The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Glasgow TARDIS
    Glasgow TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Love and Monsters
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Love and Monsters Views: 13954
     Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 11:09 AM EDT
    I was fully expecting this episode to be really terrible. I saw a few posts in various locations saying how bad it was. Maybe, in a sort-of reverse hype-syndrome, I was building it up in my mind to be worse than it was. I found myself really enjoying it. Granted, it's not a stellar episode but it was far from the worst Doctor Who episode ever made. I really enjoyed seeing Jackie again. She can call me anytime she needs something done around the house. If and when Rose gives up the life of a companion, I'll really miss the periodic episodes with Jackie. Mickey grew on me, but I always liked Jackie from episode one. Various lines in the show really cracked me up. I love that the twin planet to Raxacoricofallapatorious is named Klom (sp?), although I still don't get why they thought the Absorbalox thing was related to the Raxacoricofallapatorians. The only thing I really didn't like was the ending with Moaning Myrtle stuck in the concrete, but I like seanhuxter's rationalization of it. And I personally love E.L.O. so anytime they were playing their music I was having fun. I'd probably give this episode three groans out of five, maybe 2 1/2 at a bare minimum.

//--edit--//

[Quote  by: DarthSkeptical]Another trick they missed, I think, was in somehow relating Clive's family to L.I.N.D.A. Are we really to believe Clive's wife would've just packed up her husband's stuff after his bizarre death? I would've thought the manner of his death, right in front of her, would have had her, or at least one of the kids, running to the shed. It would've been neat to have seen something of them. Really, she should've been the "middle-aged female" of the group, I think.

I also was expecting there to be some tie-in with Clive. When I brought him up, and the flash back to the Rose Autons, I realized my wife had never seen the episode Rose. After watching L&M and Confidential we watched Rose so the wife could fully appreciate the continuity.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 12:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]Whilst all of this could be true, I suspect the other side of the paving stone was pointed away to keep the special effects budget down. a) minimize the number of shots required to be done by the mill. b) make it an easy clean shot (the camera shots from Elton's camera all exhibited a wide lens distortion which would add a degree of extra difficulty tothe effect. c) increase the shock value of seeing her face on the slab (at least it wasn't her buttock).

Why was it the victims faces which appeared on the Absorbaloff's body and not other bodily parts?

Of course the effects budget would be a practical reason not to show the slab in that shot, but it also allows us to recognize that Elton's just not all there... that the slab might have been where the Absorbaloff was destroyed, and to Elton, is a last vestige of her... and in his mind, he has created a life and a girlfriend and only in his mind.

It's filmed almost exactly the way a story would be filmed if this was the case - if the object of obsession turns out to be simply an object of obsession - rather than a real living paving slab.

Brilliantly shot to give people the impression that Elton isn't imagining it - but upon closer examination it is quite clear he is.

Elton's not exactly right in the head.

Kind of like "Psycho" in many ways.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 12:54 PM EDT
    Assuming that's all true it makes his "love life...of a sort" comment even weirder.

[cue Sideshow Bob-style shudder] Eek!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 12:56 PM EDT
    I'm shocked to hear Louis' comments on this episode! Doctor Who is all about change and having fun. With that, comes experimentation. You have to be ready to try new things, just like everybody else did when they saw the first regeneration, an episode without The Doctor in it, or a companion die. You can't live in the past forever and for people to say that this episode is worse than Delta and The Bannermen is simply unbelievable twaddle.

I'm very dissapointed in the fan base for ripping this one apart - very uncalled for. Dreading to hear Louis complain about this one in the upcoming Podcast. Please keep the complaints short for those of us that quite liked this episode. All this vitriol is a total downer.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 01:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  teshia] I'm very dissapointed in the fan base for ripping this one apart - very uncalled for. Dreading to hear Louis complain about this one in the upcoming Podcast. Please keep the complaints short for those of us that quite liked this episode. All this vitriol is a total downer.

I don't think it's fair to call the comments posted here vitriol. Now if you'd been talking about Outpost Gallifrey.....

I think the comments posted on this topic have been pretty even-handed. Some people liked it, some hated it, some felt indifferent, some loved it. You have to accept that there will always be people who don't like the things you enjoy and vice versa. But telling people not to post their opinion on the forum if they don't agree with you is kind of Stalinist and totally defeats the purpose of having a forum to begin with.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 01:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  teshia]I'm very dissapointed in the fan base for ripping this one apart - very uncalled for. Dreading to hear Louis complain about this one in the upcoming Podcast. Please keep the complaints short for those of us that quite liked this episode. All this vitriol is a total downer.

Heh, I'm completely on the other side of the fence from Louis. And that's why I look forward to his comments. Don't hold back, baby. Hit us full-force. Fandom's better for diverging opinions!

Course, that don't mean we supporters of the episode couldn't tape our own reviews and send 'em in, so as to ensure fair and balanced coverage...

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 01:35 PM EDT
    Yeah, no need to call for Louis to keep his comments short just because they don't agree with some of us.

Go to it, Louis! If you hold back, I'd feel you weren't giving the podcast your fullest effort.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 10:34 PM EDT
    On a whim, I tried listening to the Whocast podcast. I didn't like it as much as Podshock. Anyway, they reviewed L&M and bashed it mercilessly. I don't understand why it's so hated.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 12:48 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  shoggoth]
    I would have to say that the whole bi-polar thing has also been bothering me this season, but I had a hard time putting it into words for the forum.

The way I've been excusing it in my own mind is by imagining that large periods of time, that we don't see on the screen, have elapsed between these "recorded" adventures.

If I didn't have that excuse to hang on to, I'd probably be thinking that its time for The Doctor and Rose to visit a free clinic on New Earth for some mood stabilzers.

I tried that at first too but in The Girl in the Fireplace Mickey says its his first trip in the TARDIS. Still there could be gaps between the others. Maybe some day we will have tenth Doctor audios to plug in the gaps.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] .
    I've had a bit of a theory about Ursula, and upon re-watching, it bears out.

Now we all know that everything Elton says is his painted perception of things - the Scooby Doo chanse, the Absorbaloff's Northern Accent, just about everything.

The only thing we know for absoultely certain is what we see on Elton's camera. Only those shots with the frame edges, indicating it's being shot from Elton's camera - are real. Everything else is suspect - and most likely a figment of a very broken mind.

I rewatched the segment where he brings out Ursula, the pavement slab.

His camera never sees her face. He doesn't turn it towards the camera. When we see her face talking to Elton, it's a cut-away, which is just Elton's imagination of events.

Ursula could be a chalk drawing on the slab for all we know. We never see her. And what we hear could simply be a figment of Elton's imagination too... a voice in his head.

So those who claim that it is completely out of character for the Doctor to save Ursula in that state - as opposed to killing those converted Cyberhumans rather than allow them to live on in that state - you're right.

He didn't save Ursula.

Ursula is dead and living on in the imagination of Elton as a chalk drawing on the slab.

In a true horror story, we would see a lot of interaction with the slab, and only in the last shot would it be revealed that she was really just a chalk drawing, or a crude carving made out of the stone.

Watch it again... just the last minute or so... you'll see it all fits.

This may be a far more twisted episode than it appears on its... er... face.

Sean.

Thanks for the insight. I’ll have to watch it again with this in mind.

Someone who is clinging onto something that is dead and gone. Hmm…

Perhaps it could be seen as fans clinging to something that as dead and gone. Perhaps RTD was making a statement about fans clinging to the classic series rigidly and not accepting that it is gone for good and moving on to find a new love. Dunno. Just throwing it out there.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:17 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] On a whim, I tried listening to the Whocast podcast. I didn't like it as much as Podshock. Anyway, they reviewed L&M and bashed it mercilessly. I don't understand why it's so hated.

Most people over at Outpost Gallefrey have rated it favorably. But you wouldn't know that by looking at the forum. Seems that those who are dissatisfied are more motivated to voice their displeasure.

I also tried out The Whocast. I find Podshock to be far slicker and more even handed than the others. Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] .
    Now we all know that everything Elton says is his painted perception of things - the Scooby Doo chanse, the Absorbaloff's Northern Accent, just about everything.

Lots of planets have a north! Laughing Out Loud

Just watch Destiny of the Daleks some of the Daleks have northern accents.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Yeah, no need to call for Louis to keep his comments short just because they don't agree with some of us.

You're right. I appologize for that.

[Quote  by:  Abersoch]I don't think it's fair to call the comments posted here vitriol. Now if you'd been talking about Outpost Gallifrey.....

That's true and to be fair, I WAS actually talking about Outpost Gallifrey when I talked about fans ripping this episode apart and spreading vitriol - I should have been clearer. I haven't seen that here and that's not what I mean. This is what happens when you get into a rant - you start messing up your tone and intentions - I'm a pain with that.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 02:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  *]
    [Quote  by:  shoggoth]
    I would have to say that the whole bi-polar thing has also been bothering me this season, but I had a hard time putting it into words for the forum.

The way I've been excusing it in my own mind is by imagining that large periods of time, that we don't see on the screen, have elapsed between these "recorded" adventures.

If I didn't have that excuse to hang on to, I'd probably be thinking that its time for The Doctor and Rose to visit a free clinic on New Earth for some mood stabilzers.

I tried that at first too but in The Girl in the Fireplace Mickey says its his first trip in the TARDIS. Still there could be gaps between the others. Maybe some day we will have tenth Doctor audios to plug in the gaps.

That's where the Tenth Doctor novels fit in...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 04:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] I am not sure about this, but I get the feeling that the opinions about Love and Monsters are dividing along Nationalistic lines. i.e. the British (like me) enjoyed it and the American's didn't.

Not true! I'm American, just caught it on the YouTube, and loved it! But I was raised by an anglophile and have a pretty goofy sense of humor! I seriously don't understand why so many people hate this ep. Not everything has to be serious hardcore death, destruction, and dimensions. Lighten up!

Look at the lovely food. Isn't it nice? Isn't it? Yes it is. Get out of here, quickly! Assaboy, whosealikeabookiechockie, then? I said run!!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored