The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    A Vervoid
    A Vervoid
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Love and Monsters
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Love and Monsters Views: 13815
     Tuesday, February 06 2007 @ 07:54 AM EST
    Thanks for posting that link, Darth. It was a good read.

I posted a comment, which read:

Great essay on "Love and Monsters".

Most people don't see this, but if you take everything you see on Elton's web cam at face value, but anything else as a fantasy within his own mind, twisted by his childhood history and his recent experiences, you find that we have a very disturbed character, with serious delusions.

We can't take anything that he narrates at face value. It's all colored by his mental instability. We CAN take at face value only the footage from his web cam.

So at the end when we see the paving slab, we only see Ursula's face as a cut-away from the web-cam, in other words, we're seeing only what Elton is seeing with his twisted (some say completely broken) mind. The web cam is NEVER shown her face.

I think the show would have been even better (and that's difficult) only if the web cam had caught a tiny, tiny glimpse of the face of the slab, and what was there was a brief glimpse of a chalk drawing of a face with glasses.

The entire point of the story would have been more obvious then, and while that would be applying the metaphorical sledgehammer, a lot of fans of this show apparently needed that sledgehammer to get the point of this episode.

Marlowe

That's no dig at you, Louis, as I know your reasons for not liking it, and they are, unlike the knee-jerk general over-reaction by fans to the show, well thought-out.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, February 06 2007 @ 07:53 PM EST
    What facinates me the most is that, while not loved by many. The levels of dislike on this one have kept this the highest posted itme on the forums. This is post 136 for "Love and Monsters" in this thread. I personally liked it more than "The Idiot's Lantern" mainly beacuse the pacing in lantern seemed bad to me. The storys need to move at a pace that allows for the fact that these are 45 min episodes. Lantern seemed very rushed and didn't work as well as L&M for me. Must admit that it has at least caused a lot of discussion.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, June 20 2007 @ 03:53 PM EDT

Well, just to tease Merlin, and to mention that we had the first direct reference to Mister Saxon in this episode.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, June 20 2007 @ 04:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] What facinates me the most is that, while not loved by many. The levels of dislike on this one have kept this the highest posted itme on the forums. This is post 136 for "Love and Monsters" in this thread. I personally liked it more than "The Idiot's Lantern" mainly beacuse the pacing in lantern seemed bad to me. The storys need to move at a pace that allows for the fact that these are 45 min episodes. Lantern seemed very rushed and didn't work as well as L&M for me. Must admit that it has at least caused a lot of discussion.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

That's the thing, it *is* loved by many. It also happens to be hate by many. It's a misconception to think that the episode is an unpopular one. In the DWM survey of the 2006 series they said that L&M received as many first place votes as last place ones.

Over at doctorwhoblog.com the episode generated the most discussion of any episode of the series when it was aired by CBC.

Love & Monsters is divisive, not unpopular and that makes for good discussion.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 31 2008 @ 09:37 AM EDT
    Time to bring this thread back from the dead.

Well, having become more involved in fandom over the last few years, rather than just being a fan, for some reason I felt compelled to try watching this again:-

[Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    It would not surprise me at all if people who initially disliked this episode later discover that, actually, it's Just short of brilliant.

Darth said this right after the episode was originally aired and... he was spot on! I hated this episode originally but on rewatching, some time after the original event, I now get it. Not only that, but I actually enjoyed it.

I'd urge all of the original 'haters' (even you Louis) to rewatch this episode through a fresh set of eyes and with an open mind.

Given that this a such a polarising episode in fandom maybe it should be the subject on a live Podcast in it's own right... Hell, even I'd try to dial in to this.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 31 2008 @ 10:29 AM EDT
    I just cant do Love and Monsters.

I can see what its trying to do. I was prepared to love it but I just cant. There are some great actors in it.. parts of it are very good. SMALL parts. I adore ELO and the music is used wonderfuly. BUT Peter Kay is AWFUL. The Monster is just....

see ive lost the will to go on.

its all so very wrong...

Oh and what was that about british comedy? I didnt laugh once. I did sob.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Thursday, July 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM EDT
    I'm in the pro camp, I have to say. When I first watched it, there was just one aspect that I didn't like and that was simply down to the fact that the Doctor wasn't in it. And let's face it, that's really why we love the programme isn't it. If they made a series called Elton, many of us would prbably soon lose interest and well, we wouldn't love it, would we? But, having said that, it was just one episode and it was one episode that tried to be different. And for that, often I will forgive a lot.
    It was sort of post-modern, which appeals to my tastes and a reflection of how so many diverse people can come together in the name of the Doctor. I liked Elton, at least what we saw in forty odd minutes and he showed us the part of the Doctor that RTD has been very interested in investigating over the last four years - the pain and destruction that exist in his wake. Even if it is all done for the right reasons, still many people seem to suffer when their paths cross the Doctor's. The road to Hell indeed...
    I liked the humour and the very British almost carry onfeel to it. It is an episode that tries to flesh out the universe in which the Doctor exists - make it more three-dimensional, give it a life of its own.
    Yeah, it sort of worked for me and I've seen it a few times since it was last broadcast. It wasn't the best episode or even the best doctor-lite episode. But at least it wasn't boring.
    Need I mention Fear Her. Oooh, don't get me started. Now there's an episode that really does deserve its criticism in my opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 31 2008 @ 12:41 PM EDT
    Also, I'm not really sure where this conviction that Ursula's face on the slab is not real comes from when nobody questions another character absorbed into Peter Kaye's backside!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, July 31 2008 @ 07:19 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] Also, I'm not really sure where this conviction that Ursula's face on the slab is not real comes from when nobody questions another character absorbed into Peter Kaye's backside!

But if the slab had shown a 'chalked face' then everything else could have been taken as a 'miss-guided fans' take on 'Dr Who'

So yes - 'almost great' applies from my point of view.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, July 31 2008 @ 07:42 PM EDT
    To my man D-Skep.

Just watched it again, bit and pieces okay but as a whole still comes up short in comparison to Blink and Turn Left.

It's like a supreme pizza, like the crust and the sausage and cheese but I'm picking off the black olives, peppers and onions and tossing them aside.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 08:38 AM EDT
    I loved it. It's one of my favorite nuwave Who episodes. It compares well to the Torchwood Light episode (I forget the name) where the chap dies but hangs around like a ghost, trying to work out what happened. It's all seen through new character eyes.

LINDA was mentioned in the recent Comic Relief two doctors sketch.

I would love to see Elton pull LINDA back together (with different characters, obviously, since an alien's bum is hard to act long term...). Then we can have a return of LINDA in an episode. Bring Back LINDA!

-- BongMong :)~
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 01:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] But if the slab had shown a 'chalked face' then everything else could have been taken as a 'miss-guided fans' take on 'Dr Who'

I know what you're saying Dave. But for me that would fall into the "...and everything was a dream" cop-out that we have never had in Doctor Who. I was happy to accept the event as real within the universe that they occur.
    Having said that, this need for many to have this 'way out' of the story to make it acceptable does mean that for many it was misjudged. Just not for me...

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 03 2008 @ 01:56 PM EDT
    For anyone still looking for the song well I have an mp3 link for you!

Electric Light Orchestra - Mister Blue Sky MP3

It's also on ELO's Greatest Hits CD.

Enjoy! Big Grin Smile Laughing Out Loud Mr. Green

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 03 2008 @ 05:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast]

"coming this summer.......

i married a peace of concrete!

there love defied logic!"

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 04 2008 @ 05:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom]
    [Quote  by:  daveac] But if the slab had shown a 'chalked face' then everything else could have been taken as a 'miss-guided fans' take on 'Dr Who'

I know what you're saying Dave. But for me that would fall into the "...and everything was a dream" cop-out that we have never had in Doctor Who.
    Apparently, you were lucky enough to have missed the whole of Season 23. The Trial of a Time Lord was largely a dream. The problem is, though, we don't know which parts were real and which the creations of the Valeyard.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored