The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    CBC Newspaper Ad for The Long Game
    CBC Newspaper Ad for The Long Game
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  "Five Doctors"-style return appeara..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    "Five Doctors"-style return appearances are off Views: 1977
     Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 01:31 PM EDT
    According to this article from the Mirror, Russell T Davies has stated categorically that old doctors will not be making appearances in the new series. If it's true it's a little disappointing - The Five Doctors is one of two old-series episodes I've seen (on top of Silver Nemesis - yes, I know, poor choices Big Grin), but considering the strength of the acting in the new series I thought a new-series version could work very well down the line. Ah well.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=16926209&method=full&siteid=94762-name_page.html

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 01:57 PM EDT
    Well that is a shame that RTD is taking that standpoint when it comes to bringing back old Doctors with David Tennant. I guess the only hope is if we seem some teaming on a Big Finish audio someday. Seems to that as long as it serves to advance new characters he has no trouble bringing back old companions though. Does not give me alot of hope that we will see the Master come back if he wanst to take that view, especially not Anthony Ainley anyways. I hope RTD knows he is alienating alot of the older fans by taking this stance.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 01:58 PM EDT
    Dang double posts...

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 02:51 PM EDT

Yeah, we were talking about this in another thread which I referenced that same Mirror article.

It's probably too soon for a multi-Doctor story now anyway. After all, the first time it happened originally was ten years into the series. I am not sure if RTD will still be producing the series in 2013 or not, but it will be the 50th anniversary at that time... and it would be nice to if there was something special done to celebrate it with perhaps multiple Doctors...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 03:32 PM EDT
    And remember this is the Mirror - which doesn't necessarily tell the truth if a scandal will sell more papers. They're just looking for an opening to do a smear story because the show is so popular. Just look at that first sentence as an opener:

"DOCTOR Who boss Russell T Davies has banned ex-Time Lords from appearing on the show."

That word "banned" - it's such an emotive word. It couldn't just say "Russell T Davies has no plans to do a multi-Doctor story because he thinks they're not generally very good in terms of story."

You watch - next they'll be printing:

"Doctor Who boss Russell T Davies has further infuriated thousands of loyal Doctor Who fans by saying he won't be having previous Doctor William Hartnell in the show.

"'Why would we?' questioned an unrepentent Davies. 'He's been dead for more than thirty years.'"

"The statement comes as a bitter blow to many long-time fans of the series - particularly those unaware of Hartnell's current deceased status."

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 05:29 PM EDT
    I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I have to agree with RTD on this one. I think bringing back prior Doctors would be a mistake. Esp. this early, as Louis says. If they wanted real continuity with the old series, they would have done a McGann regen story.

I think it's too much of a gimmick to bring old Doctors together. As much as I love 3 Doctors and, in its own way, 5 Doctors (haven't seen 2 Doctors). Maybe they could do an Eccleston return somehow and get away with it, but the rest, I just don't think it would work. Can you imagine how, well, awful Colin Baker's outfit, for instance, would look when contrasted side by side with Tennant? And, not to be too indelicate, but aren't the other fellows just a bit too, well, old to be portraying their former selves?

Anyway, as Ken is fond of saying, in RTD we trust. If this is RTD's decision, I for one respect it as the correct one.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 05:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  That Neil Guy] I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I have to agree with RTD on this one. I think bringing back prior Doctors would be a mistake. Esp. this early, as Louis says.

Dunno about you being in a minority - I agree with you myself. While this show is settling in with its new potentially wider audience then throwing in a load of past history too fast is gonna kill it stone dead. Having an air of mystery about the past is what has kept this show so fresh with the new viewers and older fans alike - guest appearances by previous assistants aside, we're all pretty much in the same boat in terms of what we actually know about the current Doctor.

If Russell thinks a multi-Doctor story can't be done effectively then fair enough. Who knows, at some time in the future someone may come along with a script that changes his mind but unless (and until) he's certain that he can pull it off and make it a success then I'd rather he didn't.

Quoted from the Daily Mirror, 10 April 2006:

All the same, some fans are outraged at the ban. Graeme MacIntosh, 37, from Glasgow, said: "I grew up watching Tom Baker and Peter Davison. Russell has done a brilliant job in resurrecting the show, but he's also a fan and knows an old Doctor's return is event TV."

Is it just me or does old Graeme from Glasgow not seem to be particularly "outraged" in his quote?

Goddamit it! Can't we get some posts from some of these "outraged" fans? We need some heated debate.

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 06:38 PM EDT

I am outraged at the faux outrage depicted by the faux journalists in these faux news organizations about what may or may not happen in a fantasy drama program developed as escapist entertainment for the British masses. I am outraged that the BBC is unwilling to charge me a license fee to watch BBC programming in the comfort of my own home unless I move to the UK, and buy a television. I am outraged the the >Spoiler<Sisters of Plentidute would use grown flesh and biocattle as guinea pigs in their reseach into curing all known diseases.>/Spoiler< When will it all end???

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 07:05 PM EDT
    Well, I grew up watching Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, and I am outraged that Mr. Davies is unwilling to consider a cameo appearance by Mr. Pertwee. The current series is rife with computerised special effects and they could certainly produce a Jar-Jar Pertwee using Tom Baker's voice, the most recognized in Britain, so I've read. Now if that isn't event TV, I don't know what is! If I lived in the U.K., I would boycott the current series for the next two business days and urge any friends I might have to do the same! Mr. Davies' continued attempts to redefine the series with brilliant scripts, dynamic acting and cutting-edge special effects will simply not be tolerated! We resent Mr. Davies' obvious abilities to produce a Doctor Who that is simply brilliant television, beloved by a wide range of people!

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Saturday, April 22 2006 @ 09:10 AM EDT
    Being practical couldn't RTD be keeping it more in mind that the majority of previous Doctors are now a lot lot older than when they played the part (as That Niel Guy points out) and most of those remaining, apart from Sylvester and Paul, are also one or two more costume sizes bigger... so far as I am aware Tardis Fabric clothing hasn't been invented yet, even if they could just slim them down via computer graphics.

As much as I respect them there is no way I want to see another multiple Doctors storyline just for the sake of it, because their age and physical state would distract from the show and reflect badly on those acting the series now.

On the other hand - Paul McGann is a fantastic actor who , apart from the movie, was never really given the oppertunity to develope his doctors personality on screen which is imho a disaster considering how in the Big Finish productions he is by far one of the most interesting and involving characterisations ever brought to the role of Doctor.

Saturday, April 22 2006 @ 09:47 AM EDT
    Tell you what...

While I don't mind there not being a multi-doctor story at the moment, I'd hate for him to close the door on that forever.

McCoy, Davison and Baker are still young enough to pull the part off, and of course so is McGann. The situation has to be right, but it could be done.

However, what I would love to see is Richard E. Grant brought in for a cameo as a mysterious time-traveler who we don't know yet is going to be a future Doctor.

I know RTD would probably scoff at the idea, though.

-M-

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, April 22 2006 @ 10:06 AM EDT
    Be careful - there might be someone from the Daily Mirror around. Before you know it you could be reading stories like:

WHO FANS SPLIT OVER FAT-HATER DAVIES

Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies has caused near civil war to erupt amongst Doctor Who fans across the world by banning old and fat actors from his show.

The controversial writer - who's previous scripts include the provocative Queer As Folk, the devisive religious drama Second Coming and the scorching comedy Casanova - has repeatedly stated he wants to see his show remain popular with people of all ages but his recent ban on allowing other Doctors to share in the show's popularity has led to speculation that Davies secretly harbours a hatred of old and fat people and anyone he hasn't worked with before.

Even guest stars who are popular with the fans, such as Elisabeth Sladen - who played Sarah Jane Smith - have had their appearances limited to just one show.

But among the outraged fans, there are some who approve of writer Davies's actions. One such fan, who prefers only to be known only as Cast Iron Leader, believes the actors only have themselves to blame:

"The majority of previous Doctors are now a lot lot older than when they played the part. Most of those remaining are also one or two more costume sizes bigger... So far as I am aware Tardis Fabric clothing hasn't been invented yet, even if they could just slim them down via computer graphics.

"As much as I respect them there is no way I want to see another multiple Doctors storyline because their age and physical state would distract from the show and reflect badly on those acting the series now."

And on the subject of bringing one of the more recent "younger" actors back Cast Iron Leader is adamant: "Paul McGann was a disaster."

A spokesperson from BBC Wales Drama laughed off any speculation of Davies' dislike of older fatties as "complete rubbish".

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 22 2006 @ 10:16 AM EDT
    >On the other hand - Paul McGann is a fantastic actor who,
    >apart from the movie, was never really given the oppertunity to develope
    >his doctors personality on screen which is imho a disaster considering
    >how in the Big Finish productions he is by far one of the most interesting
    >and involving characterisations ever brought to the role of Doctor.

I would love to see a *real* Doctor Who movie (not that I didn't like the TV movie… I mean a theatrical release, big budget, the whole works, etc.). I don't think that this will happen anytime soon, and probably for good reason. No need to jump the shark. Besides, didn't RTD just express his complete disinterest in making a Doctor Who movie, implying that the BBC would have to go over his head if they wanted one?

Anyway, a Doctor Who movie would be a great opportunity to revisit a past doctor (like McGann…). A reunion of several Doctors would probably be even worse onscreen that on TV. All TV to film transitions seem to acquire notching up the drama, violence, etc., and making the storyline darker. But "going back in time" would be easier to do in a separate, stand-alone film. And there is plenty of material. They could tell the story of the last great Time War. And it could star Paul McGann and Lalla Ward (OK, I can dream, can't I???). As long as they don't make it all too The Clone Wars prequel-y…

Unless there is a sea change, such a film probably wouldn't be a top-seller in US theaters, but couldn't you sell enough tickets on the British, Canadian, New Zealand, and Austrialian markets alone to justify the huge costs such a film would need to do the story justice? Smile Question

Sunday, April 23 2006 @ 10:15 AM EDT
    Given that the '3 Doctors', 'Five Doctors' and 'Two Doctors' have always been released on the anniversary of the show, then i'm willing to wait till 2013, giving them time to make a GREAT story for the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. And who knows if Tennant will still be on board, or will we have the 11th, 12th or even 13th Doctor by then?

They could even push to a digital animation production that can include the previously passed or aged incarnations?
    Or a Forrest Gump/DS9 kind of theme where the current Doctors visit past shows?

Anything's possible in the future right?

P.S. RTD doesnt own Doctor Who, the Beeb does, so i'm sure it's up tot hem where they want to steer the show?!

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 23 2006 @ 10:19 AM EDT
    Yes, the Doctor *would* have made a very good Dalek. That sent shivers up my spine… sort of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader or Galadriel and the One Ring. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored