The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Eric Roberts with Gary Russell at Gallifrey 18, February 17 2007
    Eric Roberts with Gary Russell at Gallifrey 18, February 17 2007
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Fear Her
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Fear Her Views: 4924
     Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 12:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] btw, I hope I'm not adding to all the spoiling, but for some reason I got the impression that that big sphere thingy had something to do with the return of Captain Jack...

But what do I know???

Laughing Out Loud

I think at this point, we can only hope this is accurate...

Well I'm sorry if I somehow turned this into a Captain Jack thread, but going along with that...

This kind of made me think about something. As I was viewing the 1st series (9th Doc) for the first time I noticed how much more exciting, more built up, and just plain better the series seemed to get as it neared the end. From Father's Day until the end it hardly looses any steam. So anyway, with series 2, I thought it started off much stronger than season 1 and again I figured they'd still be saving all the good/better stuff for near the end. I thought The Impossible Planet was going to be the start of this, but I have not been very impressed at all following that 2 parter. Now with all this "Jack" talk, I'm starting to think that was a big part of the reason why I found the end of series 1 so gratifying. Idea He just made the show, overall, that much more enjoyable for me. Mostly for all the dialog sparring and humor he brought to our ensemble cast. I guess these more recent episodes have seemed rather empty without him (or someone else) for me. I guess I'm starting to get bored already with just Rose and the Doctor being all "chummy" with each other. Need something new to mix up that whole dynamic. Well I guess this is going to be happening soon anyway, right?

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 12:50 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975] I wish the series (new or classic) dealt with this...The Doctor meeting someone he is already familiar with in a non-sequential fashion.

This is very much like the whole Guinan/Generations effect.

Yes, yes, I too have thought about this a lot. Like why or how in the world is it, with all the Doctor's supposedly random travels through time and space, does he seem to continue to encounter the Cybermen in chronological order? I mean in there chronology of course, but I guess it is for our's and the Doctor's as well. I mean, because every time we see meet them they've become more advanced or slightly upgraded from before.

And speaking of Age of Steel, etc. Well I'm not sure about them somehow crossing over from their alternate universe into ours, but that aside, I was just wondering if what if in their alt. universe, Earth is more like the "10th Planet" where the cybermen originated from and Mondas in the alt. universe is more like our Earth. Since they were like twin planets. I was just waiting for them to admit in The Age of Steel that it wasn't Earth at all, that it really was Mondas.

And back to the non-sequential stuff. What my dream (new) Who episode would be, is if they would begin the episode from the 8th Doctor's perspective, in other words, make an episode as if during the 8th Doctor's reign with whomever his companion might be at the time. They could still use the current Tardis set and just make it look like it's still under construcion or going through the refit process. All this could help fill in some gaps and tie some things together. And in this 8th Doctor's story, they could run into the 10th Doctor or whatever, etc. They could do this as a one-off and maybe even alter the opening titles and theme a bit and throw in Paul McGann's name in the opening credits.

Again, sorry, I know this had absolutely nothing to do with Fear Her. But oh, I was just listening to the commentary of this episode today and I believe I did hear them mention that they're already working on the next Christmas speical right now and they're starting to put the Tardis set back together or something and that for this episode (the xmas one) or for the new series (#3), they requested that the ineterior set now have some other door or way to lead to the rest of the interior of the Tardis. Yay for that, it's about time.

Damn I'm a windbag, sorry. Just lovin' the Who!!! Big Grin

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 12:57 AM EDT
    I will agree with you on every point. The build up to last season's finale was much stronger. This season has been something of a rollercoaster ride for many fans, judging by the posts I've been reading of late.

Captain Jack was an essential element in the phenomenal cast chemistry for the last half of season one. His wit and adventurous swashbuckling was infectious. It also didn't hurt that he was quite tech saavy, which played well against The Doctor's seemingly limitless knowledge. Why should The Doctor always be the one to figure out how to create the latest gadget, etc.? I loved the fact that Jack was responsible for creating the "fully functioning force field" in The Parting of the Ways.

The chummy quality is a point of irritation for me as well. The Doctor and Rose seem to be far more cavalier about the situations they find themselves in this season. Sometimes, when they step out of the TARDIS, its like they've been in the pub for the last three hours (thinking the beginning of Impossible Planet). I understand that this is probably meant to demonstrate Rose growing closer to The Doctor, but it has been overdone in certain instances.

I'm wondering if the fact that Rose has become almost too comfortable with the dangers of time travel will be her undoing in the finale.

Cheers,

Shoggoth

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 01:43 PM EDT

Agreed. The 2006 series, unlike the 2005 series.... does not have the strong momentum heading into the climax and series finale. After The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit it the energy and momentum had come to a complete halt. I think a character like Captain Jack, or better yet, Captain Jack himself would have helped to a certain degree. I hope things pick up with The Army of Ghosts... I am banking on the fact that since they have hit rock bottom (just about) that they can only go up from here.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 04:52 PM EDT
    errr...not that i'm encouraging any illegal activity, mind you...but can someone get Fear Her up on YouTube? Smile

"...edible ball bearings...genius!"

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 05:14 PM EDT
    I was also pondering how I felt about Season 2 after watching some Season 1 episodes. Season 2 seems to be aimed much more at the children with a less serious edge. Whilst I've thoroughly enjoyed the episodes (apart from the Peter Kay chap who brought the show way down in my opinion - am I the only person in Britain who doesn't know who this person is?) still I'm not enjoying it as much as last year.

Last year I was breathless for each episode and on the edge of my seat half the time. Now I'm enjoying seeing my children loving it to bits whilst I smile through the quieter bits.

The Werewolf and Girl in a Fireplace were fantastic but the rest (and I missed the Satan pit two parter) have been slightly less that brilliant. Only now with the fantastic trailer for next week and Army of Ghosts do I feel excited again.

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 09:25 PM EDT
    Someone made a point early on in the thread that it is necessary to have some more kid-friendly shows and so "Fear Her" fills that niche. (Didn't think much of it myself, but I did like "Love and Monsters!") I do agree with a lot of posts I see, we need a break from Earth.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Thursday, June 29 2006 @ 11:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Agreed. The 2006 series, unlike the 2005 series.... does not have the strong momentum heading into the climax and series finale. After The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit it the energy and momentum had come to a complete halt. I think a character like Captain Jack, or better yet, Captain Jack himself would have helped to a certain degree. I hope things pick up with The Army of Ghosts... I am banking on the fact that since they have hit rock bottom (just about) that they can only go up from here.

Cheers,
    Louis

So, I'm really interested to find out if RTD ever reads any of the forums like our's. Podshock has become quite a force, with a lot of good feedback from the UK and America.

It would be nice if we could somehow encourage him to read fan responses to episodes on this forum and others like it.

I doubt that he lives in a bubble and is completely unaware of forums like Podshock, but I've not found an avenue (haven't actually looked that much either) for Doctor Who fans to post comments directly to the Beeb.

If anyone is aware of such an avenue, please post it.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Friday, June 30 2006 @ 12:43 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Archie]The Werewolf and Girl in a Fireplace were fantastic but the rest (and I missed the Satan pit two parter) have been slightly less that brilliant. Only now with the fantastic trailer for next week and Army of Ghosts do I feel excited again.

Wow. I think you've missed the pinnacle of this season, Archie. The "Impossible Planet/Satan Pit" were fantastic, and I think the best two episodes of the season, and that's considering that until then I still love "School Reunion" and "Girl in the Fireplace".

Don't miss these episodes for long! They're quite good! Moody, scary, great sets, great characters, great payoff in the villain.

Excellent Who. "The Idiot's Lantern" and "Fear Her" are the low points of the season in my book.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, June 30 2006 @ 02:26 AM EDT
    I guess between I am a little surprised by all the really negative feed back for the last two episodes, both on the Forums and on the last Whocast.

Particularly, the concern that viewing figures might drop and there may be no renewal for a fourth series. These concerns seem to stem from the belief that hardcore, adult fans such as ourselves make up the majority of the viewership.

Firstly, I for one rate "Love and Monsters" as a pretty good episode (4 Myrtle moans), though I liked "fear her" somewhat less. However, three children watch Doctor Who in this household (versus one adult), and they seem to be enjoying the series just fine, in fact after the Impossible planet/Satan pit/School Reunion they seem to rate the idiot's Lantern as the next best episode (which is my least favorite).

I read that the UK viewing figures are healthy (though overall viewing figures are down, the audience share is still very high - just less people staying in and watching TV on nice Saturday evenings.)

I think the series is doing well with it's core viewership, if not us. Why should RTD be interested in our opinion's (read complaints) if we do not make up the bulk of the programmes core demographics?

The average age of Forum members/readers appears to be mid-thirties (if I interpret the poll results correctly) I believe that the average of actual UK Doctor Who viewers is probably about 18 and the expectations of that viewership may be somewhat different. Several of this seasons episodes target school kids fears and appeal(Math Teachers/Head Master that eat the pupils, Monsters under the bed, Monster's in the closet) and why shouldn't they be? This is the age most of us were when we first were scared by DW. Looking back some of those episodes were quite comical, and most likely would not have appealed to our parent's at the time.

Are we suffering from the "new Star Wars trilogy" syndrome, i.e. we are no longer part of the targeted audience, but have expectations that the show should be made for us.

I am now preparing to be lamblasted.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 30 2006 @ 08:25 AM EDT
    I won't Lamblast you, Doctor Whoovie - I think you hit the nail on the head (or rather, I agree with you, even about your show ratings) and as for "new star wars trilogy" perish the thought! I haven't endured years of light-hearted ribbing by peers to give up on Doctor Who now just cos of a few episodes that I didn't like "as much" as the ones which I liked "more than anything I've seen on telly in years." Smile I hereby make a stand to not be too serious or too critical of my favorite show of all time! I'm taking a forgiving attitude to episodes like "Fear Her" - Who's with me?

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Friday, June 30 2006 @ 08:40 AM EDT
    I'm willing to stand with you and be kind but I can't help offering some thoughts about how it could be even better!

After all if we don't speak out we'll end up with more Twin Dilemmas!

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, July 05 2006 @ 04:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] The use of the Olympics in this episode seemed rather extraneous to the plot too - apart from allowing the schmalzy bit with the Doctor running up with the torch, which was another self-indulgent moment.

The Olympics don't represent love and so all that waffle from Huw Edwards (the news announcer) sounded really forced.

Yeah. If they wanted love, they should have had the episode set in New York City on New Year's Eve with the Statue of Liberty being the symbol of love. At the end, the power of love could cause the statue to walk through Manhattan with the Doctor and Rose riding up in the crown.

sound familiar?

Wink

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 06 2008 @ 08:01 AM EDT
    You know, in the haste with which so many people seem to wish to dismiss this particular story, it's not surprising that we all seemed to miss an important point it makes. I must admit to missing it until my latest re-watch this week whilst examining Euros Lyn's apparent "mandate" to direct the episodes that contain young women in pivotal roles. If you're listening in 5.1 surround with your speakers balanced properly, and pay attention to Huw Edwards' live BBC broadcast during the disappearance of the people at the Olympic stadium, you can hear him likening the event to the "Battle of Torchwood". (I've listened to it in simple stereo headphones, and it's surprisingly hard to pick out — as earlier posts in this thread will attest— given how easily it can be heard in fully separated sound.)

Not only does this telegraph the as-yet-unseen (but already-filmed) episode, "Doomsday", it also explains that major thing we've *censored*ed about for two years with Torchwood. We've all been so focused on their proper introduction in "The Christmas Invasion" and "Tooth and Claw", that we've missed the point that Torchwood are indeed common knowledge by 2012. Truth is, the silence probably broke during the immediate aftermath of Canary Wharf back in 2007.

And if you think about it, it does make sense. I mean how could Torchwood's involvement in The Battle of Canary Wharf" really have been completely obscured when Torchwood 1's staff was so thoroughly destroyed? What's Jack (who is only assumed to be the highest-ranking Torchwood officer left after the battle) to have done? Recalled every bit of video shot of Daleks being sucked back into the void? Used his tiny staff to have put retcon in the water supply of the entire British Isles?

Hardly fair to blame Torchwood writers for paying more attention than canon than we have.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored