The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Worth at Gallifrey 2006
    Worth at Gallifrey 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  MAY - Support The Forum!!!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    MAY - Support The Forum!!! Views: 2575
     Tuesday, May 01 2007 @ 04:31 AM EDT
    Well I thought I'd start a new 'Support the Forum' thread for May to try and keep things tidy!

For May I have got rather a nice item which will probably be of most interest to people outside of the UK. It is a copy of the rather wonderful third instalment of Doctor Who Magazines In Their Own Words series which covers 1977 - 81.

[Quote  by: "Tom Baker in 'In Their Own Words']
    "I was the great children's hero. I was known all over the world. I didn't need credit cards, I was welcomed into everybody's house. The Doctor isn't just what I did in the studio, you see.

I had to carry the concept of this semi-perfect man into my own life so that, of there were children around, I wouldn't be seen as a disappointment! It was very, very exhausting at times, but rewarding as well. Being Doctor Who comes with this responsibility..."

This item has a UK cover price of £5.99 and a US cover price of $11.99. However, don't just consider this item as a rather excellent read - also consider it as an investment as previous editions of the 'In Their own Words' series already sell for several times their cover price on places like eBay! Therefore, I think the starting bid should be at least $10 - but Iím sure you folks can do better than that!!!

I have had a copy of this for several weeks and it really is great read giving an insight in to what it was like to work on Doctor Who with Tom Baker in the late 70's.

REMEMBER - All proceeds go towards the running of this website and Podshock!!!

Usual rules apply - highest price pledged at 23:59:59 on Thursday 31st May wins the item - once Louis as confirmed the payment has been received I will post it anywhere in the world. It will be posted at my expenses (and therefore it will be sent the cheapest method) and will be well packaged in a board back envelope to avoid damage in transit!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 01 2007 @ 01:19 PM EDT
    I'll take the first bid of $13.00 (my lucky number!) or £6.51

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 03 2007 @ 11:51 AM EDT
    bump.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 03 2007 @ 12:47 PM EDT
    Here's another taster:-

[Quote  by:  Tom Baker in 'In Their Own Words']
    I quite like the idea of talking to foxes. That's very contemporary, seeing if they have a point of view. Or badgers. Yeah badgers! I think the children would love it if I could talk to badgers.

Come on - surely any publications with quotes like that is worth bidding for!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 03 2007 @ 12:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] Here's another taster:-

[Quote  by:  Tom Baker in 'In Their Own Words']
    I quite like the idea of talking to foxes. That's very contemporary, seeing if they have a point of view. Or badgers. Yeah badgers! I think the children would love it if I could talk to badgers.

Come on - surely any publications with quotes like that is worth bidding for!

Well I'll bid 15 dollars

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, May 09 2007 @ 09:15 AM EDT
    Time to do this to this thread again:-

Come on folks - we can do better than $15!!!

If we get the bidding above $20 I'll post another quote from the magazine. I know how much you all love Adric so I will share with you Lalla Ward's comments on her colleague - you won't be disapointed Wink

In case you want further proof how great this issue is - see this thread over on Outpost Gallifrey.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 13 2007 @ 08:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]

Come on folks - we can do better than $15!!!

If we get the bidding above $20 I'll post another quote from the magazine.

So it looks like I'm going to walk away with this item for 15 dollars!

That less than 8 UKPs!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, May 13 2007 @ 03:31 PM EDT
    I was trying to find this item on Amazon.co.uk so I could find more info about it, but I wasn't able to find it. Or the previous two volumes for that matter. Is this more of a magazine?

Side note: I've been trying to read my copy of Doctor Who: The Unfolding Text that I bought back in the 80s. I thought maybe I didn't read it back then because I was too young, but it's still pretty dry and I'm a full-blown adult now. I'll toy with the idea of offering this up for a future STF thread. Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 13 2007 @ 08:29 PM EDT

It is a special issue of Doctor Who Magazine, in magazine format.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, May 16 2007 @ 04:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

I think we better get another quote - otherwise for me this will be like taking candy from the Candyman Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

Friday, May 25 2007 @ 06:45 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

I think we better get another quote - otherwise for me this will be like taking candy from the Candyman Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

BUMP!

Also let's hope another forum member can come up with a 'JUNE - Support The Forum' offer.

Now am I still going to get this months offer at just 15 dollars??

Come people - what about one of our 'new bloods' - any in the market for:-

'It is a copy of the rather wonderful third instalment of Doctor Who Magazines In Their Own Words series which covers 1977 - 81'

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, May 27 2007 @ 02:22 PM EDT
    {{{{{ BUMP }}}}}

Come on folks, remember this site is free but to keep it going Louis has 3 jobs and a paper round!! Ken is growing his hair so he can sell it as part of a hair transplant program and James, well he's moved to the Netherlands and is working in the 'adult entertainment business'!

Why are they all doing this? Just so they can keep the site and podcast free because they love you all!

So come on - dig deep and lets get the bidding higher before the end of the month! Remember - I'll cover the shipping costs and will post this anywhere in the world - it really is a fantastic read than any classic Who fan will thoroughly enjoy so don't be tight and throw a few dollars in to the podshock pot and get a fantastic special edition magazine!!!!

Besides, do we really want daveac to win it???????? Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 27 2007 @ 05:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]

Besides, do we really want daveac to win it???????? Wink

In the words of Chris Tarrant 'Who want's to be a Millionaire' (in the UK):-
    'but we don't want to give you that..' (refering to the size of the cheque he's holding out to the contestant)

Also if you have caught the Talkshoe 82 Podshock - I asked if anyone has a copy of the Dr Who book 'Human Nature' that this week's episode 8 is based on - to offer up for 'June - Support this Forum' offer.

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, May 27 2007 @ 05:25 PM EDT
    I have a copy Dave - but I'm not prepaired to part with it Smile

However, I have just discovered that there is a Doctor Who shop based very close to where I work and they have several NA's in stock - including Human Nature and at a reasonable price!

I'm going to take a drive down there one day this week for a look round and will pick up a copy if they still have them and haven't ramped up the prices.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 28 2007 @ 08:29 AM EDT

{{{{ BUMP }}}}

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic