The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    George and Miranda shortly before cyber-conversion
    George and Miranda shortly before cyber-conversion
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  Mac vs. PC
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Mac vs. PC Views: 5399
     Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 11:52 PM EST

Haaai!

Sounds like you should have gotten yourself a Kensington Turbo Mouse or similar 4-button trackball. I have been using either an ABD version or a USB version for well over a decade. No need for any surface to roll a plastic rodent over. I'm probably going to look if there exists a smaller one for portable use.

The Mac desktops come in to flavors, all in one and expandable. The Mac Pros (ex-Power Macs) have 3 PCI-X slots. Most people never used them. Oh, on an earlier generation PCI-based box I had a ATA card and a SCSI card, but most hardware can be added to either the USB or FireWire ports or to a SCSI chain for the older Macs. And my G5 has 7 GB of RAM. Almost all addressable by Photoshop. You can't go over 2 GB on the same generation Windows version.

With Parallels, both OSes are running simultaneously.

If you need more than 200GB of storage, then you should consider a desktop machine. Having all that data vulnerable to theft is just asking for trouble.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 09:13 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] The latest monthly patch tries to sneak IE 7.0 onto user's machines.

Taras

It DID sneak it on my pc, much to my regret - if I don't go Mac, I'll never be using the express install of the patches again.

It was actually after this patch that my machine began acting funny. All the sudden the packets sent via my isp connect skyrocketed into the 1,000 trillions (no idea what that number actual is, I guess I'll find out when the US deficit hits it) - but my received was sooooo low!! No spyware, no viruses, nothing "bad" on my pc, no one could figure it out (and yeah, I did pay the Geek Squad to look at it to be certain).

Now, I'm not saying it was the patches fault, but I really think it a little too coincidental

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 12:10 PM EST
    well, I did not join the Cult of Mac.

I had a long conversation w/ a nice tech dude at the apple store at Mall of America (my local mall). He could not guarantee that my external harddrive would read properly on the mac (since it was formated/whatever) on the pc. So, he would only give me a 50/50 chance of losing my 29 GB in iTunes (WAY too much music/podcasts/videa), not to mention any "acquired" material I had.

My quest has ended with a Sony Vaio. And this evening I will FINALLY be able to find out what happens in the 2 series finale of Shameless!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 12:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] well, I did not join the Cult of Mac.

I had a long conversation w/ a nice tech dude at the apple store at Mall of America (my local mall). He could not guarantee that my external harddrive would read properly on the mac (since it was formated/whatever) on the pc. So, he would only give me a 50/50 chance of losing my 29 GB in iTunes (WAY too much music/podcasts/videa), not to mention any "acquired" material I had.

My quest has ended with a Sony Vaio. And this evening I will FINALLY be able to find out what happens in the 2 series finale of Shameless!

Worst case scenario is that you could have transfered all your iTunes content from your iPod.

I know the Mac can read/write to PC formatted drives. At least some of them (I'm not sure about NTFS). I had forgotten to reformat one of the MyBook drives I bought to the Mac's HFS+ format and got a nasty surprise when I couldn't write files larger than 4GB. I had to scramble to copy everything to other drives so I could reformat the drive. Not fun looking for a temporary home for over 200 GBs of stuff...

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 01:51 PM EST

Glad you got sorted.

Your disk must have been NTFS formatted.

I know what you mean about all that music - before Christmas I offered to put my daughter's CD collection into an MP3 folder!!

Well I ended up having to buy an external drive - an 80gig one as it was both filling up my PC tand creating the problem of getting them onto her computer.

About three weeks later over 300 CDs and nearly 30gigs of space used up!

Before this I was thinking of putting my classical Cds onto my computer ( the last 30 or so I have done this) but I have at least another 200 more still to do - I'm not sure I can face it yet.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 02:52 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Before this I was thinking of putting my classical Cds onto my computer ( the last 30 or so I have done this) but I have at least another 200 more still to do - I'm not sure I can face it yet.

It is too bad that the tags were not designed to handle all the data a classic music audiophile would want to track with their collection. No tag for conductor, etc. I feel your pain!

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 03:38 PM EST

Apple is missing the boat here. If they really want to get people to switch to using a Mac, they should do everything to help you transfer your files over if the operating system can't use the drive directly. The bulk of the data was iTunes music and video after all. Even if they only offer this to AppleCare (extended warranty) customers, this would be a great step towards helping ease the OS transition.

Taras

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 04:46 PM EST
    As a recent convert (right before Christmas), I can tell you that there are utilities that convert Outlook Express e-mail and contacts and import them seamlessly into the Mac.

The Mac can read any hard drive format (Fat32, NTFS) except for ext3 which is a linux partition. I haven't had much luck with that. (ext2 works, just not ext3).

I used to have 3 computers on my desk. A Windows XP box, a Linux box (Fedora 4) and a Mac Mini G4. Now I have a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo running Parallels with XP and Linux virtual machines. All in one box!

I love that machine and I don't think I'll EVER go back. I still support a Windows network at work, but even some of our physicians are switching to Mac now. I wish the software base was larger, but it will increase as more and more users switch over (which I think is inevitable).

Check out HOO on WHO, my podcast devoted to the review of Classic series Doctor Who DVD's. http://www.hooonwho.com

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 05:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] My quest has ended with a Sony Vaio.

Are you running Vista then? I'm afraid of Vista. Actually, I'm yet to run "genuine advantage" (what an utterly insulting name for spyware... they might as well have called it "not anything bad, really"). One very bad thing about Vista was that it was going to not allow you to run VMware unless you owned the corporate version.

There are many horror scenarios predicted here: http://badvista.fsf.org/ (note the pile of mothballed PCs at the bottom). This claims that some audio/video equipment will be disabled under Vista as part of digital right's management:
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html. It's already annoying having to call microsoft everytime I change any piece of hardware in my computer to reauthorize XP, it sounds like it could become much worse under Vista.

[Quote  by:  Dr. Hoo]The Mac can read any hard drive format (Fat32, NTFS) except for ext3 which is a linux partition. I haven't had much luck with that. (ext2 works, just not ext3).

I think ext3 can always be mounted as ext2 in linux. Maybe the same is true under macos.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 25 2007 @ 04:38 AM EST
    I saw todays Dilbert and though of this thread Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 25 2007 @ 02:07 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] [Worst case scenario is that you could have transfered all your iTunes content from your iPod.

I know the Mac can read/write to PC formatted drives. At least some of them (I'm not sure about NTFS). I had forgotten to reformat one of the MyBook drives I bought to the Mac's HFS+ format and got a nasty surprise when I couldn't write files larger than 4GB. I had to scramble to copy everything to other drives so I could reformat the drive. Not fun looking for a temporary home for over 200 GBs of stuff...

That's what I thought too, that I could just transfer from my iPod, but the apple dude wasn't willing to say, "yes, that will work, no problems at all." It's just hard to make that leap when you cannot get one of the salesperson OR the tech guys to agree that you've nothing to worry about.....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 25 2007 @ 02:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Haaai!]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] My quest has ended with a Sony Vaio.

Are you running Vista then? I'm afraid of Vista.

I am NOT running Vista. That was the what made me grab the laptop before this weekends sales ads. Vista will be on all pcs starting next Tuesday (I think that was the date). I wanted to stay w/ Windows XP Pro -- until the majority of the bugs are worked out on Vista. My purchase gives me the ability to upgrade to Vista for free for 12 months, by which time I believe the major fixes will be in.

What I was shocked about while researching the laptops (mac and pc), was how few mid-range priced laptops had 1 GB or less memory and 90% of those did not have expandable memory. So, there is a large part of the world buying pc laptops who will upgrade to Vista and find that its just not going to function properly..... Bill Gates is evil.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 25 2007 @ 02:30 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] [Worst case scenario is that you could have transfered all your iTunes content from your iPod.

That's what I thought too, that I could just transfer from my iPod, but the apple dude wasn't willing to say, "yes, that will work, no problems at all." It's just hard to make that leap when you cannot get one of the salesperson OR the tech guys to agree that you've nothing to worry about.....

The Apple guys cannot say that, as the tools to do that sort of stuff are not sanctioned by Apple. To placate the big labels, Apple had to build certain restrictions into their product to even be able to get them to jump on board. The design of the syncing software for the iTunes/iPod system does not allow you to copy stuff from the iPod to the host computer. But there are a number of hacks and third party utilities that will allow you to access your content and do just that. So, unfortunately, they cannot help you there.

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 01:27 AM EST
    Buy whatever you like. In the end, it doesn't matter much these days. Whether you go with Linux, Windows, or OS X, they all have good things going for them and bad things going for them. These operating systems used to be quite different but this is starting to change. The OSes are becoming far more similar - certainly the hardware powering these operating systems is totally identical now. I run all three operating systems and there are good reasons to use all of them. Just don't listen to the propaganda that often come from all camps - they all do this.

If you listen to the Windows people, they'll tell you that Vista is more secure and has better features than XP. These changes are good, but marginal at best. It still crashes though and it's already under attack from hackers, so it's not the cure-all that Windows fans would have you believe.

If you listen to the Mac people, they'll tell you that their stuff "just works" and has no virii. Much of it does, but that doesn't mean everything just works. After all, Macs can crash too. They're also experiencing an increase in vulnerabilities along with their rising market share, proving that it's not necessarily the OS that makes you secure.

This is certainly the case with Unix/Linux as well (which is essentially what OS X is anyway under the hood (ie. 95% of the actual OS)). As Linux starts to see more market share (ie. Ubuntu), their users see more attacks and vulnerabilities.

I'd say it generally breaks down into three categories:

If you like ease of use, get OS X.
    If you need games, get Windows.
    If you like things for free, get Linux, but it will be more complex, regardless of recent advances to Linux.

I, for the record, run Gentoo Linux primarily but I also run XP, Vista, and OS X, either in dual-booting configurations on the same machine or using virtual machines. Personally I prefer a machine that runs all three. I don't see a reason to use a single OS when I can have the advantage of all three. All this and I don't even own a Mac. Wink.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 01:57 AM EST
    [Slightly off topic] Those of you familiar with the US "MAC vs PC" commercials may find this "Wii Vs PS3" Parody amusing (or not!)

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed