The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    A Baker Baker Shaker
    A Baker Baker Shaker
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Club Matters »  SETI@home GEDWP team?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SETI@home GEDWP team? Views: 3688
     Thursday, October 19 2006 @ 04:35 PM EDT

Louis,

I noticed that you have included a link to a SETI@home team: Gallifreyan Embassy (Doctor Who: Podshock) in the links directory. I was wondering whether you wanted others to join the team and whether you want to actively promote it in the forum...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, October 19 2006 @ 04:41 PM EDT
    Hey Taras,

Yep... I wanted to write up an article last night on it and post to the site... but I ran out of time and never got around to doing it. The article would announce the new team that formed.

I started with SETI at Home back in 1999, but had taken a little hiatus from the program. I recently returned to it and thought it would be cool to have our own team.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, October 20 2006 @ 04:07 PM EDT

Well, we've got a total of three people now... I finally got around to joining the team.

I didn't jump onto SETI@home until April 2001, but with the mumber of computers I had allowed me to build up an impressive amount of work units. In the classic SETI@home era, my CPUs contributed over 16.6 years of compute time. Mind you, the year my dual G5 put in meant many more work units than my 6100 or 5300... Actually, the dual G5 could compute 6 work units before my iMac G4 could even manage one.

Taras

Saturday, October 21 2006 @ 05:00 PM EDT

I started back in 1999, back in the Mac OS 9 days... Processed many work units then (now termed as "classic")... but when I migrated to Mac OS X, I never installed the version that was available at that time for OS X... so I had stopped participating in SETI@home --- at least while home. I think I still had a PC I was using at the office running it. Though I had stupidly set up another account with SETI@home for the office PC, and now that I would like to merge the two accounts I have, I don't believe I can. So I am not being credited for the units I processed with my original PC at the office. When the PC was replaced with a newer system, again, I never got around to installing SETI@home on that...

So it is only this week that I am back actively participating in the program using their new BOINC software. I still only have it set up at the office, running on two machines (an old Mac and an IBM PC) at this time. I may install it on an old Mac here at home as well.

Technically, I still have the classic SETI@home screensaver on the old G3 Mac here at home which was initially set up back in 1999 with SETI@home, but it is so rare that I boot up that machine, that I am sure whatever work unit it has on it, has long since expired. Besides, I am not sure if they are even still serving up units to the "classic" SETI@home screensaver today.

I have about five other Macs I could install it on, but I doubt I will... mostly because they are systems that either are hardly on these days or which I do more processor intensive work on which I rather not bog down with anything in the background that is not necessary for the work I need to do. Though there is one old Mac that I am have been contemplating using as a file-server and communications systems which would be on all the time that I may run it on.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 01:43 AM EDT
    I'm on the team as darthkosh (my ye olde yahoo ID)

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 04:09 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] I'm on the team as darthkosh (my ye olde yahoo ID)

I think I have seen that name before. Would you happen to use it elsewhere on the net, Second Life or perhaps XBox Live?

Welcome to the team.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 10:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  gwensdad2003] I'm on the team as darthkosh (my ye olde yahoo ID)

I think I have seen that name before. Would you happen to use it elsewhere on the net, Second Life or perhaps XBox Live?

Welcome to the team.

Cheers,
    Louis

No, but I've seen at least 2 or 3 other people who have used it for their e-mail accounts, etc.
    Never been on 2nd life or Xbox live (I've got a PS2 and want a WII)

Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 11:30 AM EDT
    Just a note for new users.

The server seems to shut down at night.

I have tried to link two computers at night and they have both come back with error messages saying that I need to configure port 80 to work with my firewall.

Port 80 is the http port so if you can get a web page the port is open.

When I have gone back to "attach" the following morning everything works fine.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 02:04 PM EDT

Three and half year old units? OK, I realize I just re-started analyzing work units again after taking a few years off. I remember during the "classic" era of SETI@home, the work units I was analyzing were about a year old. But now I see all my work units are from May 2003. Is this the standard practice with SETI@home now? Or am I being served old units because of my long hiatus from the program? With everyone involved in the program, are we really three and half years behind now? Or are we re-analyzing units that were already processed?

Just curious...

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 02:16 PM EDT
    Iv'e had it running background for so long I dont even check any more. Wink Yeah I remember a while ago they were trying to work a third pass on all data. That might explain why I am processing data from May 02 2003. Also there were problems with the Arecibo data for several months. Couldn't find a general statistics page anymore so the current project progress is Question .

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 02:18 PM EDT
    It's funny to see this. For several years I used to run the old SETI at home program and then I upgraded to the now BONIC version and stopped doing it. I opted to come back to the BONIC program because I chose to start the folding proteins @home (I think it's Rosetta@home) project instead of SETI. I thought that help to find new drugs to aid people fighting against various diseases was more noble than looking for aliens. But then I received a follow-up e-mail from SETI at home asking me to come back into the fold. I believe the email stated that the data they were receiving now had an even greater sensitivity than before and that old data was being combed through just in case.

Last night I fired SETI at home back up but now I can't get either to work properly. I have to see what's setup wrong--I just haven't had time.

I thought it was funny to see this post here as I hadn't had time to get the forums and this post caught my eye.

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 02:55 PM EDT

Currently, I am only running the BOINC software for SETI@home with two computers I use at the office (an IBM PC and an old Mac). I couldn't get it to work properly on the PC at first. There must have been some sort of hiccup during the initial installation and it's process of associating with my existing SETI@home account. It was linked with an account that simply read "User" instead of my name. I almost gave up on it entirely after trying everything I could to fix it (using the Accounts Manager feature in BOINC only resulted in an error from the SETI site when trying to call up my account). Even uninstalling from Windows and reinstalling did not fix it... until I tried to uninstall using the installer (instead of Windows). I did that and reinstalled.. and this time it was able to sync with my existing account.

So if BOINC is not working as it should, one could try uninstalling it (using the installer program) and then reinstalling it to see if that solves any problems you may be experiencing.

Now that I have BOINC working on both the PC and Mac, I am thinking of also joining other programs via the BOINC software... Perhaps Rosetta@home as Mohan mentioned.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 05:19 PM EDT
    Louis, thanks for the info.

And for anyone who is interested, here's the url for Rosetta@Home

Here's a blurb from the site:

"Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's (See our Disease Related Research for more information). Please join us in our efforts! Rosetta@home is not for profit."

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 07:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] Louis, thanks for the info.

And for anyone who is interested, here's the url for Rosetta@Home

Here's a blurb from the site:

"Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's (See our Disease Related Research for more information). Please join us in our efforts! Rosetta@home is not for profit."

Thanks... some worthy cures to discover there... I joined up with Rosetta@home and formed a new team there as well.

Rosetta@home Team for the Gallifreyan Embassy / Doctor Who: Podshock

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, October 31 2006 @ 09:45 PM EST

Seven active members with one in Canada and one in Germany. We're going global and have a healthy average recent credit. Go Team Venture, uhm, Podshock!

Taras

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored