The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    DALEK!!
    DALEK!!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Love and Monsters
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Love and Monsters Views: 13837
     Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 06:55 AM EDT
    Hope don't get frowned upon for this.
    Elton - played by actor who was in 'Hustle' which was recently on tv in America on Saturday nights.
    Bridget - played by actress who played Sgt Eric Cryer's daughter and was the civilian front office person(probably not correct term ! Smile) at Sun Hill Police station in 'The Bill'.

Shen

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 11:41 AM EDT
    I watched the ep again on Monday night. I still love the humor and "offbeat" attitude of the first part. It's all good.

But then Peter Kay's character takes over so completely, and that's when I lose interest. The humor level dropped significantly at the same time. The pacing and "feel" of the camera work stayed the same, but to me it was like the first and second part were written by two different people.

And then, I started to cynically think: this episode reminds me of The Love Boat (don't kill me -- wait for my point! really!). Let's take a story loosely associated with a core group of actors and then find some STELLAR actors who want to be part of the action briefly and let them romp through the episode: Kay, Warren, Henderson.... It just seemed to me like such a waste of the actors talents in the end.

Kay was hilarious as the Northern Absorbaloff, Warren playing a "milquetoasty" dude (sort of reminded me of his role as Blythe in Band of Brothers, but completely opposite of his role in Hooligans) was quite good, and Henderson so quiet and unassuming until she "fights back." Warren and her together as a cute love story -- up until the Doctor employed the sonic screwdriver... sigh....

I think what was really wrong w/ the episode for me is that I did not play the Podcast drinking game before watching it. That could have made ALL the difference!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 11:45 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Remember, Torchwood was tasked with dealing with the 10th Doctor. They are laying low until he makes an appearance.

Is this so? It seems that Queen Victoria tasked it with protecting the earth/empire from all extraterrestrial interlopers. That is why the PM blasted the retreating Christmas invaders out of the sky, and why (I assume) the Torchwood series will not be centered around the Doctor.

There would still be a lot of info on the Doctor out there, in any case, even after Mickey released the "virus" (if he really indeed did do so). Hard copies, non-networked computers, Macintosh computers that have Gallifreyan-level security Wink , etc. Records of the Doctor certainly haven't been erased from existence, and I would like to see this theme of "Doctor sightings" being explored, incorporating more than just the present incarnation. All of his regenerations have made significant marks on the history of the planet, and groups like LINDA are very plausible, even if the rest of the story was plain silly.

--Joe!

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 12:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Remember, Torchwood was tasked with dealing with the 10th Doctor. They are laying low until he makes an appearance.

Is this so? It seems that Queen Victoria tasked it with protecting the earth/empire from all extraterrestrial interlopers. That is why the PM blasted the retreating Christmas invaders out of the sky, and why (I assume) the Torchwood series will not be centered around the Doctor.

There would still be a lot of info on the Doctor out there, in any case, even after Mickey released the "virus" (if he really indeed did do so). Hard copies, non-networked computers, Macintosh computers that have Gallifreyan-level security Wink , etc. Records of the Doctor certainly haven't been erased from existence, and I would like to see this theme of "Doctor sightings" being explored, incorporating more than just the present incarnation. All of his regenerations have made significant marks on the history of the planet, and groups like LINDA are very plausible, even if the rest of the story was plain silly.

--Joe!

Of course that was not its main charter, but a minor focus... The Queen was not amused with the Doctor's and Rose's antics.

I can see a potential for a feud between Torchwood and UNIT...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 01:48 PM EDT
    wot was the music elton was dancing to when he was happy Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 02:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  ellingcheese] wot was the music elton was dancing to when he was happy Mr. Green

"Mister Blue Sky" by ELO...

I love the song, I just hope when I listen to it again, it doesn't bring back memories of this episode. Cry

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 04:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  TeaTimeLord] Why was this episode bad?

I tune in to see a smart show with some sci/fi adventure, revolving around time and space travel. This had none of those elements, a person remembering events from his past, and noticing someone who “hasn’t changed a bit” does not count as time travel in my book.

So many lost opportunities.

Does anyone think it would have been better if they crossed paths with people following the Doctor in his other incarnation? Maybe the doctor could have saved them from the alien in a way only he could, and turn them from thinking he is the one causing the trouble, to thinking he is the one saving them from trouble. He could then maybe have a small group of humans he could count on for help, they could rotate into the series, and he could stop over for tea on one of his many visits to Earth.

I thought this was a great episode. What a change of pace and very refreshing. In this day and time of countless more "sci-fi" type shows, WHO goes out of it's way to be different. Of course that can only go so far and it sets the bar high to try and "top" itself each time. I think a good mix of straightforward shows with an occasional "unusal" or different paced show works best.

I think it would have been neat to see LINDA discuss pix or encounters with the other incarnations and try to figure out, is this the same guy, etc. I do like the idea of the Doctor being represented in a lot of earths myyhology through the ages...

Also, (tounge-in-cheek) the perfect Rose replacement has to be Urusula!!!! Imagine, the Doctor coult just hand her on the consul...no more of that "wandering" off business... a pocket companion! Think of the merchandising posibilities!!!!

Scott aka target242

"...edible ball bearings...genius!"

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 06:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

My biggest disappointment is that it is a purely a cartoon... it doesn't have a shred of science in it. It is pure fantasy... The humour and cartoon fun is acceptable in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (HHGTG), I applaud it and I listen to the radio series of HHGTG constantly, I love Douglas Adams... but that is intelligent humour. I can accept a babel fish in HHGTG... but I can not accept a concrete block as your girlfriend in Doctor Who... it is rubbish. I can suspend my disbelief for characters like Cassandra... speaking with a mouth even though she has no lungs... but this (the concrete block and the rest of the cartoonish concepts) just goes too far for Doctor Who... I can welcome it in HHGTG... the dish of the day talking, but I have different expectations with Doctor Who.

I didn’t really like the Ursula bit either. In The Age Of Steel, the Doctor was willing to kill everyone who had been turned into a Cyberman rather than let them exist in such a horrible state, and considers it merciful. In Love & Monsters, his mercy condemns a woman to eternity as a face sticking out of a paving slab. This sort of inconsistency with a character’s actions drives me crazy and they have done a terrible job with it this season. One week Rose is pissed Mickey is joining the TARDIS crew; the next week she is all smiles. Mickey leaves she is upset, the next week and its like she has completely forgotten he ever existed. Are the Doctor and Rose supposed to be bi-polar?

I know that Doctor Who is not SCIENCE fiction... but I had still considered it science fiction/fantasy... this is purely cartoon FANTASY.

I tend to be very forgiving of it for things that are clearly ridiculous like the overuse of the sonic screwdriver. As long as it tells interesting and new stories about the human condition I am happy.

No, I am not calling for the resignation of RTD... or anything like that. That may be a bit silly. I am very disappointed with this story. I still loved the two previous episodes prior to this... I am not too sure about the next episode with what I saw of the coming attraction. I have to say I am bit skeptical now, but I will give it a fair chance.

Genesis of the Daleks came out on DVD a few weeks back. Mr. Green So you can grab a copy of that and get your fill of some Tom Baker goodness. Liz Sladen makes a reference to the new series in the commentary BTW.

Sorry to hear you didn’t like the ep. Think of it as the calm before the storm. In two weeks we will all probably be crying out eyes out. Or not…

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 09:05 PM EDT
    Faces!

The current series seems to be face obsessed.

a) Face in Paving stone
    b) Faces on various anotomical areas including buttock
    c) Face painted with daemonic symbols
    d) Subliminal devils faces appearing behind people
    e) Face removal by tele-suction
    f) Removed faces on televisions
    g) Evil entity who appears as a face on television
    h) Hero/wet git with identical faces (looking each other in the eye)
    i) masked faces falling off faceless clockwork robots
    j) smashed clock face (okay doesn't really count)
    k) lifelike cat faces (doesn't really count either)
    l) Stretched face in metal frame
    m) Disembodied face in tank

Any more instances? is this thematically building up to the Face of Bo and his great revelations? Is this the "Bad Face" season? Or is it blank faces or faces in places they should not be are disturbing and are just being overdone for easy scares?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 11:30 PM EDT

"Talk to the Face"

"Head full of Face"

Twisted Evil

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 12:18 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  *]
    I didn’t really like the Ursula bit either. In The Age Of Steel, the Doctor was willing to kill everyone who had been turned into a Cyberman rather than let them exist in such a horrible state, and considers it merciful. In Love & Monsters, his mercy condemns a woman to eternity as a face sticking out of a paving slab. This sort of inconsistency with a character’s actions drives me crazy and they have done a terrible job with it this season. One week Rose is pissed Mickey is joining the TARDIS crew; the next week she is all smiles. Mickey leaves she is upset, the next week and its like she has completely forgotten he ever existed. Are the Doctor and Rose supposed to be bi-polar?

I would have to say that the whole bi-polar thing has also been bothering me this season, but I had a hard time putting it into words for the forum.

The way I've been excusing it in my own mind is by imagining that large periods of time, that we don't see on the screen, have elapsed between these "recorded" adventures.

If I didn't have that excuse to hang on to, I'd probably be thinking that its time for The Doctor and Rose to visit a free clinic on New Earth for some mood stabilzers.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 08:09 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  *] This seemed to be the Doctor Who version of “Jose Chung’s From Outer Space” in how it examined the main characters from other people’s eyes.

I'll be posting my thoughts more later, but wanted to say you nailed it with the Jose Chung reference. My wife compared it to a Lone Gunmen ep of the X-Files, but I think Jose Chung is better.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 08:39 AM EDT
    I've had a bit of a theory about Ursula, and upon re-watching, it bears out.

Now we all know that everything Elton says is his painted perception of things - the Scooby Doo chanse, the Absorbaloff's Northern Accent, just about everything.

The only thing we know for absoultely certain is what we see on Elton's camera. Only those shots with the frame edges, indicating it's being shot from Elton's camera - are real. Everything else is suspect - and most likely a figment of a very broken mind.

I rewatched the segment where he brings out Ursula, the pavement slab.

His camera never sees her face. He doesn't turn it towards the camera. When we see her face talking to Elton, it's a cut-away, which is just Elton's imagination of events.

Ursula could be a chalk drawing on the slab for all we know. We never see her. And what we hear could simply be a figment of Elton's imagination too... a voice in his head.

So those who claim that it is completely out of character for the Doctor to save Ursula in that state - as opposed to killing those converted Cyberhumans rather than allow them to live on in that state - you're right.

He didn't save Ursula.

Ursula is dead and living on in the imagination of Elton as a chalk drawing on the slab.

In a true horror story, we would see a lot of interaction with the slab, and only in the last shot would it be revealed that she was really just a chalk drawing, or a crude carving made out of the stone.

Watch it again... just the last minute or so... you'll see it all fits.

This may be a far more twisted episode than it appears on its... er... face.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 11:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] .
    I've had a bit of a theory about Ursula, and upon re-watching, it bears out.

I rewatched the segment where he brings out Ursula, the pavement slab.

His camera never sees her face. He doesn't turn it towards the camera. When we see her face talking to Elton, it's a cut-away, which is just Elton's imagination of events.

Ursula could be a chalk drawing on the slab for all we know. We never see her. And what we hear could simply be a figment of Elton's imagination too... a voice in his head.

In a true horror story, we would see a lot of interaction with the slab, and only in the last shot would it be revealed that she was really just a chalk drawing, or a crude carving made out of the stone.

Whilst all of this could be true, I suspect the other side of the paving stone was pointed away to keep the special effects budget down. a) minimize the number of shots required to be done by the mill. b) make it an easy clean shot (the camera shots from Elton's camera all exhibited a wide lens distortion which would add a degree of extra difficulty tothe effect. c) increase the shock value of seeing her face on the slab (at least it wasn't her buttock).

Why was it the victims faces which appeared on the Absorbaloff's body and not other bodily parts?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 11:03 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] Faces!

The current series seems to be face obsessed.

a) Face in Paving stone
    b) Faces on various anotomical areas including buttock
    c) Face painted with daemonic symbols
    d) Subliminal devils faces appearing behind people
    e) Face removal by tele-suction
    f) Removed faces on televisions
    g) Evil entity who appears as a face on television
    h) Hero/wet git with identical faces (looking each other in the eye)
    i) masked faces falling off faceless clockwork robots
    j) smashed clock face (okay doesn't really count)
    k) lifelike cat faces (doesn't really count either)
    l) Stretched face in metal frame
    m) Disembodied face in tank

Any more instances? is this thematically building up to the Face of Bo and his great revelations? Is this the "Bad Face" season? Or is it blank faces or faces in places they should not be are disturbing and are just being overdone for easy scares?

And does this all lead back to The Face of Boe sharing his final secret with the Lonely Traveler?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed