The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    DELETED!!!
    DELETED!!!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  New Movie imminent?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New Movie imminent? Views: 2507
     Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 08:59 AM EDT
    Just spotted this on IGN. What does everyone think?

Bollocks...sir.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 09:15 AM EDT
    Like all movie adaptations, whether it's from a TV series, novel, comic book, it can be a good thing or a bad thing.

But like all Who rumors, I'll believe it when I see it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 09:28 AM EDT
    Whatever it says, Doctor Who should never be made into a big screen movie. The show is better than that. I hope that the BBC can buck the trend and avoid cashing in and spoiling our great show. How can you explain 40+ years of history in a hour and an half anyway? Wink

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]How can you explain 40+ years of history in a hour and an half anyway? Wink

That's a very good point. To really cash in, a movie needs to be appealling to a mass audience. You can't assume each person that walks into a movie theater knows everything about The Doctor, the TARDIS, and Gallifrey. You need to attract casual viewers, and to do that, they'll probably have to dumb it down and take a good portion of the movie introducing the character of The Doctor for those that don't know anything about him. This is my biggest gripe with most comic book/movie adaptations...they spend too long introducing characters, that there's very little time left for the real action which we had hoped to see.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 11:37 AM EDT
    I find this questionable.

For starters the timing is all wrong - especially since we're in the process of changing Doctors. If it is true who will be playing the Doctor?

...but then again, the two movies in the 1960's ran with Peter Cushing as the Doctor and nobody from the series had anything to do with it.

However there might be some credence to the story because I found it posted on another site - Digital spy. If it was on just one site I'd be more skeptical of it but, we know so little about it that it is too early to know for certain.

Just for the record here is digital spy's link to the story:
    Arrow BBC confirms "Doctor Who" movie plans

Just to make my position clear - I have doubts about it but if it is true I hope it's good.

PS: BBC's websites have no stories about the movie but then again they usually keep quiet about things until they are near releasing whatever they are working on.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 12:04 PM EDT
    The Sci-Fi Wire is reporting a spokeswoman for BBC Films confirms a script is on the works. Tennant is coming to the U.S. for Masterpiece Theater.

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Ken] The Sci-Fi Wire is reporting a spokeswoman for BBC Films confirms a script is on the works. Tennant is coming to the U.S. for Masterpiece Theater.

Thanks for the tip!

And here is the story on SCI FI Wire (US version):

Arrow A Doctor Who movie is in the works, but not clear if David Tennant will star

OH! and here is the story about David Tennant in Masterpiece - as the HOST.

Arrow Masterpiece Contemporary - New Host, New Season

BTW: Masterpiece is currently running the show "Masterpiece: Mystery" and will air it's third episode for the season (out of 17 episodes) on Sunday (part three of "Wallander: One Step Behind").

Upcoming episode include Six weeks of Agatha christie with Julia McKenzie taking over as Miss Marple (for four episodes) and David Suchet opening the grouping with two "Poroit" stories, and in August and September look forward to "Inspector Lewis" for six weeks. When "Wallander" concludes this weekend we will have an encore presentation of "Foyle's War" (series five) the next two weeks.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 01:26 PM EDT
    Julie Gardner is in L.A. with BBC America now and Russell had a leak on his website about his movie plans.

"There comes a time, Timelord, when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance"

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 07:43 PM EDT
    Why is everyone being so negative about this? Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 27 2009 @ 11:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Why is everyone being so negative about this? Smile

It's not needed. I rather see a good series of 14 episodes than a big film potential disaster.

Let's look at Doctor Who's track record on the big screen... the two Cushing films went completely off established canon. It would mean having to reintroduce it to a wider market than just the fans or those that may be familiar with the television series.

Will it work within the existing continuity? Will it be a senseless reboot like the latest Star Trek film?

There have been more failures than successes when it comes to making the leap from television to film. Hopefully, DW would be one of the exceptions.

There have been "scripts in development" for a new Doctor Who film going back to when Tom Baker was still the Doctor.

So I am a little cautious about it.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 12:12 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

There have been "scripts in development" for a new Doctor Who film going back to when Tom Baker was still the Doctor.

So I am a little cautious about it.

Cheers,
    Louis

If I remember correctly the working title of the movie at that time was "Doctor Who meets Scratchman".

For those of you that don't know Scratchman is another name for the devil.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 12:57 AM EDT
    Thanks, Louis, for your post. I didn't know you felt that way about the Trek reboot. There is also a book about the proposed movies that were almost made and while they add to the mythos of DW, in a way, I'm glad none of them were made, for, in fact or rather IMO, they all seemed to be straying far from that magic of DW...

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 05:16 AM EDT

[Quote  by:  Chase] Thanks, Louis, for your post. I didn't know you felt that way about the Trek reboot...

While not a full-on review, here were my initial thoughts on it after just seeing it. I had promised a full review, but I just haven't had the time for it yet. Arrow Is New Trek, New Coke?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 11:47 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Why is everyone being so negative about this? Smile

Not negative - skeptcal.

Like Louis mentioned, we've been hearing about a new Doctor Who movie since the Tom Baker era. That movie was to be Tom Baker and Vincent Price in "Doctor Who Meets Scratchman", with Vincent Price playing Scratch.

Some prelimeniary work was done but the movie never transpired.

Several times after that and up to the present we've heard rumors of a "Doctor Who" movie, but none of them ever happened, so as a result I've become skeptical when talks of a movie comes up.

The only movie that ever happened after the Cushing movies was the TV-movie with Paul McGann - not the big theatrical release we were looking for.

BTW: There was talk of movies back in Jon Pertwee's time but they never got "off the ground".

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 28 2009 @ 12:04 PM EDT
    Just like most people here I can't actually see it happening. But I'll reserve my judgement for if and when...

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored