The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Tardis is Glasgow in 1995
    Tardis is Glasgow in 1995
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Love and Monsters
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Love and Monsters Views: 13798
     Friday, July 21 2006 @ 07:14 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] All it needed were some sugar-coated cereal TV adverts sprinkled throughout the episode

Don't give any foreign (non-UK) broadcasters any ideas...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, July 24 2006 @ 01:43 AM EDT
    I'm kind of curious about all that hate on this episode too. In no sense of the word do I consider it a "classic", but it was a decent episode. It definitley had some funny moments, but it worked. I've heard so many people (including a person on the show) skewer this episode because it was "FANTASY". I hate to break this to anyone, but this whole show is FANTASY. I hand it to RTD for giving us an "ENTERTAINING" episode. This is what I watch Doctor Who for. And while we are at it....quit whining about the shows staying on Earth. If the writers continue to write great stories, I don't care where they take place.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 24 2006 @ 08:10 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  rocko] Just wondering if anyone else noticed the strong similarity of this episode to "A View From the Gallery" from season 5 of Babylon 5? It, too, was an episode from the point-of-view of an "outsider" character.

Felt lukewarm about that one, too.

This format has been done quite a few times in a lot of different shows, not only sci-fi. Babylon 5 did it twice, once in the second season (can't remember the name of the ep at the moment) where ISN did an exclusive on the station during a diplomatic crisis resulting in a battle, and the one you reference. From other comments here, it's been done in the X-Files. It's been done in ST:TNG.

I've always liked episodes in this style because it turns around the viewer's normal point of view and shows a new perspective. L&M succeeds in this format style, and that's why I did like the ep. I'm not saying it's my favorite, because it's not. But it is a lot better than the bashing it's taking from fans.

Overall, my rating on this ep is 2.5 Tardis groans out of 5.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Monday, July 24 2006 @ 04:38 PM EDT

Yes, Babylon 5 is another good example that used a similar format change successfully. The key when changing format and perspective is to stay consistent with what had already been established in the series, which Babylon 5 did very well. This is where L&M failed.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 02 2006 @ 01:29 PM EDT
    As I think most of us really enjoyed the ELO portion of this show, I'd thought I'd post this:

ELO top 'guilty secret' song list

It's from an article on bbc.co.uk.....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 02 2006 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    I really love "Jungle", but I can never find it!

I don't have it on any of my ELO collections, and I only had "Out of the Blue" on cassette.

I have never been able to find it online at iTunes or other places.

Sigh.

Love that tune.

-M-

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, August 02 2006 @ 07:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] I really love "Jungle", but I can never find it!

I don't have it on any of my ELO collections, and I only had "Out of the Blue" on cassette.

I have never been able to find it online at iTunes or other places.

Sigh.

Love that tune.

-M-

Go to itunes home page and set your country to th UK then search for ELO, choose Elctric Light Orchestra and Bingo! Out of the Blue is at the bottom of the Page, "Jungle available for 79 New Pence (about 1.38 of your Dollars) - PS I realize your Canadian so it is a different amount of YOUR Dollars.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 09:53 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] Go to itunes home page and set your country to th UK then search for ELO, choose Elctric Light Orchestra and Bingo!

I've tried to change my country to the UK multiple times on iTunes (recently so I could get the UK cut of Snow Patrols Eyes Wide Open, which has two more songs than the US version for the same price), and I've never had any joy. It seems to recognize that I'm really not in the UK and won't let me buy any of the music.... thus I continue purchasing on amazon.co.uk and paying for the shipping to the US.... sigh

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 10:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]I've tried to change my country to the UK multiple times on iTunes (recently so I could get the UK cut of Snow Patrols Eyes Wide Open, which has two more songs than the US version for the same price), and I've never had any joy. It seems to recognize that I'm really not in the UK and won't let me buy any of the music.... thus I continue purchasing on amazon.co.uk and paying for the shipping to the US.... sigh

Yeah, you have to have a UK-based credit card linked to a UK address to use the UK iTunes Music Store. It has to do with the way record companies license their music to Apple for downloading.

--Joe

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 10:11 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Yes, Babylon 5 is another good example that used a similar format change successfully. The key when changing format and perspective is to stay consistent with what had already been established in the series, which Babylon 5 did very well. This is where L&M failed.

Cheers,
    Louis

A better example is Jose Chung's From Outer Space from The X-Files.

There is absolutely nothing inconsistent about Love & Monsters, once you realize that it's a show about someone other than the root characters. Every other aspect of the show was consistent with RTD's style for the past series.

I think if I were to have a say in reshooting "L&M", I would do interesting things like make the TARDIS green, or something - to make it just that little bit more obvious to the viewer that what we're seeing is NOT in fact reality, but the twisted recollections of Elton, whose mind is just not living in the real world.

I might have made Rose a red-head with much larger breasts, and the Doctor as being far more mysterious, with a large black coat and dark sunglasses.

But that would be catering to people who just didn't get the fact that this isn't the Doctor and Rose as they really are, but as twisted Elton recollects them.

And no one needed any more of a clue-by-four than the Scooby chase at the beginning. Once we saw that, it was "Oh... this isn't really happening the way we're seeing it", and bob's yer uncle. It all falls together beautifully.

Because I think I'd like to keep this show as "Doctor Who" not "Sledge Hammer" (as in I need to be hit with one of those before I get what's going on.)

Sean.

Sean.

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 11:01 AM EDT

Sean,

Elvis was the crew's target in The Idiot's Lantern. The character in Love & Monsters was Elton. Smile

Taras

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 11:48 AM EDT
    I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about

(* hides the white-out *)

Elvis, Elton... both singers... who can keep track?

Sean.

Wednesday, October 18 2006 @ 10:56 AM EDT
    having just seen Series 2 thanks to a good friend of mine, I wanted to chip in with a couple of comments and a crazy speculation of my own...

This episode misses being a favorite of mine because of the single element of Peter Kay's portrayal of the monster. I thought his portrayal of Victor was so great - why did he feel the need to rip off Mike Meyers when he got into a fat suit?

I thought the rest of the performances were absolutely excellent and I was very impressed with Ursula - I have found Moaning Myrtle to be annoying and I'm glad to find out that's the character, not the actor...

Crazy speculation time - what if Elton and Ursula are the parents/slash ancestors of the Face of Bo? That's the first thing that popped in my mind when we heard the unfortunate line about them having a love life.

Or do we already know that Face of Bo is older than that?

I got excited by the idea, but I think I prefer Sean's theory about the entire show being an Elton delusion brought about by the death of his mother.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 05 2007 @ 05:09 PM EST
    Way back when this was the newest episode and the love/hate camps were forming up, I found myself immediately amongst the lovers. And I still do. But I've just come across a fabulous essay about the episode which I think expresses why it's possible to see this episode as a palpable RTD triumph. Whether you're in the "love" or "hate" camp, it's nevertheless one of the most literate examinations of the episode, and maybe the whole program, I've yet encountered.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, February 06 2007 @ 12:59 AM EST

That was articulated very well. Maybe it can win over Louis? Well, it's worth a try!

Taras

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored