The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshockers
    Podshockers
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition]
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Planet of the Dead [Spoiler Edition] Views: 11720
     Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 09:35 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  texastimelord] Did anyone notice the lack of TARDIS interior scenes? I wonder if we will see any in The Water of Mars special this November. Makes me think the production team has already dismantled the current one. I do remember reading that Tennant's console would not hold up to HD scrutiny.

It could also be that they need time to "touch it up" a little. Remember this episode was put together on an incredibly tight schedule - less than 3 months from the start of shooting to broadcast!

I don't think there's any way Russell doesn't have a "Wilf enters the console room" scene! We all now how much he loves that scene! Smile

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:22 PM EDT
    the Sock Puppet video is very funny, thanks for posting it

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:37 PM EDT
    Yeah. Now that I've thought about it and on reflection thanks to your posts---I would have to see it in a new light and give it a 3/10 or a 4/10. Positives? It was well filmed, well lit, and...and...it wasn't more than one part really. More positives: It wasn't as bad as some of the more recent stuff. I wasn't terribly bored by it.

Also the Krynoid and the Swarm together as the same type of thing? Not really. Krynoids take over humans and incorporate them into them, horrifyingly and the Swarm just merely eats people and are done with them.

Truly I can't do it without the negatives: the acting was not good from anyone involved I'm afraid. It felt as if they were just following along with the numbers or playing the lines by rote. The Brig or whatever she was was boring and had no personality. The stupid Lee Evans character was not funny or real or anything really. He added nothing to the story. The Big Red Button wasn't funny and I dn't care if harked back to the Christmas Invasion,...at least in that great story it made some sense. David and Christina (the character) had NO chemistry or rapport. It was forced. In fact, everyone just kind of speaks to each other. The story was predictable but at least it wasn't morbid and awful. The action could have been better and more urgent.

The other thing: The whole "Your song is up" bit. We've heard it before. Oooohhhh. Who cares. It's just another gimmick. We know, we all know he's going to regenerate...so big deal. Glad that this know all Doctor will get his soon. That said, it is also irritating how this Doctor has to have others prove themselves to him as if they are worthless compared to him and those he deems fit. It's as if he's judging everyone and thy have to meet hsi standards. I also had tis problem with the dumping Adam episode. "I only take the best". Indeed.

In past days, the Fourth Doctor offered rides to almost anyone. The Fifth had a whole menagerie in his Tardis in some stories. And if Peri, Mel, and Turlough are the best...blimey!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase]
    Also the Krynoid and the Swarm together as the same type of thing? Not really. Krynoids take over humans and incorporate them into them, horrifyingly and the Swarm just merely eats people and are done with them.

Oh good grief, Chase. Are you being obtuse? "Same type of thing" doesn't mean THE SAME. It means that they are similar. They both follow their nature, rather than being a "Villain" per se with a plot, per se. Surely you see the difference between the Krynoids and Sutekh? And if so, why compare The Swarm to Sutekh?

Honestly!

Oh, and glad you've just come clean. You obviously don't have much sense of fun and take all this far too seriously. Can you go and find a Primeval board and bother them?

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:48 PM EDT
    The Krynoid knows what it is doing and is intelligent. I don't thnk the Swarm is/was.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] The Krynoid knows what it is doing and is intelligent. I don't thnk the Swarm is/was.

No any more than the Swarm it doesn't. Harrison Chase does, but the Krynoid is just a monster, looking for something to eat to get big enough to reproduce. Have you actually watched SEEDS OF DOOM lately? The Doctor explains the Krynoid life cycle very clearly.

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:55 PM EDT
    Yes, at one point it says, "Give us the Doctor and you will be spared." Intelligence. The Doctor says it is no longer Keeler but the Krynoid. Sarah says, "IT speaks." It also organizes a mass attack of regular plants and senses the Doctor's knowledge of the Krynoid.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM EDT
    Fair enough. But its hardly Sutekh-level intelligence is it? Wink

Wednesday, April 15 2009 @ 09:59 PM EDT
    All in all, I enjoyed this one enough. Nothing spectacular about it, the usual plot holes you can drive a bus through (pun intended), etc.

I guess I didn't have any major problems with it, beyond the fact that it didn't really feel like it was worth the wait. It just felt like a standard episode.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  silvanthalas] I guess I didn't have any major problems with it, beyond the fact that it didn't really feel like it was worth the wait. It just felt like a standard episode.

I agree. I liked it. But given that there are only 4 specials this year I expected something big from them. But I am getting the feeling that the first two will be 'regular-esque' and the last two will be the big guns.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Started well - looked great - didn't like the main part with too many solutions provided by the companions bag or with their talents.

He's a good roundup of the episode:-

Cheers, daveac

I was just about to post the same YouTube video. Great stuff.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, April 16 2009 @ 06:43 PM EDT
    Not too bad but not great. Decent entertainment though (unlike the BGT freak show on ITV) but still had a standard Series 4 episode feel to it rather than a Special. The word "romp" has seem to have been accepted to described the episode. About right but the Carry On films were a romp as well and it definitely would have been special if they'd gone for the romp factor with gusto Wink Lee Evans as the new Kenneth Williams? unfortunately not but he was surprisingly likeable in it though. Anyway, the Confidential was pretty good (lots of moaning about sand and wind) but definitely looking forward to the next one (even if it might lack the Ice Warriors). By the way, I've never got round to posting this but in the Confidentials for all the series, don't you think the choreographer lady is amusing in the way she ends up making all the "monsters" walk in the same way. The fly people walked in the exact same style as the Pig Slaves, the Hath, etc. Very funny. Having said that, how many ways are there to walk menacingly or slowly or both?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 21 2009 @ 06:31 PM EDT
    Is is just me, or did Lady Christina look as if she were Gwen Cooper's little sister? Overall, a fun ride. Christina was a bit of an uber-girl scout though. And really, after all the movies, no alarm on the top of the display? Oh well. Now the long wait for the next episode.

Bruce in Billerica MA.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do s

Tuesday, June 02 2009 @ 05:50 AM EDT
    Good, fun episode. Liked some of the references such the Giant Robot and the Doc going on about his teeth (regeneration hints).

I read a rumor somewhere that Professor Malcolm Taylor is the Meddling Monk in disguise. As much as I like his character that would be a cool twist.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 02 2009 @ 09:51 PM EDT
    Yeah you guys are right. I hate it. My rewatch score: 1 out 10

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic