The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Supanova Dr Who cosplay 2
    Supanova Dr Who cosplay 2
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Love and Monsters
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Love and Monsters Views: 13721
     Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 02:04 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] But then you could argue that this is just part of Elton's recollections.

< snip >

And what was the Doctor thinking with that anyway? "Oh yes, I'll resurrect your dead girlfriend as a paving slab because that's so much better than death, isn't it?" Eek!

Since it is from Elton's recollections, then the memory of this part, just like the Scooby Doo corridor sequence, could be coloured by Elton's perspective. Maybe he just picked up a paving stone and drew Ursula's face on it, and just pictures her talking back to him...

then again, him mentioning a "love life", hmmmmm... I'll stop now.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 02:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]
    [Quote  by:  taff1a] It was, as someone else said in this thread, a bit of whimsy, but still the best thing on British tv this week.

Better then the Italy vs USA match last night?
    Now THAT was drama!

No, that was a tragedy of poor refereeing...

But this episode clobbered football by 2:1 in viewers. I assume most were at the pub watching the football, or not watching it, as the case may be.

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 04:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Eek! I am surprised by how many people have expressed how much they liked this episode. I wish I could, but I can't.

I am with you. What a disaster! I think this is hands-down the worst episode of new Who so far. Even the would-be poignant parts (i.e. Jackie's reflections on being left behind) are tired and played out.

--Joe

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 04:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]

To say it's not Doctor Who is rather akin to saying "Life Time"—the episode which features the 4077th from the perspective of a single patient who's got exactly the length of an episode to receive adequate medical care—ain't an episode of M*A*S*H*.

I like the concept as well, and such a shift in perspective can be pulled off quite successfully. It was just done horribly here. ELO was the only redeeming thing about this episode. Well, that and the TARDIS in ancient hieroglyphs. But again, what was an interesting premise turned to a nonsensical, tedious waste of my time.

--Joe

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 05:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Eek! I am surprised by how many people have expressed how much they liked this episode. I wish I could, but I can't.

I am with you. What a disaster! I think this is hands-down the worst episode of new Who so far. Even the would-be poignant parts (i.e. Jackie's reflections on being left behind) are tired and played out.

--Joe

and I'm with both of you. I enjoyed the whimsy when it first started (is that word overused? whimsy?), but then it just became kind of surreal. You guys formed a band? huh? Now your girlfriend is a concrete block? and you still have a sex life? How the heck did censors let THAT go? sakes! Sigh....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 06:25 PM EDT

Well, this episode succeeded. It's got people talking Who during the "summer". Whether you loved, liked, disliked, or loathed the episode...

Actually, this episode may be a "warning" to fans to keep their fandom fun, and not turn it into a serious obsession. A healthy obsession is fine, but it sould be fun, not work.

Now, your assignments for next week are...

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 08:04 PM EDT

Breaking away from the format was not even my biggest issue with this episode... I could have accepted it, even if I may not have liked it. Though I feel this would have worked better as a one-off special type of thing and not a regular episode part of the series. My biggest disappointment is that it is a purely a cartoon... it doesn't have a shred of science in it. It is pure fantasy... The humour and cartoon fun is acceptable in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (HHGTG), I applaud it and I listen to the radio series of HHGTG constantly, I love Douglas Adams... but that is intelligent humour. I can accept a babel fish in HHGTG... but I can not accept a concrete block as your girlfriend in Doctor Who... it is rubbish. I can suspend my disbelief for characters like Cassandra... speaking with a mouth even though she has no lungs... but this (the concrete block and the rest of the cartoonish concepts) just goes too far for Doctor Who... I can welcome it in HHGTG... the dish of the day talking, but I have different expectations with Doctor Who.

I know that Doctor Who is not SCIENCE fiction... but I had still considered it science fiction/fantasy... this is purely cartoon FANTASY.

I don't have a problem with a light hearted fun episode now and then... Star Trek did it now and then as well. One of the most popular episodes is The Trouble with the Tribbles.... even though it was a bit light hearted, it was still believable. I know, I know, Doctor Who is not Star Trek, I agree... but still there has to he some level of intelligence given to the characters and stories to make them believable on some level. The fart jokes worked in Aliens of London because there was a believable plausible explanation for it. It may not have been high science, but it was enough to get by with on the show like Doctor Who...

No, I am not calling for the resignation of RTD... or anything like that. That may be a bit silly. I am very disappointed with this story. I still loved the two previous episodes prior to this... I am not too sure about the next episode with what I saw of the coming attraction. I have to say I am bit skeptical now, but I will give it a fair chance.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 09:40 PM EDT
    Wow! That was bad! I don't think I've ever uttered those words in regard to a Doctor Who episode in 25 years, with the possible exception of Delta and the Bannermen.

I'm not really even sure what RTD wanted to accomplish with the episode. My brain hurts.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 11:03 PM EDT

To all those who think this is the worst episode of Who ever, fire up those VCRs and watch The Twin Dilemma; I dare ya!!!

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 11:08 PM EDT
    Yep, I remember The Twin Dilemma. Still don't get the same sense of bad out of that one.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Sunday, June 18 2006 @ 11:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    To all those who think this is the worst episode of Who ever, fire up those VCRs and watch The Twin Dilemma; I dare ya!!!

Just watched it last week. Yeah, Love and Monsters was worse. Don't know about worse ever. That would have to go to a 7th Doc episode (Paradise Towers ranks pretty low). This was definitely the worst of the RTD era.

--Joe

Monday, June 19 2006 @ 04:16 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

You evil man. Watched that a few weeks ago, and I still feel dirty and abused!
    It looks like opinion is going to be firmly divided over this one. I think it was great, a bit of fun, and it was certainly Doctor Who. Arise Lord Davies of Gallifrey!

Excallibur? Blizard? ...Bikini Cops?
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 19 2006 @ 07:53 AM EDT
    Wow. I don't get the hayt for "The Twin Dilemma". I watched it just this past week and while I'm never a fan of Colin Baker, and I saw at least two moments where both Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant needed a good slap in the face to tell them "stop hamming and start acting", but I don't get why it's such a hated episode.

I mean it doesn't come close to the awfulness in "The Happiness Patrol", which I admit I only saw once, and in the late 1980s, or very early 1990s, but it has stuck with me as just awful awful awful... so much so that it was years before I could eat another Licorice All-Sort.

Without anger, ire, or exaggeration, can someone point out what makes "Twin Dilemma" the pariah it has become in some circles?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, June 19 2006 @ 08:55 AM EDT

Well, the titular twins seeming lack of acting ability was the equivalent of having two Adrics on screen at the same time. Didn't they learn their lesson the first go!?!

Monday, June 19 2006 @ 09:46 AM EDT
    Well, that never stopped the Olsen Twins from appearing on TV... for a decade or more.

The twins were mostly deadpan, and for that they did ok. There have been far worse examples of bad acting in the old series that no one seems to hate as much as Twin Dilemma.

Was there anything to the story itself that bothered people this much, as to make it one of the most hated episodes?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored