The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Hello Kitty
    Hello Kitty
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition] Views: 10774
     Saturday, April 11 2009 @ 06:22 PM EDT

Feel free to add you thoughts and spoilers here

I liked this story. It had a lot of good pacing to it. The creatures reminded me of what the Nimon should have been, had they had decent special effects in the Tom Baker era.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM EDT
    On the whole I feel that this episode lived up to its billing: a fun romp.
    Things I liked: the opening shots - wondering when the Doctor would appear; another alien planet - a great looking landscape; an iconic English symbol looking so out of place in the desert; an interesting alien - the sting ray swarms who create wormholes and then ravage the planets they visit like locusts; Michelle Ryan - phwoarr - about time we had an interesting companion with an agenda like Lady Cristina; Malcolm - Lee Evans played him to perfection; UNIT - always good to see them; referencing of the Giant Robot; the trailer for The Waters of Mars; the pace of the story overall - it didn't feel too long or short (makes me wish that the regular series had 1-hour episodes as my biggest criticisms usually concern the production team making sacrifices to the stories in order to wrap them up in 42 mins)
    Things that could have been better for me: the fly creatures (can't remember their names) looked just like something from the classic series ie somebody wearing a prosthetic head; the other passengers - for me they were just loose wheels and had nothing really to contribute to the story; the UNIT captain (also forgotten her name - her willingness to sacrifice the Doctor and yet later salute him - or maybe I liked this bit, I'm not sure yet); yet another prediction - I've had eough predictions after the last series and maybe there could be another technique for hinting of what's to come
    Yes, I enjoyed this and nothing worried me too much - a solid 7 out of 10.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM EDT
    I liked this story.

What really worked for me (no idea why) was that action was occurring at two locations - the alien planet and the tunnel. I liked the back and forth of that. (I did enjoy Lee Evans absent-minded professor bit as well).

When the bus arrived at the planet, the first thought I had was "I wonder how many are going to die?" I was surprised it was only the driver and the flies - I really expected another passenger or two to not make it through.

Lady Christina... well, I just felt her character was too much of a Lara Croft rip-off, down to the clothing. Still, the dialog between the two was very good banter. Not sure I get why the Doctor got onto the bus really, he could have followed the signal w/o getting on the bus I'd have thought. Loved the chocolate bunny (or egg, who could tell) at the beginning.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 01:27 AM EDT
    Well not bad, but a bit derivative. The basic set up on the Bus seemed like midnight, even though there were many locations there was the element of people who didn't know each other being thrown together.

I quite liked Christina (I suspect they might come back to her). Didn't really think of her as Lara Croft though - No guns, No Shorts, No ..... (plus she's not actually a thief). I wonder if like Rose she has a medal for gymnastics?
    The cat Burglar bit was a bit too "Mission Impossible" for my liking.

The aliens looked like the Vincent Price fly. I was expecing to see a fly's body at the end with a human head on it!

The only thing I really object to was the flying bus. Seems too Harry Potter like (or Iris Wyldetime - which is even worse). The CGI bus seemed really fake, perhaps because a rushed special effect had to be substituded near the end when the bus was damaged on the location.

Didn't really like the way they had Capt Magambo behave about shutting the wormhole down. Can't really see the Brig. doing that (or Colonel Mace or General Sanchez for that matter). Seems more like the behavior that was attributed to Torchwood (Canary Wharf Branch Big Grin ).

The flying aliens reminded me of the 1950s War of the Worlds aliens War Machines for some reason.

I did appreciate that the alien planet didn't actually look like a quarry. Though my Son was convinced that the desert was CGI.

Trailer for the next episode looks more promising.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 02:32 AM EDT
    Okay, I don’t know what to make of that. It certainly wasn’t as bad as NEXT DOCTOR and had pace, action, and some good character stuff. Perhaps I’m just tired of this Doctor and he needs to move on as much as RTD. There’s something missing, inherently. Much of the dialog from the Doctor is patronizing, familiar, far beyond egotistical, and dull at this stage. His dialog offers nothing new. His “interaction” with the leading lady forced and flirty, for no reason…and then he lets her not come with him in the end. His “loss” bit of speech at the end is annoying already. He didn’t lose all of them…he cast them some of them aside at times (Rose, Sarah Jane). Malcolm seemed unnecessary but I guess they were doing the same thing they did in the DEAMONS with the UNIT scientist trying to get the forcefield open. The effects in this were adequate, the story okay if a bit too TREMORS, PITCH BLACK, and THE FLY for me. The alien flies: why did they have clothing on? How can spaceships have vents that the monsters can get through, in space? Why a big red button over a force field security device? Why a security device forcefield in that spot? And the Doctor boards a bus and starts telling strangers that he travels in time and space in a roundabout way? Like I said, this was okay and certainly more upbeat than we’ve had lately but again…we get a “you’re song is ending” bit…we know that, move on already!  In any event, this was not the mess I thought it would be and it could have been so much worse. It was okay. I’d give it a 6/10 or even a 7/10.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 02:33 AM EDT
    Also looks like they adapting a recent annual story about water aliens. Once more mining other sources.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 03:47 AM EDT
    I thought the special was average at best, particularly the story and aliens. I know RTD gets excited about it during the Press and Confidentials but it wasn't his best work.

That being said, I didn't find it terrible either. I always enjoy seeing Michelle Ryan and her character was a welcome change from the other female companions. Is she returning for more? I felt like there is more to be told with her. And it is always great to see Tennant. Always puts a smile on my face when he first appears after we've waited a few months for more DW.

I also find myself longing for the days when U.N.I.T. were the good guys and we had familiar faces like the Brigadier, Benton, and Yates. Perhaps this new Captain and the two guys from the bus will return?

Malcolm was just a little too much on the comedy side but I'd welcome his return as well. Basically, we've gotten Rose, Donna, and Martha's family as supporting cast since the show returned. It would be nice to break the mold and have the Doctor's new "family" of supporting characters be something different like U.N.I.T. and Christina. At least through the rest of the specials (although I have no clue what the upcoming plans are other than the rumors).

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 03:50 AM EDT
    Also, does anyone know how I can find out what the music is that plays in these confidentials? I always hear something I like and they never list it in the credits.

Particularly, about 11.5 minutes into the DW Confidential "Desert Storm" special there is an electro techno-type song that plays. I'm looking for the Artist and Song title. Thanks.

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM EDT
    Well, I feel that a lot of these one off episodes fail because they have a lack of time to develop ideas and characters. The guys on the bus were under-developed and under-utilised. They served no purpose other than to have people on the bus. Even the Michelle Ryan and Lee Evans characters didn't have the time to develop. And when they said to call UNIT I was praying that either the Brigadier or Benton was going to appear.

Why did the doctor jump on the bus??? After Runaway Bride we know he is more than capable of driving the Tardis down the motorway. Surely if he was chasing a wormhole then the Tardis was going to be a lot more useful than the bus full of civilians.

The flymen were a bit too much like the dodgy aliens of the classic series. They looked terrible and again served no real purpose. The Doctor might as well have found the alien spaceship with all members of the crew dead. They looked terrible in the photo and terrible in the show.

The special effects were very second rate. Almost eveery special effect of the bus looked absolutely horrific. I think we are maybe too used to seeing relatively good special effects. These were certainly the worst I have seen since the new series started (even worse than the lazarous experiment monster).

I think RTD now thinks "what stupid thing can we get the sonic screwdriver to do this time", and this time he surpassed himself - the doctor turning his glasses into dark glasses!!!!! I almost had to hide behind the sofa due to the horror of it. And the fact is that this doctor seems to be pulling out the sonic screwdriver a bit too often. It seems like ever other scene must have a line that says "doctor pulls out the sonic screwdriver and points it at....."

Not great.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 07:10 AM EDT
    I sometimes wonder what people want. I guess it's just horses for courses, as personally I loved it. 9/10.

I particularly enjoyed Lee Evans' character - he played him very well, and it was a direct shout-out to the brilliant Bryn of the equally brilliant Gavin & Stacey.

I wasn't sure about Michelle Ryan's posh accent at first, but it sort of grew on me.

My only problem with it was the CGI of the flying bus - it was pretty naff. Other than that I was quite delighted.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 10:30 AM EDT
    I have to disagree about UNIT. I think it's had its day and the less we see the better of UNIT and of TORCHWOOD for that matter too. Anyway, UNIT almost always means a threat to Earth and we have far too much of that in the new series anyway. What about aliens or historical characters? UNIT really only worked, if it ever did, when the series was on regularly and we could see Benton week after week or in more episodes. I felt UNIT in this story was not needed at all, anyone else could have had the portal on the other side,even the losers from TORCHWOOD. Or the new action packed science officer Rose.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM EDT
    The episode was a romp, but was it fun? Don't know. Let's take a look ...

I liked the overall pace of the show, it looked great (the external shots of London, the desert and the overall CGI and HD); episode references--"Robot;" "Midnight" ('Why does everybody on buses blame me?'); "Delta and the Bannermen," of course the flying bus; the trailer at the end for WATERS OF MARS and ... well, nothing else.

Much could have been better. Didn't like Michelle Ryan--thought her character was too cocky and wasn't that sexy or interesting; Malcolm was goofy at best; didn't like the lack of the Tardis; don't think the Trinivores or whatever they're called are going to be "classic" anytime soon, since namely we can't understand them or the metal manta ray things that have no name that are an animalistic version of the Borg; the other characters on the bus were pointless at best, except for the psychic who was there to move the plot along and deliver and ominious warning at the end.

The whole episode had a "classic" feeling to it, that at times worked for it and against it--UNIT, creatures wearing overalls with big heads, references to past shows and oddly enough, very strange 70s and 80s background music at times that was oddly distracting.

Agree with most of what Chase is saying--tired of the "loss" speech at the end of every episode; we have indeed heard most of his speeches before; the specifics of the episodes--plot points--were flawed at best, with the doctor giving the most vaguest ever of explanations; i'd rather he yell "Reverse the neutron flow" than "time-whimey, spacey-whacey" stuff.

Lastly, the sonic screwdriver must go. It was cute for the 4th and 9th doctor, out of character for the 5th and annoying for the 10th; the 11th should place it under his heel and step... or meet another Terileptil, they like melting those things Laughing Out Loud .

Did I enjoy it? Yes. But once more, we've been here done that. A solid 6/10.

What we observe is not Nature Itself, but Nature exposed to our method of questioning.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 10:56 AM EDT
    I thought it was crap. 2 or 3 stories left for the guy, and THIS is what they throw together?

I liked:
    - Michelle Ryan: Very nice to look at, even if she was in dark clothing the whole time
    - The psychic's foreshadowing at the end. Really gets the juices flowing about speculation for the countdown to the next Doctor.

I didn't like (oh where to start):
    - The flying bus: Bad on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.
    - The script: Next time, save some airfare $$$ by filming at a local beach, instead of Dubai. Take that extra money and give it to a script writer/editor.
    - Dr. Malcolm: Not too bad, but a little over the top. Also I can't picture him in anything but There's Something About Mary. If Lee is a more well respected actor, then I apologize for my limited viewing of his material...this one is probably my fault more than anything.
    - The Doctor freeing Christina at the end. It was kind of nice to see him put his foot down and let the police take her away. Yes, I know the irony as he's technically a thief himself, but still would've been good to stick to his guns and not save her...
    - The bug aliens. Did RTD find those laying around a closet at the BBC studios? Maybe a creature from one of the canned classic Who stories?
    - The Doctor speaking the language of the aliens. First it was foolish. I've heard this special was supposed to be more on the "funny" side but I thought it was dumb. 2 more points on the matter: 1. How could the Doctor understand them? They weren't remotely close to the TARDIS for it to translate. And 2. If the TARDIS always translates for him, and he could speak/click their native tongue, then how/why did he learn their language to begin with? If everybody on Earth spoke English, why would I bother to learn Spanish or German?
    - Chase made a good point: Why the on/off switch for a SECURITY device? Might as well attach a hook to the outside door of my house so I can hang my key there when I lock it in case I go out. It looked like one of those "easy" buttons they sell at Staples, which seems very appropriate (folks outside the US probably won't get this reference). Major plot hole.
    - The UNIT commander lady firing her sidearm at the fish creature. Her troops are firing automatic weapons, and anti-aircraft missles at the thing, and she's firing her handgun? Kind of like throwing rocks at a tank if you ask me. Didn't make sense.
    - Preview for the next special wasn't that "special" either. Not really sad that we have to wait until November-ish to see it. Probably would've been better not to show anything, and just release another trailer for it in a few weeks.

I don't think I had my expectations set too high for this. I really don't. I had not been expecting much at all, after the track record of Xmas specials. Overall, the worst of any non-regular-series special. This would've been better served as a filler episode during a regular series. Maybe something to lower our expectations before a good 2 or 3 part finale. One notch above Love & Monsters at the bottom of the Who barrel of episodes. Sorry folks.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 11:50 AM EDT
    Perhaps this is the best indicator of how it did...

Britains Got Talent Beats Doctor Who

But I hope not!

EDIT: Fixed link.—Taras

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 12 2009 @ 01:43 PM EDT
    I enjoyed this episode sure this isn't a blink but i still found it very enjoyable.

I enjoyed the stingray like monsters not sure if they were given a name but they seemed good, I really enjoyed Michelle Ryan as the companion I enjoyed the way she seemed to be a match for the doctor,
    i liked some of the nods in this episode to the classic series such as the robots of death and the Qattermass experiment

I didnt really like the fly people or what ever there called it just didn't seem to click with me also i found UNIT a bit average in this episode apart from malcom i would have hated them the woman in charge just didn't seem right

the episode looked quite good in HD

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed