The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 01
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 01
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Fear Her
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Fear Her Views: 4983
     Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 05:11 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Well, as evident in the last two episodes... if you want believability, you have to look elsewhere I am sorry to say. Doctor Who has lost much if it after what we saw last week and to good extent, this week's story as well.

Cheers,
    Louis
    Louis, Louis, Louis. Believability in Doctor Who? The main character travels in time and space in a freakin' police box. The whole premise of the show is unbelievable from any remotely scientific viewpoint. Honestly, man, you're going to hurt yourself if you keep laboring under the misapprehension that this is a science fiction show. Look what happened to JNT. He had to start wearing loud Hawaiian shirts to distract onlookers from the fact that his brain was melting from the logical problems associated with trying to convert Doctor Who into a science fiction show.

An alien child draws things in our reality and those things get transported to her reality. If you can "believe" that the police box doors are a gateway to other dimensions, you can accept that the drawings are a similar gateway.

At least this made more dramatic sense than "Rise of the Cybermen" in which the Doctor took all of five minutes to go from a dead TARDIS to a "no-problem-give-it-24-hours-to-recharge" one.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 05:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]

For the second time in a row, the upcoming attractions for next week's Doctor Who (the trailer at the end of the current episode) features an Apple Macintosh 17" PowerBook G4. It's probably the same one seen in Love & Monsters...
    I'm more impressed that they got TV to display in widescreen, activated by hotkeys, on a G4. Much as I love and use Macs, certainly the G4s like this never did a truly great job of displaying TV signals smoothly. And the widescreen's just a total cheat, isn't it? Or does the BBC actually offer a widescreen signal for its routine news broadcasts?

Wonder why the show has been happy to include Macs, but not too keen on showing them being used realistically? Do they really think their graphic inserts are an improvement on the elegance of Mac apps?

I am sure that in 1012 this was a powerbook Pentium Quattro (or perhaps an AMD Octo)- any resemblence to a current G model is purely coincidental - and widescreen News broadcasts are made everyday in 1080P.

PS: I believe the BBC does broadcast the news in widescreen (though living in the US, I can't be sure)- certainly the good doctor is.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 05:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] This speculation about the believability of a stranger being allowed to carry the torch is just that: speculation. I'm not sure we've ever seen what would happen if, in the middle of a live broadcast, the runner collapsed. Does the Olympic committee actually have standby runners lining the route? Somehow I doubt it.

Yes, they do have standby runners, at least they did for Atlanta. I remember a news report for a local MA distance runner who was picked as a backup runner for the torch. They have backups for all stages of the torch run in thier country.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 05:25 PM EDT
    With regard to the believabability of the doctor carrying the torch, is this anymore unlikely than the torch being run past the end of a quiet residential street in which an alien ship crash landed six days prior (then kidnaps three kids) and time machine arrived today? okay the time machine thing has some precidence since they were travelling to see the Olympics, but still!

Is it just me or do you think that the Police may have cordoned off the street? If not, it would certainly be beseiged by tabloid reporters asking the parents how awful they feel and which neighbour has been transporting large rolls of carpet in the back of their car after dark.

BTW: Nice to see the Doctor arrived in the right place and correct time (to the day) for once.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 05:31 PM EDT
    Another wonderful episode that, just like Love & Monsters, wasn't scared or that set in its ways that it had to stick to this notional formula some people appear to think Doctor Who should remain all about - completely ignoring the fact that it was being prepared to take risks and do things that may put some peoples back out that made the program a success in the first place.

I just loved learning, as soon as I saw that broken piece of gubbins the Doctor had worked on, that Gallifreyan technology is all based on valves - who needs some heap of junk built by Apple/Microsoft/AMD/Intel when you can have the gorgeous sexy warm smell of pentodes... oh yes that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Didn't anybody notice the reference towards Torchwood - so far I haven't seen anybody mention it and yet its in there if you listen.

You are rogue elements... You are incompatible... You will be... Deleted!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 06:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] This speculation about the believability of a stranger being allowed to carry the torch is just that: speculation. I'm not sure we've ever seen what would happen if, in the middle of a live broadcast, the runner collapsed. Does the Olympic committee actually have standby runners lining the route? Somehow I doubt it.

Yes, they do have standby runners, at least they did for Atlanta. I remember a news report for a local MA distance runner who was picked as a backup runner for the torch. They have backups for all stages of the torch run in thier country.
    Well this made me curious enough to check online, and, indeed, you're right. I found references to the nature of backup runners in both the cases of Salt Lake and Atlanta—but only to the American leg of the run, and only to the earlier stages where runners tend not to be athletes. The runners, are, as you say behind them.

I'm still not convinced, though, about that final leg. I've seen wide angle and aerial shots of the final runner, and there is no one behind him or her in a reasonable distance. The point of that last runner is almost explicitly the big shot of a lone athlete dramatically entering the stadium.

I still think that even if there were a backup, and someone else jumped in and picked up the torch first, the police are not gonna stop that as long as it appears to them the runner intends to complete the run in the spirit the Olympics intend. The eyes of the world are on the event and the very last thing they want to happen is to risk anything even approaching a heavy handed police presence.

So, I dunno, I bought that whole part of the episode without question. For me, it had verisimilitude, if not maybe technical accuracy.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 07:06 PM EDT
    I'd argue the bit about a total stranger being allowed to pick up the torch and light the flame. It wouldn't happen - certainly not in the UK where the Government would be paranoid that some raggedy trousered swarthy type in a baggy coat might use the opportunity to hurtle into the Olympic stadium and detonate some weapon of mass destruction and blow everyone to Kingdom Come. In fact, if he was running in a baggy coat in London he'd be picked off by a police marksman before he got within a mile of the place.

But of course we don't watch Doctor Who for realism of that sort really, do we?

Let's just be thankful he didn't try to be Paula Radcliffe and get "caught short" by the roadside. Eek!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 08:50 PM EDT

Some thoughts on "Fear Her" (mild spoilers):

1) "I was a father once." Anyone else gobsmacked by this line? Of course we knew that Susan was his granddaughter, but due to the fact that he's all but ignored her for decades, I've long speculated on their relationship... as well as the identity of her mother.

2) Is this only the second episode of Doctor Who *ever* in which no one dies? I believe Empty Child/Doctor Dances was the first, yes?

3) Do you think we'll meet the Doctor's new companion(s) in the finale, or not until Series 3? I haven't heard the announcement of a new cast member yet, so I'm quite curious.

4) I completely dug the undercurrent of evil that tainted what should've been a deliriously happy ending. Oh my god, these next two episodes are going to be huge. I would give a week of my life to see them right now.

Overall, I thought "Fear Her" was a pretty fine (if a bit "small" in terms of its scale) episode. But the trailer for next week... sweet Jesus on a freakin' pogo stick. Best trailer ever! Torchwood! Ghosts! Cybermen! And the death of Rose all but admitted! Come on, who else pooped their pants?

Pass the ball-bearing cupcakes, please.
    -CinemaslaveJoe

--- Check out the CINEMASLAVE podcast at: http://www.cinemaslave.com

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 09:04 PM EDT
    I'm with Joe on this one. I LOVED the offhanded comment by the Doctor about his being a Dad once. Of course we all suspected that, but that's the first time in my recollection that he's ever mentioned it.
    Now, as a Dad myself, I don't go around talking about my kids all the time but I'm sure I'd mention them occasionally. Of course, I'm not over 900 years old and if my family was gone maybe I wouldn't.... hmmmm.

Well, all in all I liked this episode even though I was prepared not to. I'm really looking forward to the next 2 eps but I get the feeling that the BBC is trying too hard to make us think that Rose is going to die. Just my thought. Anyone else suspect she ends up crossing over to parallel earth to be with Mickey in the end?

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Sunday, June 25 2006 @ 10:10 PM EDT
    I liked this episode, even though it seemed that it would not be very good. I was plesantly surprised and enjoyed it. A tiny story told in a tiny area but having large implications.

It was a nice twist at the end of the story to start the gloom and doom factor and then the trailer! Whoa! What a wild ending its going to be to the second series.

I wonder if Rose gets marooned in the parallel earth but is stranded there with her dad, so that she can finally have her "dad" with her. And maybe that would explain some of the speculation that the Doctor would spend part of series three searching for Rose. I don't know. What does everybody think? Anyway its going to be quite a ride. Hang on!

psibob

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 26 2006 @ 08:11 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx]
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Really? It seems like I'm always seeing Apple laptops with their big Apple logos on TV and in the movies. In Buffy they never covered up the logo. As soon as I see a Mac laptop with the big Apple logo (conveniently oriented so it's right-side-up for everyone else when the laptop is open) I immediately think "product placement".

I don't think BBC has a sponsorship deal with Apple, but with Microsoft. It's common practice to subsitute a blank bottle/can/lable when a scene calls for a product to be seen, unless there is a sponsorship deal. The places where you see Macs in movies and on TV (or Sony Viaos, or Coca-Cola, etc.) there is a sponsorship deal in place - the product company has agreed to give over money for production of the movie/series in order for the use of thier product on screen.

That is the most likely explanation for the G4's Apple logo being "covered over."

I think you'll find the BBC does NOT have a sponsorship deal with Microsoft or anybody else for that matter, certainly not to the level of 'product placement' being in the deal. The BBC is required by its Royal charter to be free from both political and commercial influence and answers only to its viewers and listeners. That is the main reason why programmes aren't interrupted every 15 minutes to try and sell us something Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 26 2006 @ 09:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  CinemaslaveJoe]
    1) "I was a father once." Anyone else gobsmacked by this line? Of course we knew that Susan was his granddaughter, but due to the fact that he's all but ignored her for decades, I've long speculated on their relationship... as well as the identity of her mother.

In the books that were written about the 8th Doctor, he did in fact raise a child (name escapes me), who we later find out was Susan's mother, but then again, that story line also made out that the 8th Doctor met the first Doctor & they did not recognize each other.... that bit of the story always gave me a headache

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 26 2006 @ 09:47 AM EDT
    SPOILERS! (maybe)

I'd like to complain a bit about the trailer/teaser for the next weeks (or was the teaser for both weeks?).

The teaser gave us SO much information I found it distressing. It was liking watching a trailer for a new comedy movie, where you know that all the funny bits are in the trailer, so when you watch the movie, nothing is funny anymore.

I'm really hoping the teaser is misleading us, otherwise lets go over what we already know: 1) the Cybermen are coming in from an alternate universe (they ARE the same Cybermen encountered earlier) (does this mean Mickey lost the war?) 2) Torchwood makes an appearance and blames the Doctor for everything 3) Torchwood activates a sphere causing the Cybermen to become corporeal on our earth and not just "ghosts." 4) Rose is going to fall in battle.

These are only the highlights of what they told us on the teaser. WAY too much information for me.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 03:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]I grow weary of the phrase "this season's Boom Town" as a kind of vaguely negative euphemism.

It is. Boomtown was a huge disappointment to me. It was a huge dip in the momentum of the series. It was just silly... and uninteresting.

Riding a wave of momentum, it was like the surf stopped, and we were left with a lull, which thankfully picked up again when the wind got going again.

Likewise, "The Idiot's Lantern" and "Fear Her" were similar dips on the momentum that series 2 had going.

So when I say "this season's Boomtown" I do mean it as a negative.

Sean.

Right on, I'm so with you on this mate.

And all these daddy issue things are starting to get suspect to me. Also, why must the ongoing themes be so utterly hammered. Loney wanderer this, loney traveler that, yada, yada, yada, I get it already. Ooh, something bad's gonna happen, something bad's coming. Was this the first episode this series that didn't mention Torchwood?

And man, I'm not the type who likes to delve into spoilers at all, I usually even skip the preview at the end for next week, like to go in all fresh. Well man, was it a big mistake for me to watch the spoiler for next week. The whole thing was one huge spoiler, for me anyway.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 04:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx] ...
    The one thing that bounced me out of the believeability of the ep was right at the end, with the Doctor picking up the torch and lighting the Olympic Beacon. Can anyone really believe that security would just let anyone run in and pick up the torch? Then run into the Olympic Stadium to light the Beacon????

Well, as evident in the last two episodes... if you want believability, you have to look elsewhere I am sorry to say. Doctor Who has lost much if it after what we saw last week and to good extent, this week's story as well.

Security at the Olympics is the least of it. He was turned into a cartoon both literally and figuratively!

Cheers,
    Louis

What's this? Do I detect a sense of ongoing bitterness at least two weeks in a row? Man, and the new series(s) had been hitting so many home runs in a row. With only 13 to make a season you'd like to think they could prevent putting out 2 turkeys in a row. But see, that's just the weird thing isn't it? Not everybody thinks the duds are duds? Some people are actually quite content with these new episodes of Doctor Who no matter what malarky they throw at us.

Confused

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored