The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    David Banks(Cyber leader) at DWCA March 08
    David Banks(Cyber leader) at DWCA March 08
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  Mac vs. PC
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Mac vs. PC Views: 5710
     Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 02:22 AM EST

Funny stuff. Well my 2 pense, growing up in the server world of Novell, Unix and Xenix in the late 80's I of course am rather a die hard PC guy. Yes there are problems with any platform, and advantages. Hardware and software I am rather hardwired to the PC way now. I have used Macs in the past and the interface is rather counterintuitive (to me). Well thats just my take on it. The eternal debate will of course continue.

Nowhere near Vista ready Wink ,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 09:54 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] [Slightly off topic] Those of you familiar with the US "MAC vs PC" commercials may find this "Wii Vs PS3" Parody amusing (or not!)

What a great clip!!

It's a no brainer!

Get the no brainer!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 10:49 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]Hardware and software I am rather hardwired to the PC way now. Nowhere near Vista ready Wink

Well hardware-wise, they're pretty much all the same these days. Sure, the cases look different, but inside they're all a bunch of Intel chips. I've been genuinely surprised though just how well Vista runs on old hardware. This is a common Cult of Mac argument about how you need the newest PC to run Vista but it's simply not true. I installed Vista on a P4 2 GHz with 512 Mb of RAM and a 64Mb video card just the other day and I was shocked to see it run quite well. No Aero Glass but other than that the experience is almost identical to running it on a Core 2 Duo with 2 Gb and a 256 Mb video card. That P4 is about 3 years old. I think seeing Vista run well enough on a three year old computer was enough to convince me that those arguments are somewhat overblown. Besides, you could argue that about any operating system. I'm sure than when the latest Ubuntu comes out or Leopard arrives, you're not going to want to run it on a five year old Mac - that's just the way things are.

That's a great Mac vs. PC spoof. If I had known I could get laid playing with a Wii I'd have gotten more interested in the console war a year ago. I'll take a slap at that serial interface ANYtime.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 11:50 AM EST

A slightly less off topic I'm a Mac/I'm a PC spoof: I'm Steve Jobs/I'm Bill Gates

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 01:47 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  teshia] Well hardware-wise, they're pretty much all the same these days. Sure, the cases look different, but inside they're all a bunch of Intel chips. I've been genuinely surprised though just how well Vista runs on old hardware.

Here is an interesting analysis of Vista's Content Protection.

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 02:09 PM EST
    This was always my favourite PC v Mac ad:

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 02:21 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] [Slightly off topic] Those of you familiar with the US "MAC vs PC" commercials may find this "Wii Vs PS3" Parody amusing (or not!)

Errr... Yeah. Um... that just sold me on the PS3. LOL. Big Grin

Actually, I will probably get the X-Box 360 system before the PS3 at this point.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 02:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] This was always my favourite PC v Mac ad:

I certainly won't be hiring this editor for anything as he has proven he can't even operate something as simple and initiative as a Mac. After 16 years using the platform, and yes, experiencing plenty of crashes (though not so much since OS X), yet none of my experiences come close to this blunder head. LOL. Well, yeah, I know it is supposed to a parody and comedic. (I think that was the point of it anyway Neutral )

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 03:36 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] This was always my favourite PC v Mac ad:

I certainly won't be hiring this editor for anything as he has proven he can't even operate something as simple and initiative as a Mac. After 16 years using the platform, and yes, experiencing plenty of crashes (though not so much since OS X), yet none of my experiences come close to this blunder head. LOL. Well, yeah, I know it is supposed to a parody and comedic. (I think that was the point of it anyway Neutral )

Cheers,
    Louis

The point being, despite being frustrated with his Macintosh, he couldn't make that piece without it...

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 03:55 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]Here is an interesting analysis of Vista's Content Protection.

Yeah, everybody's pointing at that but it's yet another overblown thing. They make it sound like everything is going to come to a grinding halt, especially when you're viewing audio/video but this simply isn't true. I've viewed lots of different types of media and there's absolutely no slowdown in Vista. There might be with protected content, but then again, the day I purchase protected content for Windows, OS X, or Linux, is the day I sell my soul. Forget it - I'll buy the DVD and watch it on my TV...I could never use a computer for it. Microsoft actually brought up an interesting point to those DRM articles as well, which was that you can either have DRMs and play back protected content or you can have no ability to play protected content from companies. The choice is yours but Microsoft essentially has no say in the matter. They'd get in trouble with Hollywood if they didn't. The same thing will ultimately happen to others that offer protected content. Just look at Apple - they're the biggest single seller of protected content on the planet. It's the price of working with big Hollywood.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 09:55 PM EST

Actually, I will probably get the X-Box 360 system before the PS3 at this point.

Cheers,
    Louis

To be fair, this parody has nothing to do with Nintendo. I believe it was made by G4 TV, those same guys who took over TechTV and then assassinated the real screensaver (Leo Laport and Patrick Norton) and replaced them with some bozos which became Attack of the Show.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 09:55 PM EST

Cheers,
    Louis

To be fair, this parody has nothing to do with Nintendo. I believe it was made by G4 TV, those same guys who took over TechTV and then assassinated the real screensaver (Leo Laport and Patrick Norton) and replaced them with some bozos which became Attack of the Show.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 10:14 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Actually, I will probably get the X-Box 360 system before the PS3 at this point.

So, you actually have the time to chose between those? Twisted Evil

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 10:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    So, you actually have the time to chose between those? Twisted Evil

Time? No... I still have games in their original shrink wrap from years ago for the previous generation of game consoles... let alone the latest generation. But I had a family member give me an X-Box 360 game this past holiday season and I didn't have the heart(s) to say that I didn't have the X-Box 360. So yeah, if I had to choose... I already have a title for one of them.

Of course there was a Doctor Who title to come out on only one of the platforms, that could possibly sway me as well.

Wii is out of the picture really because it doesn't do either of the HD format movies, whereas HD-DVD and Blu-Ray functionality can be had on the X-Box 360 and PS3 respectively. The latter two platforms also do games in HD, whereas the Wii does not.

Time? Sigh... Frown if I only I had some (that and money of course).

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, February 01 2007 @ 11:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Time? Sigh... Frown if I only I had some (that and money of course).

Well, time is money, isn't it?

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored