The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Seventh Doctor Era Panel at Gallifrey 2008
    The Seventh Doctor Era Panel at Gallifrey 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Fear Her
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Fear Her Views: 4927
     Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 04:12 AM EDT

For the second time in a row, the upcoming attractions for next week's Doctor Who (the trailer at the end of the current episode) features an Apple Macintosh 17" PowerBook G4. It's probably the same one seen in Love & Monsters... redressed for use in Fear Her (I hope the similarities between the two episodes end there though... but I am not sure about the whole drawings coming to life bit... we will see).

I did notice that they covered up the Apple logo on the outside lid in Love & Monsters... That's not all that uncommon on television.

I believe that Fear Her takes place in the year 2012, so it is good to see that the trusty PowerBook G4 is still being used almost a decade after this model was first introduced. Smile (Mine will be 3 years old already this fall... but still feels and runs like new. Does everything I need it to do.)

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 11:45 AM EDT
    alright, Louis. I admit it. You and the Mac Cult have made me question my reliance on non-Mac items.

When I buy a new laptop at Christmas time, I will definitely give Mac's a very good look. (since, as you say, your 3 year old product is still great, whereas my 3 year old Gateway is struggling mightily under the increasing pressure I put on it to perform).

Just consider me a convert in the making....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 01:54 PM EDT
    I thought this was a Doctor Who forum? egads! What have i signed up for, it's all an undercover ploy to unleash computer trivia! lol

I'm just joshing, back to the episode, it looks like complete cack, but then it WAS just a trailer, you cant judge an episode on that!
    Wouldn't it be great if Adam and/or Van Statten make a suprise guest apperance? or do you think it'll ruin the run of the series, as we've already has Cassandra back?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 04:28 PM EDT
    I'm beginning to think that it will be Louis and not Ken who is going to go solo. Look for Louis's new show Appleshock coming soon to a computer near you! Big Grin

Mmm... Yea. I'm thinking this episode will be a bit crap. Maybe we will all be pleasantly suprised.

For my next laptop I intend to switch to the Mac side but for right now I am stuck with Windows. Such is life.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 20 2006 @ 04:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny] Wouldn't it be great if Adam and/or Van Statten make a suprise guest apperance? or do you think it'll ruin the run of the series, as we've already has Cassandra back?

Don't know, I like to see the consequences of "Doctor Contact." Love to see how Adam is dealing with that... spike receiver in his head.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 01:05 PM EDT
    Oh boy. Another TV show trying to convince the world that everybody uses a Mac. Not that I have anything against Macs, but if I had a dime for every TV show that tried to convince me that we're all using Powerbooks, I could pay for the colourization of The Mind of Evil.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 01:41 PM EDT
    Yeah, a niche-market machine which pretends via its ads that it has NO viruses, (when the dialogue actually indicates that the Mac doesn't actually have the same NUMBER of viruses - and besides, who'd be bothered to write any) and which pretends not to be able to sync up with the latest digital camera, and treats people like idiots - not one I'm ever going to buy at three times the price for the same effort with about one eighth of the available software, to be quite generous.

Oh well... sure, its a fairly stable platform, and plug and play actually does more or less what it promises (rather than the "plug and pRay" of Windows (before the latest versions), but it is NOT the only platform that can create movies, or edit photographs, or do anything else for that matter.

The fact is that most games are NOT ported to the Mac, and unless your only goal is to do web work, get e-mail or do multi-media work, then the Mac is not the best option, even if it WERE equal in price.

Sigh... /Rant off

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 05:42 PM EDT

If games is the issue, then there are various game consoles out there... there are many games for the Mac... but if you want to play all the games available on Windows then it is simply done with the new Intel based Macs with Bootcamp.

There are no real viruses for the Mac OS... never encountered any at all on Mac OS X.

Sure you can edit movies, photos, audio on any other platform, but right out of the box with the Mac you get the entire suite of iLife applications that do it so easily and effortlessly.

Get whatever you like though... I use multiple platforms... but make my home and platform of choice the Mac OS.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, June 21 2006 @ 08:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    If games is the issue, then there are various game consoles out there... there are many games for the Mac... but if you want to play all the games available on Windows then it is simply done with the new Intel based Macs with Bootcamp.

There are no real viruses for the Mac OS... never encountered any at all on Mac OS X.

Sure you can edit movies, photos, audio on any other platform, but right out of the box with the Mac you get the entire suite of iLife applications that do it so easily and effortlessly.

Get whatever you like though... I use multiple platforms... but make my home and platform of choice the Mac OS.

Cheers,
    Louis

I have to agree with Louis on this one and I run a PC network. Apple has made a far greater strides, OS wise, toward become universally friendly. From incorporating SAMBA into their earliest version of OSX, to offering Intel chips with Bootcamp on their newest machines, Apple is making the most solid effort to realize everyone's dream of a universal platform.

Furthermore, I can only think of two viruses, since the debut of OSX, that can mess with their operating system.

I don't own an Apple, nor am I likely to buy one in the near future, but I recognize genius when I see it. Finally, in terms of aesthetics, they are so much sexier.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 08:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

I did notice that they covered up the Apple logo on the outside lid in Love & Monsters... That's not all that uncommon on television.

Really? It seems like I'm always seeing Apple laptops with their big Apple logos on TV and in the movies. In Buffy they never covered up the logo. As soon as I see a Mac laptop with the big Apple logo (conveniently oriented so it's right-side-up for everyone else when the laptop is open) I immediately think "product placement".

As far as Fear Her goes, I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the actress that plays the mom (I'm assuming) acted with David Tennant in the RTD production of Cassanova.

//--edit--//
    Ugh...just noticed my horrible use of there instead of their. [shudder] I fixed it, but I still feel ignorant.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:44 PM EDT
    Before I reply to anything here, let me just say that I don't hate Macs. Macs are good computers. I'm just not a fan of Apple or the "cult of mac". To be fair, I hate Microsoft even more. That said, I do feel I have to put in this preface though to avoid being whacked, as people get quite heated about these things. With that said, I'll continue.

[Quote  by:  Louis]If games is the issue, then there are various game consoles out there... there are many games for the Mac... but if you want to play all the games available on Windows then it is simply done with the new Intel based Macs with Bootcamp.

To be fair though, Louis, console games are more arcade based (ie. "button mashers") that allow few offerings for people who like REAL RPGs (ie. AD&D based offerings, not Final Fantasy turn based things with androgynous pokemonsters in them). There are also few offerings on consoles for intelligent games like the stuff Will Wright has created or simulations, whether they be space, flight, sub, etc. simulations. When it comes to Macs, yes, you could play the PC games through Boot Camp, but it wouldn't that just add another layer of hassle and expense? As far as there being lots of games for Macs, yes, that's improved, but largely due to the fact that they're being ported, sometimes long after their initial PC release, which is a pain. It also means that the gaming market for Macs is largely dependant on the initial creation of games in the Windows environment. True, Macs have had their own original games, but sometimes they've been less than stellar (ie. Marathon anyone?)

[Quote  by:  Louis]There are no real viruses for the Mac OS.

Very true. Mind you, this isn't so much an invention of Apple as it is a gigantic mistake of Microsoft. Linux and Mac work off the same principal - don't be root and you won't get in trouble. Windows doesn't, so it gets buggered left right and center. I got a laugh recently when Microsoft said they were coming out with their One Care solution that provides anti-virus and anti-spyware services in Windows...for $50 a year or something! How ironic is it that the company that created giant holes in their OS is now charging their users for the solution to the problem, ten years or more after they first became an issue. For the price they ask for Windows, it should be free.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 01:46 PM EDT
    ________

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 11:55 PM EDT
    Thanks for correcting the post and letting me know about the syntax requirements. I'll make sure to watch the tags closer the next time I get fancy with my quoting.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 02:33 PM EDT

If you are using QUOTE tags, and mess them up, then that can happen. Louis usually can fix the post so that it appears...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, June 22 2006 @ 05:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    If you are using QUOTE tags, and mess them up, then that can happen. Louis usually can fix the post so that it appears...

Yep. I fixed it. This forum software (at this version of it at least) is very finicky when it comes to QUOTE tags. If it does not have a matching closing tag for every open tag, it won't display the message at all.

One of the closing QUOTE tags was missing the "/" ... that was all.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic