The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshockers meet John Levene (Sgt Benton)
    Podshockers meet John Levene (Sgt Benton)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Love and Monsters
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Love and Monsters Views: 13703
     Monday, June 19 2006 @ 04:10 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] I am not sure about this, but I get the feeling that the opinions about Love and Monsters are dividing along Nationalistic lines. i.e. the British (like me) enjoyed it and the American's didn't.

Other opinions may fall along Commonwealth lines (I know Sean Huxter is Canadian). What about Antipodeans and other ex-members of the Empire?
    It's hard to tell as it is hard to tell people's Nationality from there current location.

Anyway, this episode appeals to the quirky British sense of fun/humour, debate and discuss!

I'm not sure I would agree with you on this, simply because I'm as big a fan of British comedy as I am of Doctor Who. I don't even bother to watch American sitcoms.

If I'm not watching Doctor Who or some other horror or sci-fi program, I'm usually watching Monty Python, The Young Ones, Chef, The Vicar of Dibly, Little Britain, The Office, The League of Gentlemen, Are You Being Served, Open All Hours, and the list goes on.

Anyway, I don't really think this boils down to cultural differences, at least not in my case.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 08:28 PM EDT

Is it just me, or does the 17" Mac Powerbook G4 seen in the preview for Love & Monsters look like it is running MS Windows? Egads! Eek!

Looks like someone is watching a new episode of Doctor Who by "other means" in this story Twisted Evil

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 08:38 PM EDT
    More to the point how did they get it to watch?

Perhaps it's the Doctor did a quick flit forward to see how it ends so he can look good when it airs Big Grin

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 08:55 PM EDT
    Nope!

Don't look like windows unless it's vista

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Monday, June 12 2006 @ 11:58 PM EDT
    They're using bootcamp?

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 01:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] They're using bootcamp?

That was my first thought at first too until I realized it was a PowerBook G4... whereas BootCamp only runs on the newer MacBook Pro systems since they use the Intel Core-Duo processor. The PowerBook G4 is running the PowerPC G4 processor which is not compatible with BootCamp.

I suppose it could be Virtual PC being run on it though.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 07:49 AM EDT
    Well, we know what the story's gonna be know. The Doctor is going to show up, realize that Apple and Windows have merged, realize it means the end of the universe is imminent, then go back in time to stop it!!!

Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Mr. Green

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 08:15 AM EDT

It could just be a full screen video...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 09:51 AM EDT
    I get the impression that the person watching the screen on the Tardisode is a "monster." Theres the bit about "primitive" internet page. So maybe the computer is alien of some kind? Seems a much safer argument than starting on Mac OS vs. Windows.....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 04:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] They're using bootcamp?

Bootcamp hadn't been released, even as a alpha, when Love and Monsters was in production.

Personal opinion - I think the screen was mat'ed in during post production. If you watch a few of the Confidentials then you can see they occasionally have some computer screens running XP and I think I saw one running Red Hatonce, but if the screens appear in shot in the show then they are always mat'ed over with what they want us to see sooner than something which looks like it was designed by Fisher Price.

You are rogue elements... You are incompatible... You will be... Deleted!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 07:36 PM EDT

Yeah, I just assumed it was blunder in post production which is all so often the case when it comes to tech stuff in both television and movies... They just assume no one would be the wiser (the viewing masses that it is)... It is either the wrong OS or some silly made up OS or a generic thing so that they are not seen as 'endorsing' one...

But we are.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 07:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I get the impression that the person watching the screen on the Tardisode is a "monster." Theres the bit about "primitive" internet page. So maybe the computer is alien of some kind? Seems a much safer argument than starting on Mac OS vs. Windows.....

The computer is a SONY VAIO laptop... which would run Windows, not MAC OS.

Sean.

(edit) - Uh, right... I thought we were talking about the TARDISODE... that's a VAIO. In the preview, it isn't... sorry... as you were...

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, June 13 2006 @ 08:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I get the impression that the person watching the screen on the Tardisode is a "monster." Theres the bit about "primitive" internet page. So maybe the computer is alien of some kind? Seems a much safer argument than starting on Mac OS vs. Windows.....

The computer is a SONY VAIO laptop... which would run Windows, not MAC OS.

Sean.

(edit) - Uh, right... I thought we were talking about the TARDISODE... that's a VAIO. In the preview, it isn't... sorry... as you were...

I haven't seen the TARDISode yet... in fact, I am far behind in my TARDISode viewing... (the last one I saw was for Rise of the Cybermen, I need to catch up).

In the trailer preview, it is a 17" Mac PowerBook G4... I recognized it immediately since I own one as well. Big Grin

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, June 14 2006 @ 08:59 AM EDT
    This is why I love being on this message board. We take a BRIEF trailer on an upcoming, much beloved show, and focus in on a piece of prop. AND then spend a thread discussing what that prop was.

No one else in my circle of friends gets this.

Ya'll rock. (love to say it in Sycoraxic, but I don't have the VAIO from UNIT to translate for me)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 14 2006 @ 01:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Is it just me, or does the 17" Mac Powerbook G4 seen in the preview for Love & Monsters look like it is running MS Windows? Egads! Eek!

Evidently the episode is set in the alternate universe again...erm some time prior to Rise of the Cybermen since Jackie is ok....and obviously before Peter got rich....er....yeah, that's it!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored