The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    CBC Newspaper Ad for The Long Game
    CBC Newspaper Ad for The Long Game
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Army Of Ghosts!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Army Of Ghosts! Views: 8101
     Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 07:11 AM EDT
    Not as strong for me as Bad Wolf mainly becuase it wasn't as self contained but some nice pure Doctor vs bad guy sparing. And Jackie as his companion - there's something I never expected to see!

Voidship existing outside our reality and therefor immune to Rose's extermination of the Daleks in the Parting of the Ways. Very clever writing and scripting. Roll on next week for what should be an incredible last episode...fingers crossed!

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 09:44 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    This episode opens up with Rose telling the story of her death. But wait a bloody minute, how can she be telling this story... framing it in the past-tense, if she is dead?

It was good enough for Billy Wilder in SUNSET BOULEVARD. There's a lot of literary/filmic precedence for this technique. :-)

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 09:52 AM EDT
    I'm going to use spoiler color text in case anyone has missed the "next week preview". Because it reveals a few things that may make my theory of Rose's death viable, which is similar to Louis's, but more involved.

First, let me say that having Rose narrate her own deat in the past tense is not ridiculous at all.

In the novel "The Lovely Bones", a dead girl narrates the story of her murder. It's a literary style.

But as for Rose's death, here's my theory. Highlight between the brackets to read:

[
    So in the preview we see not only Mickey, but Pete. Pete Tyler. That's right. Rose's Dad.

So my theory is that when this crisis is over, Mickey goes back to his universe, with Pete. And Jackie. Jackie meets Pete, who's now a hero, and real stand-up guy, not to mention financial success, and in his world, Jackie is dead.

But no one necessarily knows she's dead, so Jackie can go take her place seamlessly, and live with Pete, only not a flaky Pete - a successful, confident, heroic Pete.

And Rose goes with her. She can't live in a universe without her Mum, so she goes with Mickey and lives in their universe.

On our Earth, after all the destruction, she and Jackie would simply be seen as dead, since they are just - gone without a trace.

It all fits, and it makes room for Rose to leave (as we know she is going to) and she'll have to leave the Doctor, and that scene's going to be heart-wrenching, you just know it.

So there's my theory, not entirely mine, but pieced together from elements we've seen in the episode, and the preview.

]

But wow. What an episode! The one thing that seemed out of place, though, was the Doctor's confusion about Torchwood. When he emerged from the TARDIS, to an armed reception, with someone who obviously knew who he was and what hs TARDIS was, why didn't he say "Is this UNIT???" To him, it would certainly be a logical conclusion.

Instead he looked confused. Not what I'd expect from him in that situation. I'd expect him to think it was UNIT.

But I have to say that with the last two episodes, and "Idiot's Lantern", this is much more of what Doctor Who should be.

To those who watched this week's Confidential (ie: 30 minute Ad for Torchwood) they did the dumbest thing - "Hey, did any of you clever fans catch the hard-to-spot, sneaky Torchwood references in this year's episodes???"

Uh... you mean the ones on the head of the sledgehammer that kept hitting me in the face?

Still, I have to say I was quite happy with this episode, and I can't imagine not liking next week's.

Now the big question remains: Who replaces Rose?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 10:43 AM EDT
    If I was working on the show I'd be rubbing my hands together with glee watching these forums salivate over every single possible tidbit of a clue! And then don't forget, for the sake of fun and suspense the previews are probably always going to try to mislead us just a tiny bitSmile Laughing Out Loud the speculation is fun, thoSmile

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 11:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] ...

Instead he looked confused. Not what I'd expect from him in that situation. I'd expect him to think it was UNIT.

But I have to say that with the last two episodes, and "Idiot's Lantern", this is much more of what Doctor Who should be.

To those who watched this week's Confidential (ie: 30 minute Ad for Torchwood) they did the dumbest thing - "Hey, did any of you clever fans catch the hard-to-spot, sneaky Torchwood references in this year's episodes???"

Uh... you mean the ones on the head of the sledgehammer that kept hitting me in the face?

Still, I have to say I was quite happy with this episode, and I can't imagine not liking next week's.

Bravo Sean... All interesting points and I your take on Rose's departure seems reasonable.. we both agree that (highlight between brackets for possible spoiler) [ she will relocate and 'die' in name only ].

It is sort of surprising that UNIT is not even mentioned... perhaps next week.

I agree about this week's Confidential... how could any fan miss all the Torchwood references this year? At least we can look forward to no more references in next year's series... or we can hope the references ended in the 2006 series. I am sure there will be something else next year that will be sledgehammered at us.

Yeah, if Freema Agyeman character, Adeola is really dead, she won't be the new companion that she was reported to be in the tabloids... unless it is the alternate universe Adeola that joins the Doctor?

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 11:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Yeah, if Freema Agyeman character, Adeola is really dead, she won't be the new companion that she was reported to be in the tabloids... unless it is the alternate universe Adeola that joins the Doctor?

Oh yes, and those tabloids are just oh-so-accurate. By the way, did you know I just won the Miss America pageant? Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 11:26 AM EDT
    Yeah, Louis, with an alternative universe, anything's possible. The only thing we know can't happen is that the alternate universe's Rose will join him as companion, as I'm not sure he'd take to a little yappy dog.

Still, clues to who's playing the companion has been fairly well hidden from us so far... hopefully it will be a nice surprise.

Actually, I was thrilled to see Mickey in this episode. I didn't read any spoilers leading up to this one (except speculation it would contain both Cybermen AND Daleks) so I didn't at all expect to see him. Great surprise.

And yes, I was happy to see him.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 11:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

A couple of them were a little more subtle. Most of them qualify as more "slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick" though.
    [Quote 

Especially given that the attractive woman tipped by the tabloids appears to be dead.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 12:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Yeah, if Freema Agyeman character, Adeola is really dead, she won't be the new companion that she was reported to be in the tabloids... unless it is the alternate universe Adeola that joins the Doctor?

Or it could have been the AU Adeola or a clone which was killed.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 01:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] ...

Actually, I was thrilled to see Mickey in this episode. I didn't read any spoilers leading up to this one (except speculation it would contain both Cybermen AND Daleks) so I didn't at all expect to see him. Great surprise.

And yes, I was happy to see him.

They accidentally gave away that Mickey was going to be back because he can be seen in the trailer last week for this episode, albeit very briefly he was in it, along with is Peter Tyler as well.

Last week's trailer for this week's episode had several scenes that were not in this week's episode at all, of course, we can assume they will be seen in next week's episode which this story continues in.

It was nice to see Mickey again, but I wasn't surprised by it due to the spoiler last week.

Although I still enjoyed Army of Ghosts I wish I didn't know as much as I did going into it... but it is sort of hard for me to stay completely spoiler free these days... which is a bit unfortunate.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 01:46 PM EDT

LOL couldnt miss them could we........

BUT i watched season 1 finale other day and it had referance to Torchwood in it too!!! i think its one of the questions the ann droid asks. So Torchwood set up goes back before season 2 to season 1.....

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 02:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Slug] To those who watched this week's Confidential (ie: 30 minute Ad for Torchwood) they did the dumbest thing - "Hey, did any of you clever fans catch the hard-to-spot, sneaky Torchwood references in this year's episodes???"

LOL couldnt miss them could we........

BUT i watched season 1 finale other day and it had referance to Torchwood in it too!!! i think its one of the questions the ann droid asks. So Torchwood set up goes back before season 2 to season 1.....

It's first mention was in Bad Wolf, episode 12 of the 2005 series. It was included in the summery in this week's Confidential: Welcome to Torchwood episode.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 02:40 PM EDT
    Billie Piper wants to leave the part of Rose, but does Rose really die. Do you think that after being exposed to the heart of the tardis and the discussion that follows about how they both can see the whole of time that maybe Rose is a evolving human into a timelord. Jacky also said that after all the traveling with the doctor that you would not be human any longer. I dont know.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 03:11 PM EDT
    Lots of theories going about; time to add my 10 cents worth.

The Genesis arc:

Contains either Davros or the Emporor. It was Dalek shaped and the Daleks said that it must be protected at all costs.

So after the time war a faction of Daleks escaped with a void ship to preserve one or the other and to ensure that the Daleks survived. A void ship in the void would be immune to the time war.

I think Rose will re enter the Tardis (perhaps to recreate Bad Wolf) and this time the Tardis will take her.

She has made noises about becoming the Doctor and RTD said he didn't see why not.

So the Tardis swallows Rose which means to all intents andpurposes she is dead but also not keaving the possibility open for her to re emerge from the Tardis at some time in the future as the Doctor.

Otherwise you would have the problem that she isn't a Timelord.

Try this for a possibilty:

The Doctor is dying and there are no more regenerations left..... He enters the Tardis to die and the Tardis weaves some magic from its heart.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Sunday, July 02 2006 @ 03:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by Abersoch]
    Crumbs! You're a harsh task-master. If that episode of Doctor Who doesn't impress you, what on Earth would?
    Every other episode this year has impressed me more than the ones involving Cybermen. Now I'll allow that something fantastic could be coming in this final episode which really sews all this stuff up in a satisfying li'l package, but so far, the Cybermen episodes are the biggest waste of time and money since the series returned. They've been ill-structured, ill-plotted and ill-advised. They have never been less scary in Doctor Who history. Seriously, for all the moaning and *censored*in' people did about "Aliens of London/WWW III" and" Boom Town", it's amazing how much better structurally that arc was than the Cyber-Story-So-Far. There was mystery there, intrigue. The Cyber-Story just hasn't given us that in itself. The Cybermen have been, once again, utterly and completely wasted.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored