The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sophie Aldred and Nicholas Pegg at the Close of Who at the Cavern II
    Sophie Aldred and Nicholas Pegg at the Close of Who at the Cavern II
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  "Five Doctors"-style return appeara..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    "Five Doctors"-style return appearances are off Views: 1946
     Sunday, April 23 2006 @ 11:33 AM EDT

The BBC may own the rights to the show but it is RTD that is steering the ship. I think at this point they would be very reluctant to try and make him do something he is completely against when it comes to the show. Mind you I would love to be a fly on the wall if something did happen and RTD suddenly has a "change of heart(s)" so to speak on it.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 08:27 PM EDT
    All may not be lost.

RTD has to walk a fine line betwixt a very successful current series and the expectations of the past. It may be that he is open to the idea if the right script comes along but doesn't want to be dogged by questions about reunions because it may haunt what is happenning now.

In these circumstances he is wise to keep his own council whilst keeping expectations down.

Contracts etc will have to be negociated with some difficult people. Can you imagine trying to get Tom Baker back? Imagine trying to lure him after an unwise statement after a year (or more)of being constantly asked by the press "When is it going to happen?."

If Rtd is even thinking about it then surprise will be the element he relies upon. Try this for a scenario: The initial shine has worn off the series and RTD suddendly announces the the new series will have a multiple doctor episode. As good as a relaunch if you ask me and keeps Joe Public thinking about Doctor Who. I suggest that it might even be more suitable for Torchwood as Doctor Who is "family" But Torchwood is "Adult" and it is the adults who will remember the previous doctors.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 08:43 PM EDT

Well if a multiple Doctor special was to come up again... especially if it was to coincide with the 50th anniversary in 2013... it is doubtful that Tom Baker would be able to play the same Doctor we know and love that we saw on our screens initially between 1975-1981. It would have to be basically limited to the current Doctor (which may or may not be David Tennant at that time), David Tennant if he is not the current Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and Paul McGann... perhaps even Sylvester McCoy, but even that might be doubtful at that time. Everyone else would probably be well beyond in their appearances of what they looked like prior to their regeneration.

Sure in The Five Doctors both Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee were a bit obviously older than there were before they regenerated... but it was still passable.. Even The Two Doctors may have been pushing it a bit... but it still managed to work.

Tom Baker is in his 70's now, as hard as it is to believe. Unless he plays the Doctor that we saw in The Leisure Hive, it will be hard to believe that he is that earlier Doctor.

Perhaps these actors can all come back for a story playing different roles somehow. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I love them all and would love to see all of them reprise their roles... but since these particular Doctors regenerated prior to "looking older" it will be difficult to accept they are coming from an earlier timeline of the Doctor's past. Now perhaps they are from some sort of alternate reality where they did not regenerate when they did... or something along those lines.

Anyway, it is fun to think about. Whether it ever happens... Well, only time will tell. I do believe it is doubtful that it will any time soon though.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 08:49 PM EDT
    Don't take my comments too literally. I used TB as an example but the last doctor has expressed typecasting reservations. Apply the scenario to him.

I was trying to draw mental pictures of the difficulties rather than paint masterpeices.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 08:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Tom Baker is in his 70's now, as hard as it is to believe. Unless he plays the Doctor that we saw in The Leisure Hive, it will be hard to believe that he is that earlier Doctor.

I think it would be easy for Tom Baker to play the Doctor that we saw in The Leisure Hive. He wouldn't even need much in the way of make-up... remember, he spent most of that story aged... Twisted Evil

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, April 25 2006 @ 10:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Tom Baker is in his 70's now, as hard as it is to believe. Unless he plays the Doctor that we saw in The Leisure Hive, it will be hard to believe that he is that earlier Doctor.

I think it would be easy for Tom Baker to play the Doctor that we saw in The Leisure Hive. He wouldn't even need much in the way of make-up... remember, he spent most of that story aged... Twisted Evil

Taras

Exactly, that is why I said that.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, May 01 2006 @ 06:49 PM EDT
    I would much rather they do a mini-series or movie dealing with the missing gap between Enemy Within and Rose. Knowing RTD, if they did do a reunion, they would have Rose walking into the wrong Tardis and doing an adventure with a pervious doctor.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 01 2006 @ 07:17 PM EDT

Taras

Hang guys - haven't any of you seen the TV adverts with 'dead actors or singers? - or the new Sinatra stage show?

If we are talking 2013 the CGI boys that can give us werewolves and aliens now will be able to give us CGI doctors - especially if the actors are fit enough (and willing) to do the voices.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, May 02 2006 @ 10:35 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

Taras

Hang guys - haven't any of you seen the TV adverts with 'dead actors or singers? - or the new Sinatra stage show?

If we are talking 2013 the CGI boys that can give us werewolves and aliens now will be able to give us CGI doctors - especially if the actors are fit enough (and willing) to do the voices.

Cheers, daveac

& then we'd have to worry about the estates of said dead actors & getting legal right to the images.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 02 2006 @ 11:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]

& then we'd have to worry about the estates of said dead actors & getting legal right to the images.

Two possible answers to that

1. The BBC already owns the 'Doctor' personas

2. Surely paying any 'family estate fees' would be any larger than if you were paying the actor himself?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, May 03 2006 @ 06:24 PM EDT
    Just had an idea -- how about an episode done ala Deep Space Nine's Trials and Tribblations? Insert the current Doctor and pal(s) into and around an old episode's plot...

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 03 2006 @ 06:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  That Neil Guy] Just had an idea -- how about an episode done ala Deep Space Nine's Trials and Tribblations? Insert the current Doctor and pal(s) into and around an old episode's plot...

I think The Eight Doctors novel by Terrence Dicks does this...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, May 04 2006 @ 03:30 AM EDT
    I love nostalgia & bringing back SJS made me cry, it was so well done Oops! but now wouldn't be the right time to introduce any more Doctors to the new audience.

Let's face it, the kids (including my own 9 year old, as she was then) had to cope with Chris leaving & David starting out & I really wouldn't want anything else thrown into the mix for now, it'd be too much for most kids to absorb. David is fab & deserves to continue for a couple more years, unhindered by past Doctors.

But yeah, an anniversary or something or maybe 5 years into the new series... I'd love to see Peter, Colin, Sylv, Tom up there - not sure if I count Paul as a "real" Doctor, but that's just me Twisted Evil

Karen x

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed