The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Mary Tamm & David Warwick
    Mary Tamm & David Warwick
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Fear Her
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Fear Her Views: 5000
     Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 04:16 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  CinemaslaveJoe]
    2) Is this only the second episode of Doctor Who *ever* in which no one dies? I believe Empty Child/Doctor Dances was the first, yes?

-CinemaslaveJoe

Are we speaking strictly New Who or also counting classics? In Story #3, 'Edge of Destruction,' I believe no one dies. As I vaguely recall as well, in the text commentary on the DVD of that story mentions that there are 1 or 2 other stories out of the entire Classic Who stoires that also contain zero fatalities.

Cool

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 04:25 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] SPOILERS! (maybe)

I'd like to complain a bit about the trailer/teaser for the next weeks (or was the teaser for both weeks?).

The teaser gave us SO much information I found it distressing. It was liking watching a trailer for a new comedy movie, where you know that all the funny bits are in the trailer, so when you watch the movie, nothing is funny anymore.

I'm really hoping the teaser is misleading us, otherwise lets go over what we already know: 1) the Cybermen are coming in from an alternate universe (they ARE the same Cybermen encountered earlier) (does this mean Mickey lost the war?) 2) Torchwood makes an appearance and blames the Doctor for everything 3) Torchwood activates a sphere causing the Cybermen to become corporeal on our earth and not just "ghosts." 4) Rose is going to fall in battle.

These are only the highlights of what they told us on the teaser. WAY too much information for me.

I so hate to agree with you on this one and I so hope that the trailer is somehow misleading us, it's happened before although I can't think of a specific answer off the top of my head. Man, and I thought series 2 started off with such a bang. But other than 'The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit', since 'The Idiot's Lantern' I've felt like the Who Crew (the makers) have just been bumbbling around. Oh god, please not more of this in season 3. Please no more even crazier "experimental" (a la 'Love and Monsters') episodes next year.

btw, I hope I'm not adding to all the spoiling, but for some reason I got the impression that that big sphere thingy had something to do with the return of Captain Jack...

But what do I know???

Laughing Out Loud

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 11:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor]
    2) Is this only the second episode of Doctor Who *ever* in which no one dies? I believe Empty Child/Doctor Dances was the first, yes?

-CinemaslaveJoe

Are we speaking strictly New Who or also counting classics? In Story #3, 'Edge of Destruction,' I believe no one dies. As I vaguely recall as well, in the text commentary on the DVD of that story mentions that there are 1 or 2 other stories out of the entire Classic Who stoires that also contain zero fatalities.

Cool

No one dies in Fury from the Deep as well.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 01:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    I grow weary of the phrase "this season's Boom Town" as a kind of vaguely negative euphemism.

To compare this to Boom Town is an insult...that is, an insult to Fear Her. Boom Town/Aliens of London/WWIII were so not interesting to me. The Slitheen (and the Absorba-whatever monster from the last episode - I dare not speak that episode title again, as I hope it will be forgotton very soon) are so over-the-top and are definitely geared to captivate the children in the audience, which is what we must accept, if the producers are aiming for the attention from the younger age groups.

This was an average episode for me. It also has the unfortunate luck of being placed before the most anticipated 2-parter of the new series, for which we have set a very high standard. Since this doesn't come close to being that knockout episode we're craving, a lot of people tend to bash it. For me, it's ok. Not great, but certainly better than Boom Town and L&M (ugh...almost said the name).

Girl in the Fireplace/Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, are all 5 TARDIS groan episodes to me, and I have little doubt that the final 2-parter will be anything else. 5 killer eps out of 12 episodes ain't too bad if you ask me. The other 7 are no worse than a 3. Yes, you didn't read wrong...I said 12 episodes...L&M doesn't count.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 02:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor]

-CinemaslaveJoe

Cool

No one dies in Fury from the Deep as well.

I guess if you count the unaired original pilot An Unearthly Child and/or you consider the transmitted version as a separate story from The Trial of Gum ("The Quest for Fire"), then you can add that to list as well.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 04:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor]Was this the first episode this series that didn't mention Torchwood?

You need to listen more closely - after everyone disappears out of the Olympic Stadium and while Rose and Trish and Chloe are involved in heavy dialog you can hear the BBC's Huw Edwards say in the background 'oh my this is incredible - maybe someone should call up Torchwood'

You are rogue elements... You are incompatible... You will be... Deleted!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 27 2006 @ 05:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Delete!] [while Rose and Trish and Chloe are involved in heavy dialog you can hear the BBC's Huw Edwards say in the background 'oh my this is incredible - maybe someone should call up Torchwood'

It doesn't sound like call up Torchwood (remember this is supposed to be a secret organisation [ha!] that carts off any journalists who try to reveal their existence). It's very difficult to hear exactly what is said because of Chloe bleating on in whispered speech but it sounded like it ended with something like "...fifty people from the battle of the Torchwood." (!?!?!?)

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 08:34 AM EDT
    A lighter weight but fun episode. Also what a dynamite line "I was a father once." And then the moment is passed by and the audience is left gagging for information!

I had begun to think the whole granddaughter thing wasn't a biological referance, more honary like many 'Uncles' but I guess not now! This has to be one of the wonderful things about Doctor Who. It demands that the fans pay attention to every line and then think about the clues that are dropped.

As for the Doctor lighting the Olympic flame - what a bloody brilliant idea! I don't care about the reality of the situation it was cool to watch and even cooler if they asked David Tennant (famous actor embodying one of the UK's greatest cultural icons) to light the actual flame! Hey we can but dream.

As for the reality given all the other things the Doctor has been able to do I don't think getting past a police line would trouble him much!

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 11:06 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] btw, I hope I'm not adding to all the spoiling, but for some reason I got the impression that that big sphere thingy had something to do with the return of Captain Jack...

But what do I know???

Laughing Out Loud

I think at this point, we can only hope this is accurate. I had read months ago that John Barrowman isn't in this series at all, so I'm guessing he isn't in the sphere - I'd dearly love to see his reaction to the new Doctor. I kind of think his line in The Parting of the Ways, "Never doubted him, never will," would be a great thing to resurrect, as I bet he'd doubt THIS doctor, since Cap't Jack doesn't "know" him, just as Rose doubted the 10th Doctor in The Christmas Invasion....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 02:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] btw, I hope I'm not adding to all the spoiling, but for some reason I got the impression that that big sphere thingy had something to do with the return of Captain Jack...

But what do I know???

Laughing Out Loud

I think at this point, we can only hope this is accurate. I had read months ago that John Barrowman isn't in this series at all, so I'm guessing he isn't in the sphere - I'd dearly love to see his reaction to the new Doctor. I kind of think his line in The Parting of the Ways, "Never doubted him, never will," would be a great thing to resurrect, as I bet he'd doubt THIS doctor, since Cap't Jack doesn't "know" him, just as Rose doubted the 10th Doctor in The Christmas Invasion....

I'd like to see Captain Jack in the finale, if for no other reason than being more of a tie-in for when Torchwood begins airing in a few months.

One thought that's been in the back of my mind for a while: anyone think Captain Jack will be a little ticked-off at the Doctor for leaving him behind on Satellite 5 at the end of The Parting of the Ways? Sure, Rose brought him back from the dead, but I don't think he knows about that for sure. And the last he sees of them, is of the TARDIS dematerializing.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 03:03 PM EDT
    What I really can't wait for is when the mysterious puzzle piece of what Jack did with those "missing" years of his life finally comes to the foreground and is revealed. Something tells me the Doctor might not be so happy with him either, after such skeletons in the closet come out to play. Time will likely tell...

Whatever the case, I'm betting Jack won't turn up in the 2-parter, as with those of us who've s(p)oiled ourselves in anticipation (lol) can attest, we've got impending maximum character overload in effect as it is.

We'll see, though. I'd love it if he did show up. John Barrowman is a dish, and quite the great performer in the role of Cap'n Harkness. Can't wait for Torchwood!

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 03:22 PM EDT
    Missing years...hmmm...

Here's something to blow our minds...what if those missing 2 years were actually years that Captain Jack spent working for Torchwood (the Time Agency that Jack referred to)? The Captain Jack that Eccleston encountered was actually a post-Torchwood Jack! And now, Tennant's Doctor could actually meet Captain Jack before Captain Jack meets Eccleston's Doctor...Tennant could potentially be the one to erase Jack's memory (although this would be extremely out of character for The Doctor).

If this was the classic series, I'd probably dismiss my idea immediately as wild speculation...but RTD has done an excellent job with the new series planting seeds in our minds far in advance of playing his cards (multiple Bad Wolf and Torchwood references, Face of Boe, etc...), and this scenario would not surprise me as being possible.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 03:40 PM EDT
    You know, that actually occurred to me as well. It's certainly a plausible possibility. And would work very well for the character between the 9th and 10th Doctors.

I just don't want Jack to turn out to be against the Doctor in the end. There was such great repertoire between them last season, that to have him and the 10th Doctor at odds against one another just makes me sad, frankly.

But like it or not, it would make for GREAT storytelling and more heightened drama within the new series.

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 04:00 PM EDT
    I wish the series (new or classic) dealt with this...The Doctor meeting someone he is already familiar with in a non-sequential fashion. For example, why were the Doctor's encounters with Davros always in chronological order? Why couldn't Tom Baker have encountered Davros in Resurrection of the Daleks, and then have Davison's Doctor encounter Davros in Destiny of the Daleks? Davison would know that Davros will eventually be captured and sent away to be put on trial, yet how would this knowledge affect his current actions? Again...almost limitless storylines to pursue here.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 28 2006 @ 08:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] I think you'll find the BBC does NOT have a sponsorship deal with Microsoft or anybody else for that matter, certainly not to the level of 'product placement' being in the deal. The BBC is required by its Royal charter to be free from both political and commercial influence and answers only to its viewers and listeners. That is the main reason why programmes aren't interrupted every 15 minutes to try and sell us something Smile

Good point. Being an American, and so innundated with advertising, I forget there is a haven from that sort of thing somewhere in the world...

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed