The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    At United Fan Con
    At United Fan Con
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  What ONE thing would you change?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    What ONE thing would you change? Views: 2242
     Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 07:22 PM EDT
    The idea of changing any aspect of the series was mentioned in the round table discussion podcast and it got me thinking what I would have changed.

If I had been able to change just one thing with the last series it would have been to take The Girl in the Fireplace out of season 2 and put it in season 3, set in a time just after the Doctor has lost Rose. It would make more sense for me to have it there because:

1.) the activities of Mickey and Rose in that episode were kind of extraneous to the plot.

2.) the Doctor - suffering from the loss of his assistant - would have been more believable falling for someone like Mdm Du Pompadour quite quickly as a way of finding a companion he could relate to, after losing such a close soul-mate as Rose. The subsequent ending of that episode would have been all the more tragic with the events that occurred at the finale and would have underscored more deeply his reluctance to renew old friendships with past companions once they've gone.

It could have been provided a good excuse not to have a companion at all for that episode - although it would still be believable if it was one of the first adventures with Martha since it would be more believable that a close bond hadn't yet developed between them. The only possible reason I could think of having a companion in that episode is to provide a sounding board off which to explain the plot for the benefit of the audience.

What does anyone else think? Do you have other ideas for changes to the series so far?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 07:38 PM EDT

This happened to The Runaway Bride. It was supposed to be episode 2, but when RTD learned of the commissioning of the second Christmas special at the BAFTAs in 2005, it was moved to that slot and we got Tooth and Claw in its place.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 07:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] it would still be believable if it was one of the first adventures with Martha since it would be more believable that a close bond hadn't yet developed between them.

My first reaction to that particular thought is that one of the reasons the Doctor did leave was because he knew (without even consciously thinking about it) that Rose had developed enough through his influence to handle herself. And with Mickey there, she'd have someone else to help her if he didn't come back.

But a brand new companion -- I think the Doctor would not abandon that companion for anything, since she would be just "learning the ropes" as it were.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 08:40 PM EDT
    There are THREE things I would change about both series one and series two.

1) get off earth

2) get off earth

3) perhaps at some point they could have told a story that didn't take place on or around earth, or involve humans? Or in other words, get off earth.

Heath Holland

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 08:50 PM EDT
    Make the connective thread running through the season stronger. Bad Wolf was a multimedia experiment; Torchwood was really all about product placement. For season 3, I want something a bit more than a "spot the reference" game.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 05:24 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] There are THREE things I would change about both series one and series two.

1) get off earth

2) get off earth

3) perhaps at some point they could have told a story that didn't take place on or around earth, or involve humans? Or in other words, get off earth.

I slightly disagree.

For one, nothing wrong with involving humans. A lot of the classic space-based stories still had humans in them.

For another, I have no issue with having a lot less stories set around contemporary Earth, but abandoning it altogether would pretty much turn me off.
    As well as space travel, the TARDIS is a time machine. And there's a whole lot of time out there just in our own planet. That and I have to admit to being a time-travel freak. Wink

Many other shows out there travel to other worlds, but nothing else out there at the moment is a really good time travel show. But if the TARDIS left Earth and spent a whole season purely visiting other planets, what's to really distinguish it from StarGate/Trek/etc?
    It's not that I don't want offworld stories at all. More would be nice. But losing Rose has cut a tie to this decade, and I really want to see more stuff set in history. As opposed to where over half of the Earthbound tales being set in 200X.

As to what I'd personally change?
    Probably the formulaic nature of the single-part episodes. Ideally with more multi-part stories. But basically try to avoid the Discover the threat of the week, and have it resolved by 40 minutes in syndrome. It's what I loved about the Girl in the Fireplace, in that most things did get wrapped up by the Doctor. But he still didn't find the whole truth, we only did at the last moment, and there were still some questions unanswered. Heck, even Love and Monsters provoked more discussion on what was really behind events than some episodes, even the better ones. Love it or loathe it, it wasn't a Who By Numbers. (although hopefully the next experiment they try will be more successful)

Maybe have an exploration episode. Or something where the Doctor is requested to intervene - rather than just stumbling onto something. Maybe even two separate adventures on the one visit.
    I know that budget contraints probably do limit the amount of multi-part stories they can do these days, so I really just want to see single episodes that don't look like stock padding.

Tiggs Panther - Learning the hard way that a working chameleon circuit is not useful in a crowded parking lot.

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 08:46 AM EDT
    Tiggs, I don't want all the stories off of earth, but at least one story away from earth (like the Satan Pit, only with the survivors not being called humans) doesn't seem too far fetched. Clearly, earth played a large role in the show, but that doesn't mean we can't go to other planets. Rose even told Mickey about some of the things she'd seen on other planets, so we know she's been. I'd have liked to have seen them at some point.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 08:56 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] Tiggs, I don't want all the stories off of earth, but at least one story away from earth (like the Satan Pit, only with the survivors not being called humans) doesn't seem too far fetched. Clearly, earth played a large role in the show, but that doesn't mean we can't go to other planets. Rose even told Mickey about some of the things she'd seen on other planets, so we know she's been. I'd have liked to have seen them at some point.

Hutch, I do agree w/ you - I want off Earth and for the story not to revolve around earth culture. I'd be okay with aliens who are humanoid, I just want something where the cultural base isn't Western European....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 09:00 AM EDT
    1) Get off Earth.

2) Seriously. Get off Earth.

3) No, I mean it. Get the hell of the Earth.

Really, folks. Earth stories are quite common during all the Doctors' reigns. No problem. I understand that.

But you have to have shows off the Earth, away from Earth, even if they do involve humans. I would say (without checking) that most of the previous Who stories that took place off the Earth involved humans in some way, and that's ok.

"The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" was a good example. Do more of that.

And don't forget to include aliens. I'd like to see a story set on the homeworld of the Sisters of Plenitude. Those cats were awesome! It would be a shame to waste such beautiful aliens on a one-off, where they were all evil.

I'd love to see a story involving the same race, but under different circumstances.

I would like to see them explore the war between the Rutans and Sontarans.

Basically, we came to Doctor Who to see strange new worlds, not the same strange old one. (Well, at least not all the time!)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 01:10 PM EDT
    I agree that they should maybe revisit some of the older adversaries, such as the Sontarans or Ice Warriors. Maybe even a third trip to Peladon. I am glad they got rid of Rose, that was a positive step. I don't have anything against Billie Piper, but I felt that Rose was more of a groupie than companion. And maybe make the control room more like the original. The original seemed more science based, the new one seems more fantasy based.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 02:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  indiana_brian] ...And maybe make the control room more like the original. The original seemed more science based, the new one seems more fantasy based.

Agreed. The whole series itself seems more fantasy based now than before. This has became more clear in the 2006 series especially with episodes such as Love & Monsters and Fear Her.

My main complaint with the new TARDIS interior console is that is that it's controls seem more ornamental than functional. Sure it looks cool, but much of it doesn't convey a sense that it actually works.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 04:32 PM EDT
    And the "classic" series' ones did?

I dunno, to me, the only TARDIS console that I thought conveyed a sense of specific controls having specific purposes was the McGann one. And that's only cause we saw it in operation exactly once, so there was never a chance to see him push the same buttons week in and week out so we could "fix" a pattern in our minds. About the only thing I remember being "standard" was that somewhere around the JNT era, they finally agreed which lever ya pulled to open the doors.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 04:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] And the "classic" series' ones did?

Yep, more so than the current controls on the console. Though the new swiveling monitor on the console today does seem functional.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 05:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] There are THREE things I would change about both series one and series two.

1) get off earth

2) get off earth

Two things -

Get off Earth

And make each series 22 episodes.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 07:29 PM EDT
    Wow, the "get of earthers" have spoken. Maybe we should form a coalition and send nasty letters to RTD, saying the likes of "if you don't get the doctor off of earth, we'll key your car," or perhaps, "guns don't kill people, too many Doctor Who stories on earth kill people."
    That would really show him.

Heath Holland

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages