The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Doctor (Suit)
    The Doctor (Suit)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  Stewart Builds a Dalek
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Stewart Builds a Dalek Views: 9091
     Friday, August 01 2008 @ 11:16 AM EDT
    Wanna build me one now? Smile

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 11:59 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] Hey maybe you should do a panel at Glalifrey this year with a slide presentation on building a Dalek! You couldn't bring it in person but you could share the photos and your experience.

Well, If I can get to Galifrey and I have actually finished by February then it could be possible. However, Most people seem to take a year to 18 months to finish, and I'm only at two months.

Additonally, there are loads of people building Daleks, principally in the UK, the US and Australia. There are many who could show better work than I.

Over the weekend, I'll get the diary up to date, then updates will slow down.

Please remember I have had very little experience at this kind of thing, my success is due to advice and guidance from people who know what there doing (and wrote down plans).

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 12:04 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee] Wanna build me one now? Smile

Well go join www.projectdalek.com it may not be as hard as you think.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 12:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    There are many who could show better work than I.

Over the weekend, I'll get the diary up to date, then updates will slow down.

Please remember I have had very little experience at this kind of thing, my success is due to advice and guidance from people who know what there doing (and wrote down plans).

'There are many who could show better work than I.'

I don't think you should feel that - it looks great - and at some speed as well.

Thanks for sharing - daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 01:34 PM EDT
    I am very impressed, I have to say and am keen to see how it turns outs for you if not a touch envious). The most I have managed is a Dalek Cake. Well done to you sir!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 01:50 PM EDT

Wow!

(This reminds of the old days when Ken with other members of the Gallifreyan Embassy were building a TARDIS in Ken's parent's garage.)

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 02:48 PM EDT

I suppose you could cheat and put one of these on the top Twisted Evil

(full size 1024x768)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 03:28 PM EDT
    Okay completely off topic/on topic but did you see that report in the paper that some guy in the UK got a friend to kidnap his ex girlfriend wearing a Dalek Voice Changer helmet to disguise himself and then the ex boyfriend was supposed to save her and hopefully in turn get back together with her. What was that about?

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 03:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] Okay completely off topic/on topic but did you see that report in the paper that some guy in the UK got a friend to kidnap his ex girlfriend wearing a Dalek Voice Changer helmet to disguise himself and then the ex boyfriend was supposed to save her and hopefully in turn get back together with her. What was that about?

NO - but did RTD write the script Evil

Cheers, daveac

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 07:14 PM EDT
    26th July 2008
    ---------------

Put together my shoulders frame and the hardboard is soaking in the bath for application tomorrow.
    Here is my stack at the end of the day.
    Photobucket

The hemispheres on the New Series Dalek have a raised black ring round them, unlike the classic daleks. Mike Tucker who designed the "Dalek" in the episode "Dalek" used Truck Oil Seals for this purpose. They are 1) heavy and 2) expensive, so they will not be present on my dalek.
    Went to Dollar Tree this morning and found my "oil seal" solution. The lids from the top of "Stay Fresh" reusable containers. 4 for $1. Just need to remove to flap and paint black.

Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 07:20 PM EDT
    27 th July 2008
    ---------------

Another fairly productive day. After letting my hardboard soak overnight I skinned the back half of the shoulders this morning.
    Due to my Wife and kids being on vacation in the UK, I was unable to call upon my Teenage
    son to help wrestle with the beast. So forty five minutes later the hardboard was attached and I had lost about 10lbs in sweat. I also lost about a further
    lb of #17 1" wire nails, half a tube of power grip and 16 screws. Got to say though, that although it was hard work
    everything seemed to go okay and nothing actually went wrong.So here it is
    Photobucket

Then after letting it dry for a few hours and trimming the excess hardboard, I put it on the stack
    Photobucket
    Why is it I think the front half is going to be even harder? Goint to make a template for that though, cut the hardboard to approximate size, plus put
    in screw holes etc, then let it soak. Hope the prior preparation makes fighting it slightly easier than todays effort.

Next, I cut the neck rings using the router and circle cutting jig. Now have all three and they are very close to the target dimensions.
    Photobucket
    Need to tidy them up a little then I am going to put a 45 degree slope on them with the router and a camfer bit with a bottom guide bearing on it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 07:22 PM EDT
    28th July 2008
    --------------

Made some progress after work this evening. Sanded the outer edge of the neck rings to get them a smooth as possible.
    Then used the router with a camfered bit and a guide bearing to put the 45 degree edge on all three. Still need a little tidying up
    with small amount of filler and more sanding, but in general I'm pretty pleased (at least they are all the correct size).
    Photobucket

Next stuck some card together mounted it up on the front end of the shoulders and made a template for the hardboard.
    Photobucket

I'm going to cut it out a bit oversized, let it soak for a few hours then skin the front half of the shoulders either tomorrow or Friday. Travelling with
    work on Wed and Thursday, so those days are out.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    29th July 2008
    --------------

Managed to skin the front of the shoulders this evening. Again it was a wrestling match, but somehow didn't seem as bad as the rear did.
    I was really dreading the shoulders, and although it has been hard work cladding them without any help, it was nowhere near as problematic as
    I feared.
    Here are the shoulders with the rear and the front cladding, but the front still needs to be trimmed back, obviously some filling and sanding will be required.
    Photobucket

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 01 2008 @ 07:28 PM EDT
    31st July 2008
    --------------

Trimmed back the hardboard on the front of the shoulders, then sanded all the hardboard flat on the top and the bottom.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

I am now pretty much caught up with Dalek construction. This weekend I m hoping to finish the neck cage and either start the gunboxes, or build up the cladding on the shoulders for the NSD details.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, August 02 2008 @ 05:47 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    I am now pretty much caught up with Dalek construction. This weekend I m hoping to finish the neck cage and either start the gunboxes, or build up the cladding on the shoulders for the NSD details.

That is seriously good work!

Davros is slave-driving you at this pace Big Grin

Wonderful - daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored