The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    David Banks(Cyber leader) at DWCA March 08
    David Banks(Cyber leader) at DWCA March 08
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  Mac vs. PC
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Mac vs. PC Views: 5307
     Wednesday, February 07 2007 @ 08:40 PM EST
    Newest word about DRM here. And of course the Apple Inc. vs. Apple Corp. decision has helped move a few things forward. At least with Jobs talking about it the music company's might start listening.

Whatever platform you choose Smile
    Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, February 08 2007 @ 05:23 AM EST
    Now this IS interesting. I'm a bit puzzled by Jobs saying this. I'm wondering if he's doing this to appeal to the very people that were bashing the Zune for being steeped in DRM technology or if he actually is sincere. Some people have argued recently that Apple doesn't want to get rid of DRM because it forces people into using their technology if they've purchased music through iTunes. I know some indie artists who've distributed music through iTunes have asked to have their music sold DRM free and been denied. I hope Jobs is right in what he says but I can't see Apple actually doing it. Why would they give up DRM when it's to their business model? It can't be hurting their sales - heck, they probably make more money selling MP3s than anybody else on the planet.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 01:18 PM EST

Even Forbes doesn't like Vista's DRM scheme: Forbes | Security Matters | Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 01:44 PM EST
    I don't think anybody like the DRM thing in Vista, least of all Vista people.

[Quote It's all complete nonsense. Microsoft could have easily told the entertainment industry that it was not going to deliberately cripple its operating system, take it or leave it. With 95% of the operating system market, where else would Hollywood go?

Well, to be fair, Microsoft COULD have told the entertainment industry that but it wouldn't have done anything. Just look at the reaction Jobs is getting from the RIAA after having said the same thing. As far as the entertainment industry is concerned, they're calling the shots, end of sentence. This will, of course, only cost them more money as people continue to circumvent DRM copy protection in the coming years.

I love how he asks where Hollywood would go. Like Vista was the only option for watching movies? What happened to set top players? Isn't that what most people watch movies on?

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 01:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Newest word about DRM here. And of course the Apple Inc. vs. Apple Corp. decision has helped move a few things forward. At least with Jobs talking about it the music company's might start listening.

Whatever platform you choose Smile
    Cheers,
    Mike M.

On a connected note - DRM is one problem but I've just been helping my son choose a new monitor today.

He has just got a new PC but got 200 UKPs (nearly 400 dollars off) because the store had sold out of the 19 inch Samsung monitor it was paired with.

Anyway because he doesn't have TV but loves DVDs we looked for widescreen 20inch plus LCDs.

He will keep this PC a good frew years and I suggested if he intends to upgrade the DVD player in the future to either HD-DVD or BluRay it would make sence to buy a monitor with a DVI input that supports HDCP - which is like DRM for Hi-Def video (not yet implemented on HD-DVD but could if film studios insist)

He's gone for this one - Samsungs Vista certified Samsung SM-226BW 22inch :-

here

No doubt cheaper in the US.

'That’s exactly what you get with the Samsung BW series of widescreen LCD monitors. Wide 16:10 aspect ratios let you multitask, with room for more than one application at a time. The extra room also makes working with graphics programs and multiple tool palletes easier. An ultra-fast 2 ms (G to G) response time is perfect for motion graphics editing. And exclusive MagicBright 3,™ MagicColor™ and MagicTune™ technologies give you complete control over outstanding color. All the color. All the room. With the Samsung BW series, it’s not hard to imagine.

- Viewable Area: 22” Widescreen (1680x1050 Resolution)
    - Interface: Analog / Digital
    - Response Time: 2ms
    - 16.7M Colours
    - Contrast Ratio: 3000:1
    - Viewing Angle (H/V): 160°/ 160°
    - Brightness: 300cd/m2

But the point of the post is that many people are buying big expensive widescreen monitors that may not work with High Def films - especially as some film distributors say that back catalogue stuff won't have copy protection but new output will.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 02:27 PM EST

Mac 360 | Why Mac Users Are So Different From Windows Users.

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 08:09 PM EST
    I have a great deal of respect for Macs, but today I had a power supply go bad on one of our Mac Pros. This wouldn't have been a big deal on a PC (which is what most of the computers on my network are), but on a Mac Pro you need a special tool, that only Mac service centers have, to get the blasted thing out.

Furthermore, we discovered that the power supply for a Mac Pro costs $400. Hmmm. Most PC power supplies are $40 to $60 tops.

So, not only can I not remove the power supply without some specially made wrench, the replacement part costs almost as much as one of the PC workstations we use at our facility.

I suppose this is fine if you have deep pockets, but I see this as a problem for your average user.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 08:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  shoggoth] I have a great deal of respect for Macs, but today I had a power supply go bad on one of our Mac Pros. This wouldn't have been a big deal on a PC (which is what most of the computers on my network are), but on a Mac Pro you need a special tool, that only Mac service centers have, to get the blasted thing out.

Furthermore, we discovered that the power supply for a Mac Pro costs $400. Hmmm. Most PC power supplies are $40 to $60 tops.

So, not only can I not remove the power supply without some specially made wrench, the replacement part costs almost as much as one of the PC workstations we use at our facility.

I suppose this is fine if you have deep pockets, but I see this as a problem for your average user.

This is where AppleCare comes in handy... Now, wouldn't it still be under warranty?

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 08:32 PM EST
    Right you are Taras! Unfortunately, the gentleman who was in charge of our Macs didn't see fit to buy an Apple Care agreement, or at least an extended one. Sadness.

The computer is now a little more than one year old, so no longer covered under that part of the agreement.

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 08:55 PM EST

I thought that those came out less than a year ago, it must have been longer. That's why I asked the question.

I've been lucky with my G5 Dual. But I took out AppleCare on my new MacBook Pro.

Taras

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 09:08 PM EST
    In spite of this experience, I have decided that I will be ordering a new personal computer in the near future and for the first time, it will be a Mac.

All hail OSX, it isn't Windows Vista! Yay! I think that should be OSX's new slogan. Big Grin

Sunday, February 25 2007 @ 12:46 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Mac 360 | Why Mac Users Are So Different From Windows Users.

This is exactly why Cult of Mac people are just as crazy as Windows fans. I wish they would stop dividing computer users into "us" and "them". It's incredibly counterproductive.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 19 2007 @ 06:25 PM EDT

An interesting take on the difference between Apple and Microsoft: Blackfriars' Marketing | Apple versus Microsoft marketing: it's the difference between Time Poor and Time Rich buyers.

Monday, March 19 2007 @ 06:39 PM EDT
    If i could afford it I'd buy a Mac, as simple as that. But I can't - and studies show that doing too much research before a purchase and having too many choices CAN lead to choice overload & eventual buyers remorse.

Just buy whatever you secretly want and then afterwards don't ask anybody for their opinion about your purchase and whatever you do - don't go back and look and see what else you could have gotten for the same moneyWink

That's my advice

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Monday, March 19 2007 @ 07:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] and studies show that doing too much research before a purchase and having too many choices CAN lead to choice overload & eventual buyers remorse.

Then if you got it you don't want it
    Seems to be the rule of thumb
    Don't be tricked by what you see
    You got two ways to go
    Freedom of choice
    Is what you got
    Freedom from choice
    Is what you want.

-- Devo

I guess it sucks to be both time and money poor... Frown

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored