The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Bertie Basset
    Bertie Basset
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Army Of Ghosts!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Army Of Ghosts! Views: 7875
     Monday, July 03 2006 @ 09:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] On seening this episode the "Ghosts" reminded me very much of the shadow's which were so menacing in Alan Garner's children's classic book "Elidor". I guess Brit's only will be able to comment on this as I was unable to buy the book for my kids in the US and had to obtain it on a trip to the UK.

Also I recently listened to the sixth Doctor audio "Project Lazerus", Torchwood seems to be represented as an exact duplicate of the Forge from this story.

Good Ep though, I hope everything is not resolved in the last 10 seconds with a satsuma.

Project Lazerus was a goodie and its predesessor Project Twilight spawned several different story arcs which ran through the BF series including Lazerus and Zargreus. You're right Torchwood does seem like the forge. How many times is it now that that RTD has gone to Big Finish for his inspiration? If readers of these pages and fans of the new series are not listening to Big Finish they probably should be.

Forget the shooty dog thing!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 09:44 AM EDT
    whew. Vacations really mess up the ability to get in early with the comments on the forum...

Loved the last few minutes: Mickey shows up and I let out a high pitched girly squeek (not too unusual, since I am female, but still not one of my prouder moments) - I hadn't noticed him in the preview last week. The void ship opens and I say quite loudly something that sounds like "moly fit!" I didn't believe the rumors about both being together in the final, so I was truly taken by surprise.

So, two baddies in the final two episodes, while it should be interesting, I can only think of the Batman movie sequels (not Batman Begins, the other ones). I always felt that by putting two "archnemisis" in the same movie you were only showing a weakness in your writing skills, as you really weren't using either baddie in the right way... Here's hoping that doesn't hold up for The Doctor.

When I imagined Torchwood, I never imagined a fascist organization. Don't hate me Ken, but taking alien technology for the good of yourself reminds me of the renegade faction of the NSA in Stargate SG-1... without the hospitality unit, of course.

As to everyones comments on the Doctor being exiled from Earth... well, I'd say its more likely that he'll get some sort of "exemption" on visiting Earth. Remember that RTD has said the Doctor will be Earth based, so it'll be kind of hard to exile him... he'd only be able to visit Earth Pre-Queen Victoria....

And one last comment for now: I do hope they really kill Rose off. Let's not beat around the bush with this -- let's just do it and get it over with!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 02:00 PM EDT
    It just struck me that the Genesis Ark is almost certainly a way for the Daleks to reintroduce the Daleks to our (or at least the Doctor's) universe since their untimely removal.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 02:51 PM EDT
    The void ship had the Dalaks, in the Genesis Ark will be Davros hmm any connection to Genesis of the Dalaks maybe eh that Tom Baker episode.

Also the Black Dalak is helping to guard the Genesis Ark.

Cybermen lasers dont hurt the Dalaks by looks of things in the next weeks preview, as the Dalak shields seem to stop them, dunno what a Dalak laser would do to a Cyberman??

Come to think of it when did Cybermen get those blinking lasers that pop out their arms.....

I'm very sure its Davros in the Genesis Ark for sure just look at the shape of the Ark very Davros shape isn't it....

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 03:06 PM EDT
    So just to put everyone's minds to rest I pulled out the ol' tarot cards just to find out what's inside the Ark and you know what card I got? The Emperor. So there you go folks - the stars have spoken.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 03:08 PM EDT

Davros may be too obvious... (calling it the "Genesis Ark")... They may just be leading us to think it is Davros, so I suspect it won't be... but rather be some sort of mechanism or device or such. Whatever the case, we shall see soon enough I suspect. It should be interesting nonetheless.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 03:18 PM EDT
    Now THAT's what I am talking about! What an episode! Sure, they were the Cybusmen, but I rank this as one of the top episodes of Series 2. Here's what I think makes this classic Who:

1. Torchwood. Yvonne is brilliant and once again, we see humans playing around with things they know nothing about, ignoring the Doctor's advice. Stupid apes!

2. New, improved Mickey. Could he be the Doctor's new companion? I think he could keep up now. Certainly he isn't the "tin dog" anymore.

3. One hell of a mess for the Doctor to fix. While I agree that this episode doesn't have the fright factor of "The Impossble Planet/The Satan Pit," having the entire planet suddenly becoming occupied territory is just the over-the-top, no-holds-barred kind of situation that distinguishes this episode from the silliness that is "Love and Monsters." That, and here come the Daleks, and we all know SOMETHING is going to happen to Rose. This isn't going to be neatly solved with a well-aimed piece of fruit...

The pacing of the show was excellent, in my opinion, considering it is a two-parter. The development of the "ghostshift" from a worldwide fascination to the threat that it is played out very well. While a few on this forum have complained about showing the Cyberman too early, I think it was a good way to show us the underlying internal conspiracy which led to the "ghosts" fully materializing.

And the interplay between Yvonne and the Doctor is stellar. For once, someone knows more about him than he does about them, even if he knows more about what they are playing around with than they do.

All in all, it ranks up there with the Beast two-parter and "School Reunion" as my favorites from Series 2.

--Joe

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 05:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform]
    2. New, improved Mickey. Could he be the Doctor's new companion? I think he could keep up now. Certainly he isn't the "tin dog" anymore.

--Joe

snip lots of good points -

As to Mickey - since he's been fighting Cyberman in the other dimention - surely he should be snapped up by Torchwood. They don't want the general public to know what's happenning so he's better inside the organisation.

That's is unless he goes back to the alternate Earth.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 05:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    snip lots of good points -

Thanks.

I found one more exchange in the episode very interesting. The Doctor tells Yvonne that a 21st-century earth cannot be allowed to have the alien weaponry that Torchwood possesses. Her response basically can be summed up as "Says who?"

In a universe apparently down to only one Time Lord, she makes a valid point...

--Joe!

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 05:39 PM EDT
    The Doctors next companion is Captain Jack he is retruning to Doctor Who in series 3 to travel with the Doctor again so say the Daily Star newspaper...

so that will make 1 new unknown at this time companion and captain jack as companion 2 woot woot, and then i presume he will leave sometime series 3 to goto Torchwood although the paper said he was going to travel with the Doctor in series 3 as a companion for abit.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 05:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Slug] Cybermen lasers dont hurt the Dalaks by looks of things in the next weeks preview, as the Dalak shields seem to stop them, dunno what a Dalak laser would do to a Cyberman??

Oh come on. Can't you guess? I bet at least one of them will fall to his knees and his head will explode for no good reason (not that I'm complaining. You've got to have cybermen with exploding heads. Could also do with a couple of exploding Daleks thrown in for good measure too.) Wink

As to Capt Jack joining the Doctor for next week and going into season 3, I thought that Torchwood would be airing between seasons 2 and 3 and since Capt Jack seems to be in episode 1 of Torchwood (if the Confidential sneak peak was anything to go by) I don't think he can. If I had to be pinned down to suggest a potential companion, it would be Jake. Of course, having said that, I've no doubt put the mockers on it and he'll die in the season finale next week. Confused

Personally I'm still hoping they'll plump for the corpse of that Torchwood girl who died and the Doctor could hang her from the coat rack by the door of the TARDIS and have imaginary conversations by grasping her cheeks and making her open her mouth in time to his high-pitched squeaky words in a hilarious comedy manner. Eek!

.....well come on! It would certainly break new ground in Doctor Who!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 05:57 PM EDT
    Abersoch maybe The Doctor will just start talking to his crooked finger in a creaky voice, a la The Shining.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 07:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Abersoch maybe The Doctor will just start talking to his crooked finger in a creaky voice, a la The Shining.

red rum

Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 10:14 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch]Oh come on. Can't you guess? I bet at least one of them will fall to his knees and his head will explode for no good reason (not that I'm complaining. You've got to have cybermen with exploding heads. Could also do with a couple of exploding Daleks thrown in for good measure too.) Wink

Well I think its in the Tardisode, or was it the Confidential, but your right Abersoch you do get to see at least one Cybusman's head exploding, but only after it seems he fires shot upon shot at a Dalek with no effect and it only takes the Dalek one shot and HEY PRESTO its boiled over Cybusman and spaghetti and milk sauce for everyone - its a fairly dramatic scene and shows, I believe, just how ruthless and mean the Daleks really are and why, possibly, the Cybusmen decide to try to ally with the Daleks because they realise that ultimatly they are going to get their tin ass's kicked.

You are rogue elements... You are incompatible... You will be... Deleted!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 10:44 PM EDT
    So since RTD in the commentary says that the 3-D glasses are important to the story next week, what does everyone think there purpose is?

Maybe something to do with the Genesis Ark....

psibob

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed