The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Classic Doctor Who Sign
    Classic Doctor Who Sign
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  British TV suggestions
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    British TV suggestions Views: 1945
     Monday, February 23 2009 @ 10:02 PM EST
    So my wife and I have finally worked our way through all of the Wire in the Blood episodes. We love it and can't wait for the next series. But now we're at a loss. We're looking for something new to watch that might have the same flavor as Wire in the Blood. I did download the first series of Touching Evil and we're watching that now, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Maybe Romana II can suggest a good Aussie show that I can try downloading, too. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 01:42 AM EST
    detective dramas? how about the messiah series. there was 3 or 4 of them but they can be a little gory in places.
    Also theres the recent Moses Jones with Matt Smith, Life on Mars, Prime Suspect, Cracker and waking the dead

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 05:02 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  dave hingley] detective dramas? how about the messiah series. there was 3 or 4 of them but they can be a little gory in places.

There's five of them, with Marc Warren (Elton in Love and Monsters!) taking the lead role from Ken Stott in the fifth. They're all pretty good but nothing beats the first one! If you love your psychological murder mysteries with a few bizarre serial killers - this is for you!

Peter Davison's 'The Last Detective' is always worth a look but there is also a 1981 movie starring none other than Bernard Cribbins, in Davison's future role!

Moving away from dectetive dramas and apart from the obvious ones which will be mentioned, check out 'The Last Train', which is written by Life on Mars co-creator Matthew Graham. It feels much like Terry Nation's 'Survivors' but otherwise follows a completely different plot. I feel that it actually pulls the post-apocalyptic theme of show, off better than Survivors. It's not available on DVD so you may have to do some digging around on those 'red-eye flights' to grab a copy.

Also not available on DVD Wink is 'Strange' which guest-stars Tom Baker in one of the episodes. Think about a grown up 'Buffy' which is good, British and has demons instead of vampires and you've basically got the idea! It was an excellent series that would have been highly-praised had it been aired post 2005!

If you love Patrick Stewart (which is really hard not to, as he is definitely nice!) check out the ORIGNAL 'The Eleventh Hour' which was on ITV in 2006. The basic plot is that Pat is a scientist who goes around investigating a number of 'scientific incidents', from human cloning to global warming. His minder is played by Ugly Betty's mate, I believe. Eek! She is quite good though

I'll think of more obscure ones later!

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 06:02 AM EST
    Not a detective show, but one the best dramas on British TV in the last decade was State of Play.
    It's a brilliant political thriller starring David Morrisey and John Simm among others, and soon to be released as a film remake starring Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 09:57 AM EST
    I'll echo many of the suggestions above - especially the "real" Life on Mars (and its successor, which I actually prefer - yes flame me now if you want!!!) Ashes to Ashes, and State of Play.

Other suggestions of recent vintage - Being Human (with Russell Tovey from Voyage of the Damned), Whitechapel (an updating of the Jack the Ripper saga), Unforgiven (fantastic 3 part drama which featured Peter Davison in the cast - I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling it), Party Animals (Political drama with Matt Smith), and if you haven't seen it Blackpool (featuring the first pairing of David Tennant and David Morrissey and soooooo much better than the US remake with Hugh Jackman!)

That should keep you going Smile

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 01:55 PM EST
    Being Human is absolutely fantastic!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 24 2009 @ 02:01 PM EST
    One of the most classic dramas ever made by the BBC IMO was Edge of darkness - mystery/politics/ecology/just plain general wierdness and the casting of the century. Really, if you've never seen anything else from the BBC, track this down.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 25 2009 @ 01:34 AM EST
    The Robin Hood series I'm quite fond of if you haven't seen it already. I'll also give a two BIG thumbs up for Life on Mars the British version. (I watch Ashes, but it doesn't move me the way Life did. Maybe season 2....)

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 25 2009 @ 07:07 AM EST
    Big seconds from me for State of Play - it would possibly rank at the top of my list for best television ever, although it takes a little while to really pick up steam - and for Being Human (although I've just seen last year's pilot; really keen to get into this year's episodes as soon as I get a chance), and Cracker, for something a bit older.

As for Australian stuff, my main recommendation would be the 1st series of Underbelly from last year, which is a dramatisation of the real life gangland war in Melbourne from the mid 90s till 2004. The first 2 or 3 episodes are pretty dodgy, but it's great after that. They're currently screening a follow-up prequel series called Underbelly - A Tale of Two Cities, set in the 1970s, but I'm not enjoying that as much.

Wednesday, February 25 2009 @ 07:12 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  dave hingley] detective dramas? how about the messiah series. there was 3 or 4 of them but they can be a little gory in places.
    Also theres the recent Moses Jones with Matt Smith, Life on Mars, Prime Suspect, Cracker and waking the dead

So what were people's feelings about Moses Jones at the end of the day?

The reviews of the 1st episode seemed pretty ordinary, and I wasn't sure if it was worth catching a flight.

Wednesday, February 25 2009 @ 07:55 AM EST
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We did see the first few eps of The Last Detective. We got the DVD from our local library. And we have caught later eps of Prime Suspect on public television and have meant to go back and watch from the beginning. I did download the original Eleventh Hour and we watched the first two eps. We need to finish those.

I think from these choices, I'll start out with the Messiah series first. And try some of the other detective style shows. Those are what my wife likes to watch. I'll try some of the others, too, but probably just on my own.

I loved the original Life on Mars and liked Ashes to Ashes. We just started Being Human and have really enjoyed it so far.

Thanks, everyone. Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 25 2009 @ 11:25 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  lucas]

So what were people's feelings about Moses Jones at the end of the day?

The reviews of the 1st episode seemed pretty ordinary, and I wasn't sure if it was worth catching a flight.

It was a well written, and well-acted police drama. But very very violent and quite disturbing. The last episode was a bit of a letdown though.

I'm glad I saw it, and it was very interesting to watch Matt Smith, who gave a good performance but had very limited screentime, especially in the last episode. I won't be watching it again though.

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Thursday, February 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM EST
    Being Human has been renewed for a 2nd series - of 8 episodes this time! Hooray!

(Although based on the cliffhanger from last week who will be back Frown )

Thursday, February 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM EST
    You may like trying the six part re-imagining of Terry Nation's Survivors which I just watched with my Wife and teenage son.

Another good long running British mystery/crime show is Taggart. The early shows are pretty old now but is still running today (although the eponomous character is long gone).

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, February 26 2009 @ 10:45 PM EST
    I enjoye Rebus a lot. The first series had John Hannah in it, then the lead actor switched. It's a detective drama set in Edinburgh (or Glasgow? No, I think it was Edinburgh). Quite dark, Rebus is certainly a very tortured hero.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed