The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    7 Doctor Character Tankards
    7 Doctor Character Tankards
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition] Views: 10987
     Monday, April 13 2009 @ 01:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Okay, I don’t know what to make of that. It certainly wasn’t as bad as NEXT DOCTOR and had pace, action, and some good character stuff. Perhaps I’m just tired of this Doctor and he needs to move on as much as RTD. There’s something missing, inherently. Much of the dialog from the Doctor is patronizing, familiar, far beyond egotistical, and dull at this stage. His dialog offers nothing new.

We really are watching a different show aren't we? Are you sure you weren't one of the few people watching Primeval? (After all, they did - laughably - use the "Reverse the polarity..." line on Saturday night. Guess what show they *wish* they were!!!!)

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 01:44 PM EDT
    So, what did I think? (Now I've gotten those ripostes off my chest)

This was a fun romp. And very well done (a few bus CGI bits aside, but considering the time they had to do it, I can forgive them that). The character interaction worked just fine, the plot was quite clever. (How someone can make the comment that "The Swarm" were like the borg is beyond me - don't the borg assimilate and build? These things just seem to eat. Not especially similar).

The sandy vista of Dubai looked fantastic. You could never have done that on a Welsh beach - especially not in January when they filmed this.

The use of UNIT was different an interesting - and I hope that at some point they revisit the Major's decision - which would have been wrong as it turned out. And it really makes the point that they are not the organization that the Doctor is used to. You couldn't do that with Torchwood. He doesn't trust them. But he does trust UNIT. But they (apparently) don't completely go the same way. That's interesting.

Once again you see the Doctor's brain working in this as he runs through possibilities - for the nature of the swarm and the threat and how to get everyone home. His brain works so fast as he uses his experience and knowledge to do the best he can.

Lady Christina was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed Malcolm too. Some lovely character work once again, and the dialog was fun pretty much all the way through. Sure, we got the by-now-obligatory kiss (will Lynsey Duncan be next) but no one can say that the Doctor instigated it. And letting her go at the end felt completely right to me.

And while you can all nit-pick, and I could too if I chose to, this was a very enjoyable hour of TV. The best story ever? No. And I don't think it was ever intended to be. But there were some fun moments and some exciting moments - and watching this last night with a bunch of 40 Doctor Who fans at Professor Thom's in NYC was a fantastic experience. One that anyone who has never watched a new episode of Doctor Who communcally should try. Its an eye-opener. As a group we laughed and gasped and oooh-ed and aaahh-ed at all the placed I would have though Russell and the production team intended us to. And isn't that what this show is supposed to do and this special in particular said it was going to do on the tin?

The answer from where I stand, from my viewing and from observing so many other Doctor Who fans viewing, is a resounding YES!!!!!!!!

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 01:45 PM EDT
    Julie Gardner last week on "The Story of Doctor Who" called the show the BBC's flagship show. There is fresh blood coming in 2010. Why all the hysteria?

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 02:42 PM EDT
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. OK it wasn't a classic story but it was a good fun exciting story.
    I have never seen Michelle Ryan before (Don't watch Eastenders & never saw The Bionic Woman) but I was very impressed with her. On the other hand I am very aware off Lee Evans. I cant stand his "comedy" so I was amazed how good he was.
    8/10 for me.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Has anyone seen the Japanese movie Vexille?
    This story seemed and EXACT rip off from it. It's all i could think about all the way through.

Hated - Flying bus, premonition, UNIT's disregard for the Doctor and Michelle's accent
    Loved - Lee Evans (Malcom indeed!), the next trailer

I haven't seen Vexille but it is now on my Netflix queue. The trailer looks good and some parts did seem like Planet of the Dead.

I Really Think Doctor Who Triumphs.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 03:58 PM EDT
    Did no one recognize the UNIT Capt. Magambo from "Turn Left"? I especially liked her line, "Finally- guns that work!" Was a nice callback to Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.

I also reminded myself that the power source needed for the bus in "Delta and the Bannermen" was also a crystal. That made the Doctor's throwing it aside more amusing for me in POTD.

Anyway- I really enjoyed this much better than "The Next Doctor".

I also loved the bit where the Doctor used the Sonic Screwdriver to make sunglasses. At least the resolution didn't involve using it to start the bus or close the wormhole!

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 04:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee] If you believe that then you are crazy.

No, not crazy. Read it somewhere a while back. Might be true. Might not be. The BBC have finished massively popular shows before at the height of their success: This Life in the nineties being one that springs to mind. They also suspended their most popular radio and TV presenter for six months without a thought to ratings. It may not be something that you believe. It's definitely not something I can prove but whatever happened to mature discussion of points without becoming insulting?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 06:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee] The use of UNIT was different an interesting - and I hope that at some point they revisit the Major's decision - which would have been wrong as it turned out. And it really makes the point that they are not the organization that the Doctor is used to. You couldn't do that with Torchwood. He doesn't trust them. But he does trust UNIT. But they (apparently) don't completely go the same way. That's interesting.

I don't think that UNIT didn't trust the Doctor. It was more of a one life against an entire planet decision. The Captain wanted to save the Doctor but couldn't risk the planet (as far as she knew, he wasn't going to get back in time). This seems like a logical, strategic position for a military organization whose mission is to protect the planet to take.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 06:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] Did no one recognize the UNIT Capt.

I thought she looked familiar but wasn't sure if it was from Doctor Who or something else I've seen in the last few years.

I like the continuity that she would actualy exist.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 07:05 PM EDT
    I have to say that I really enjoyed this.

I loved that they brought back UNIT Capt. Magambo. Maybe she'll start being a familiar UNIT face. And maybe Nathan and Barkley from the bus as well.

It was a lot of the smaller details that made this enjoyable for me.
    -Been a fan of Michelle Ryan for a while.
    -"Humans on buses always blaming me."
    -The 'where were you going?' We've seen this other places but it definitely added needed emotion for those characters who didnt have a big role.
    -Doctor's 1st call with the Cpt. and Malcom.
    -"You look human." "You look TimeLord."
    -I like that there is something about huge pits that makes the Doctor just spill his guts about things. (*Satan's Pit and this special)
    -He'll knock four times... = The Master??! (*Sound of Drums)

Things that made me go 'what??'
    -No security grid above the cup in the museum.
    -Christina taking her mask off IN the museum, lol.
    -Fly creatures could have been a lil better. Not sure how tho.
    -Flying bus was a stretch.

These were just a few quick things.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 14 2009 @ 12:34 AM EDT
    A Enjoyable pop corn romp at the time.
    Not very memmorable.
    Great alien vilain.
    Felt it was very Pitch Black right from the trailer and still do.
    Chris Evan's great as Malcolm.
    As for the comment at the end about the Doctor Looking after Himself i felt the Master could be coming back.
    Waters of Mars i got the impression the natives are water based and replace the humans water in there Bodys with themselves so as to animate themselves in the Humans environment.
    Just My Thoughts.
    All the best,
    James.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM EDT
    I might be one among many but I thought the fly faces were well done...they just didn't really look right on the bodies they had

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 09:01 PM EDT
    Barnabee, we aren't watching a different show but you're just seeing it through DW rose colored glasses. EVERY story should be intended to be the best story by the production crew. And the problem is: they feel the same way you do: that mediocre and derivative is okay as long as the ratings stay the same and beat all other shows. Ratings do not mean quality, if so crap like LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY would be called a quality show, a fine arts masterpiece. It's not. Nor is current DW.

The desert, the monsters were all derivative. Lady Christina: same, ditto, seen her in a thousand other things. The wormhole: done better before and probably will be after, too. The flying bus: embarrassing; the Doctor's personality: boring already. His boyish enthusiaum is no longer charming but grating. I KNEW the fly monsters were going to get eaten. Predictable. Wanting some show to be good and it actually being good are two different things. Looking for good things amid the story that isn't the best story ever makes one want it to be good but sadly it's not very. Malcolm and UNIT: Dull and silly. Not funny. Unlike JOURNEY'S END at least not every line of dialog contradicted other lines of dialog not to mention other DW stories and at least this story didn't rely on the sagging mythology of the all consuming Time War. Still, was this a story you want to watch over again and show others as an example of DW? My answer is NO.

For great I'd say: just about the entire first season, DOOMSDAY, BLINK, HUMAN NATURE/FAMILY OF BLOOD, EMPTY CHILD, etc etc, I've made the list far too many times.

Thing is: we all know after we've seen a story or a show or movie how we feel and we all feel slightly or majorly different. But I also know when I feel cheated by a show or movie and I felt very cheated by JOURNEY'S END and NEXT DOCTOR and maybe just a slight bit cheated by PLANET OF THE DEAD.

Something just is not right. It doesn't have that grandness that say, PARTING OF THE WAYS (or the Pompei story or the Agatha Christie story or MIDNIGHT) had. It says nothing new, gives us nothing new, and adds nothing to the character or gives us as viewers some emotional depth or even good action. And it wasn't fun for me as it was for you. Fun is not knowing what was going to happen, seeing Donna quip about the giant wasp or facing the Doctor down to save someone in an emtional sequence, watching the 9th Doctor sacrifice his life for Rose just after she sacrificed her life for him...the Doctor saving everyone in EMPTY CHILD'S climax, the action that ended Doomsday and the emotional scene at the end...Jackie asking the Doctor if her daughter is safe...the balloon ride Rose took...Martha running from the aliens in HUMAN NATURE, protecting the Doctor, these things among others are what makes DW great. I see none of that in PLANET OF DEAD. Just a plain, dull sci fi story with nothing new.

I like action packed stuff but I like my action to have meaning and to make sense (for that read the Alex Rider books--great action but it all makes sense within the story). In PLANET OF DEAD, the action makes little to no sense, when there is action. And there's not much.

So yeah I liked it but I didn't really really love it like I did other of the New Series stuff. Nor did I hate it like I hate the Master two parter at the end of the season, NEXT DOCTOR, JOURNEY'S END, and the two part Empire State travesty. This one falls somewhere in the middle as mildly entertaining and overly forgettable. It doesn't even have a Tom Baker to keep us surprised and interested in what the Doctor is going to do next. Tennant is good but he's old hat right now and offers nothing new. He's no Tom Baker, who could enliven almost ANY story (although I can think of two he couldn't).

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 09:11 PM EDT
    On the whole, I was disappointed in the episode - but I'll give three positives and limit myself to three negatives.

BAD
    1) The sing-songy inspirational music at the end went ON and ON. Ok, we get it, they're having a laugh - but I couldn't buy into the joy because they hadn't developed the characters well enough.
    2) The Fly-guys in the jump suits and their ship - Tacked on, unnecessary and kind of annoying.
    3) The Doctor's speech about how important were the plans of the bus passengers - no matter how mundane, they were special....I've heard that several times before.

GOOD
    1) Black Hole in London and they bus driver running through and getting skeletonized. Cool stuff and a good start.
    2) Manta-Ray monsters - slightly underutilized, but a welcome introduction to the series.
    3) Michelle Ryan in the desert w/ a black cat-suit and shades...wow!

All in all, I'd still only give it about 4 out of 10. It's no Creature from the Pit...but not Talons either.

Interesting plot but inevitably forgettable.

Yes, I still have the rubbish beard!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    They list the music in the Confidentials on the web site:

Desert Storm

Click on Information, then Music List.

You are BRILLIANT!!
    Thanks a million. I tracked down the song and purchased it within 5 minutes with your help. I was going to say the song reminds me of Röyksopp meets Little Boots but the song is indeed a Röyksopp song!!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored