain's Got Talent, it was head-to-head against Primeval and crushed it convincingly!

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 01:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    With regards to the replacements needing to have been made a long time ago, I believe that it is on record that the BBC were considering closing the whole show down without RTD.

If you believe that then you are crazy. Its one of the biggest money makers for the BBC there is - despite its cost. If you read "The Writer's Tale" it is clear that the BBC were begging RTD to do a full series this year, and he said no. And contractually they couldn't do anything about that. But there was NO WAY it was even close to getting cancelled.

(You may be confusing this with the JNT era, which you reference, when there was every likelhood it would have been cancelled earlier than it was if JNT had left)

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored