The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 29
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 29
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  Army Of Ghosts!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Army Of Ghosts! Views: 7955
     Monday, July 03 2006 @ 10:55 PM EDT
    No the 3D glasses are just another clear case of me being spied on by the entire Doctor Who team, I've carried a pair of those around in my purse for years, seriously! along with one of those red mylar fortune-telling fish.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 11:17 PM EDT
    Yeah, I always have about a dozen pairs of 3D red/blue glasses by my computer.

I do 3D for a hobby, and for a living.

There's even a Doctor Who connection.

But to me, the whole 3D glasses thing was just dumb. We've never seen him pull those out before, right? Ever? In the whole series? Why now? I have to wonder what RTD has up his sleeve here...

Going to be an interesting week of waiting.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 11:27 PM EDT
    I win Sean, I don't do 3D for a hobby or for a living - I keep them with me for the same reason the Doctor Does - JUST IN CASE. Don't get caught without a pair - you never know when a voidship will appearWink

Wait, it's clear to me now - he has to wear the glasses or else his eyes would just bug right out of his head. Bless Mr. Tennant, he's dreamy but he's definately got some giant eyeballs.

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 12:12 AM EDT
    I think that the 3d glasses are just a sign of the Doctors eccentricity which seems to have been steadily growing throughout this series

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 12:18 AM EDT
    Huh? The Doctor is eccentric??? Ruffled shirts, long scarves, celery sticks, garish jackets and 3d glasses aren't the norm? Boy does my wardrobe need an overhall Big Grin

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 12:34 AM EDT
    With all the talk about Cybermen and Daleks, there's just a few things I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet:

The Doctor singing the theme to Ghostbusters...

The existance (in the Who-verse) of a show about ghosts (Ghos*censored*ch=Ghosthunters). Is this a jib at the Sci-Fi channel...

Jackie has the "every channel on the planet" cable package (unless Japanese TV is common in Britain.) That or the Doctor did some more jigger-pokery to her remote...

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:44 AM EDT
    Well I'm so glad that the doctor went through all that trouble destroying his homeworld and annihilating his entire race (supposedly the most powerful in the universe). I'm sure it was so worth it just to have the Daleks show up yet again and again. Nice. Rolling Eyes

And actually, I too could do w/o the Daleks showing up again already. I mean, I don't necessarily dislike the pepperpots, but Cybermen alone is enough for me for now.

And I hope those aren't some of the same sets for Torchwood as we'll be seeing in the actual series. (Wait a second, doesn't it take place in Cardiff?) I thought the Torchwood interior looked kind of cheap, like a low-budget version of SD6 or the secret, secret CIA headquartersin the show Alias.

And btw, for whatever reason, I never really hated or disliked Mickey as much as everyone else always has.

Assuming Rose and her whole family goes away from the series after the next episode, does this mean we have to get reintroduced to a whole new family set or group of linked characters again in season 3? Earth-based as well? And by the precedent set by Rose having such a fleshed out character, does this mean that every companion to follow Rose will also have such a delveloped backstory? I for one will be glad to be finally done with this spin-off show Rose Who. I kind of like the Doctor being more of the center of attention.

And that whole Ghostbusters thing got me a little worried. I started having flashbacks of Love & Monsters. The Doctor looked retarded and Rose sounded ridiculous. Looked like a deleted scene to me.

The "B"

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 08:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] Well I'm so glad that the doctor went through all that trouble destroying his homeworld and annihilating his entire race (supposedly the most powerful in the universe). I'm sure it was so worth it just to have the Daleks show up yet again and again. Nice. Rolling Eyes

Methinks we have not seen the last of the Gallifreyans...

[Quote  by:  The Bachelor] And btw, for whatever reason, I never really hated or disliked Mickey as much as everyone else always has.

Never hated him, but he was quite a whiney boy before meeting Ricky and seeing "himself" in a whole new light.

[Quote  by:  The Bachelor]Assuming Rose and her whole family goes away from the series after the next episode, does this mean we have to get reintroduced to a whole new family set or group of linked characters again in season 3? Earth-based as well? And by the precedent set by Rose having such a fleshed out charater, does this mean that every companion to follow Rose will also have such a delveloped backstory? I for one will be glad to be finally done with this spin-off show Rose Who. I kind of like the Doctor being more of the center of attention.

The Doctor has always been the constant in the show, and Rose certainly isn't the typical TV companion we are used to, but the show has always been about both the Doctor and his companions. The other TARDIS passengers are certainly more than animated props (well, other than K9 and Kamelion, perhaps...). Did you feel the same way about Jo or Sarah Jane or Ace?

[Quote  by:  The Bachelor]And that whole Ghostbusters thing got me a little worried. I started having flashbacks of Love & Monsters. The Doctor looked retarded and Rose sounded ridiculous. Looked like a deleted scene to me.

The "B"

Using the word "retarded" as an insult really isn't that appropriate.

Would you delete scenes of the Second Doctor playing his recorder or cross-dressing? Scenes of the Fourth Doctor offering jelly babies? Would you CGI out the celery stick worn on the Fifth Doctor's lapel for three years? The Doctor's whimsical nature has been more or less a fixture for the entire run of the series, expressing itself moreso in some incarnations than others. The problem with "Love and Monsters" wasn't the Doctor acting silly. It was of the scriptwriter watching a little too much Benny Hill before sitting down to write. Wink

--Joe

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 08:56 AM EDT
    I've been pondering this ep since I saw it Saturday night.

I'm wondering if Torchwood gets the better of the Doctor, possibly with the help of Jackie. They force him to leave without Rose, or tell him that she is dead.

Torchwood would also tell Rose that the Doctor died, leaving them both to believe the other is gone. Or Jackie keeps Rose away from the Doctor until after he leaves, and then tells her he's dead. I'm taking my cues off of that conversation about "settling down" Rose has with Jackie early on in the ep, for the most part.

Now, since RTD decided to make a love story between the both of them the main undercurrent of this series (totally going against classic Who IMHO) Rose could very well believe that she "died" when she heard the news that the Doctor is gone for good. Heck, she's pouted enough over it this past season - reminding me of my 3 year old nephew, in fact.

Mickey does seem to have grown up quite a bit - I wonder if he's grown away from Rose. Wouldn't that just stick in her craw? It certainly seems, from the little screen time in Army of Ghosts, that he's gotten a lot more self-assured and confident (which I will admit was evident earlier in the series.) Rose is a very strong-willed and determind young woman (I should know, I'm one myself - well, maybe not the young part...) and I don't think that Mickey would go back to their relationship in the submissive role he appeared to have back in the 2005 series.

So I think Rose is going to be left on Earth to start completely over.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 09:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] ...
    And I hope those aren't some of the same sets for Torchwood as we'll be seeing in the actual series. (Wait a second, doesn't it take place in Cardiff?) I thought the Torchwood interior looked kind of cheap, like a low-budget version of SD6 or the secret, secret CIA headquartersin the show Alias.

No I don't think those will be the same sets. As you said, the Torchwood we see in the Torchwood series will be different as it is based in Cardiff (on the rift). In the most recent Doctor Who: Confidential (Welcome to Torchwood) they show the new sets under construction as John Barrowman gets a sneak preview of them before shooting begins.

From the comments that RTD made during the commentaries, I think he may had been a bit disappointed on how the Torchwood sets looked on screen in the final product... I believe he felt they looked too small or not as big when you see them in the episode.

There may be elements from this episode that might be used in part in the new Torchwood series. For example, the heavy door sealing the room with the void ship is the same heavy door we saw in the episode Dalek where the Dalek was maintained as a prisoner. They simply reused the same prop. So that door may make its way to the Torchwood series now perhaps... Otherwise I suspect the sets in the new series to be completely different from what we see here in Torchwood Tower.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 11:41 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform]
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor]And that whole Ghostbusters thing got me a little worried. I started having flashbacks of Love & Monsters. The Doctor looked retarded and Rose sounded ridiculous. Looked like a deleted scene to me.

The "B"

Using the word "retarded" as an insult really isn't that appropriate.

--Joe

It wasn't an insult at all. Only a description. I love David Tennent and the 10th Doctor (1-9 as well), I really do! Big Grin
    I wasn't trying to demean anyone, honestly.

But please, by all means, send all the dissenting mail my way.

The "B"

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 04:24 PM EDT
    Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud THIS IS MY CRACKPOT THEORY! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
    Ok get this...... there have been loads of music references throughout series 2, so get this, the Doctor will defeat the Cybermen by getting ontop of the torchwood building, with Yvonne Hartman on guitar, and start singing "'Cos you are gold! Always believe in your soul!" "you've got the power to know etc..etc.." and all the cybermen will be destroyed!!!!! REMEMBER: IF IT ENDS UP LIKE THIS - YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

"Now Brigadeer, have I ever led you astray?" "On many ocassions!" "Ah.. well... this will be the exception!"

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 06:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform]
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    snip lots of good points -

Thanks.

I found one more exchange in the episode very interesting. The Doctor tells Yvonne that a 21st-century earth cannot be allowed to have the alien weaponry that Torchwood possesses. Her response basically can be summed up as "Says who?"

In a universe apparently down to only one Time Lord, she makes a valid point...

--Joe!

As the new improved Mickey would say - sometimes the Doctor gets it wrong.

The American military already have a laser weapon which is proven working from a ground based platform and they aren't that far off using it mounted in a aircraft, so technically speaking the human race is already using particle based weapons. The USA and Russia also aren't that far off rolling out weapons based around microwaves, which technically is a particle weapons also so that makes it we have at least 2 weapons platforms that are close to in use both based in particle technology... sometimes the Doctor gets it wrong because what he said we cannot have we've already created ourselves.

You are rogue elements... You are incompatible... You will be... Deleted!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 08:28 PM EDT
    Sometimes the Doctor gets it wrong and sometimes others do Big Grin

True; The U.S. has had a laser tank since the 1960;s and true Microwave (and other sci-fi) weapons were part of the various S.D.I. projects. But we didn't see the laser tanks rolled out during "Shock and Awe" did we?

There are inherent problems with these weapons.

In the case of the Laser Tank it requires such a massive power supply that to only way of using it is to hook it up to a power station (Batterea anyone?) and for that reason we are unlikely to see any of these weapons for quite a while. How long? I would guestimate at least 20 years after we master "cold fusion tecnology" the current holy grail. Along with that we also need to nail down "Super Conductors."

So the Doctor is actually right. In this period of the 21st Century; when presented with a hand held particle beam weapon, we should not have it!

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Wednesday, July 05 2006 @ 08:46 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] Jackie has the "every channel on the planet" cable package (unless Japanese TV is common in Britain.) That or the Doctor did some more jigger-pokery to her remote...

the fact that she had every channel on the planet didn't concern me. What I couldn't help wondering as I watched that scene was, "why doesn't the Tardis translate the TV shows?" Granted, we wouldn't have gotten the "universal" aspect of the ghost shift if it had, but it still seemed strange to me.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed