The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Eric Roberts at Gallifrey 18, February 17 2007
    Eric Roberts at Gallifrey 18, February 17 2007
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  The Wire
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Wire Views: 1250
     Friday, March 13 2009 @ 02:14 PM EDT
    Not Sci-fi, I know but damn good telly nonetheless. Any other fans out there? I'm now onto the third series and absolutely loving it. I'm a Brit (but Doctor Who notwithstanding) I have to say that American drama is miles ahead of any UK drama these days. This is an amazing series.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 13 2009 @ 04:44 PM EDT
    I've seen all of it now (I saw series 5 recently - I watched it in a weekend) and I think it's the best US TV program ever. I don't say that lightly; personally speaking I really rate it that much.

It's a slightly acquired taste, because it's often not a gung-ho shoot 'em up type thing.

Over 5 series, with a couple of dozen excellent characters, and full dozen or so extra-excellent characters, it was just the best cop/robber/street/urban show I've seen....

The obvious comparison is The Sopranos. I absolutely adored the first 2 series of that - but as it went on, it became less and less magic. Core characters went off in some strange directions, and no-one (with the exception of Tony) remained remotely likeable. It continued to have it's moments, but it didnt get me the way it did in the early series - not even close. If in turn you take The Wire, now that it's all played out, I respect it even more. Big fat stand-out point would be series 2. At the time, I liked it, but it's only in hindsight I think you could make a good case for it being the strongest series of all.

Wonderful wonderful stuff. & infinitely re-watchable.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 14 2009 @ 12:09 PM EDT
    Funny I was thinking about this programme when listening to the Hitchhikers Guide to Brit Sci-Fi podcast when Ken Deep said "name me a good US TV series". The Wire is excellent. TV (US, UK or anywhere) at it's very best. I've just watched the DVD box set for series ! & am about to watch series 2

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 14 2009 @ 02:22 PM EDT
    I was surprised to read that two of the main stars are British. The actors that play Stringer Bell and McNulty (an old Etonian nonetheless!). McNulty's British accent scene in series 2 now makes much more sense and becomes even funnier!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 14 2009 @ 02:45 PM EDT
    Did anyone ever catch "Line Of Fire"? That was a cop(fbi)/mob show - it was cancelled after the first series, which was a surprise because I thought it was really strong.

I've just googled it, and there's not even much info on it on the net.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM EDT
    if anyone hasn't seen The Wire - it begins 30/3/09 on BBC2!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] I'm a Brit (but Doctor Who notwithstanding) I have to say that American drama is miles ahead of any UK drama these days. This is an amazing series.

Not a diss of "The Wire" by any stretch of the imagination - since its definitely solid drama. But do you really think that? There is very little *great* US tv right now ("The Wire" has been gone a year now!). In the last few months, the UK has had some fantastic stuff that would never show up in the US - The ITV drama with Peter Davison "Unforgiven", "Being Human", which is absolutely fantastic - best new genre series in a long long time, The Swedish detective drama with Kenneth Branagh at the end of last year, and "Red Riding" that's just finished on C4.

And "Ashes to Ashes" Series 2 any week now!

If only the US could be so lucky!!!!

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, March 25 2009 @ 06:40 PM EDT
    Over the last five or six years, I would definitely say that the best drama has come from the US: the Sopranos, the Wire and currently, Dexter, The Riches, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Battlestar Galactica. That's not to say that the UK doesn't do good stuff but I've seen nothing that is a patch on the Wire.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 25 2009 @ 08:19 PM EDT
    HUNGRY !

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 27 2009 @ 10:38 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Idiom] Over the last five or six years, I would definitely say that the best drama has come from the US: the Sopranos, the Wire and currently, Dexter, The Riches, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Battlestar Galactica. That's not to say that the UK doesn't do good stuff but I've seen nothing that is a patch on the Wire.

Well, "The Sopranos" goes back to 1999, believe it or not!

And in that time you are talking about "Life on Mars", "Blackpool", "State of Play", "Being Human", "Ashes to Ashes" - not too mention "Doctor Who", "Torchwood" and numerous TV movies etc. I'd say the UK stacks up pretty darned well to be honest with you! Smile

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Friday, March 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee]

Well, "The Sopranos" goes back to 1999, believe it or not!

And in that time you are talking about "Life on Mars", "Blackpool", "State of Play", "Being Human", "Ashes to Ashes" - not too mention "Doctor Who", "Torchwood" and numerous TV movies etc. I'd say the UK stacks up pretty darned well to be honest with you! Smile

Yeah, began in 1999 but went on for a few years after that - State of Play finished before the Sopranos did. Look, I'm not saying that UK drama is terrible or the worst in the world or anything like that. I'm just saying that in my opinion (that's just 'opinion') I feel that US drama has been superior. Remember, this is totally subjective and maybe everybody disagrees with me. That doesn't matter - what matters is my own truth that I perceive: that these dramas have appealed more to my taste than a lot of British drama. I would even say that I preferred the first two seasons of Battlestar to any of the new Who. That doesn't mean that I hate Doctor Who. Just expressing an opinion. Anyway, have you see the Wire? That's the real point!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 27 2009 @ 11:47 AM EDT
    Yes, I have seen "The Wire". And found it to be very good television! (Unlike *most* US TV, IMO!) For me it lost its way a little in Series 4, without the compelling villains from the first 3 series, but I really liked Series 5. My favourite was undoubtely Series 2, though, which was very well put together.

Having said that, I was a big fan of "Homicide: Life on the Street" from much of the same team - and find that to be more satisfying viewing - mainly due to liking the characters more, and having someone to root for. I didn't get that in "The Wire" at all - everybody's pretty awful in one way or other!

BSG better than New Who? Not in my book. (I've watched about 2/3 of the first 2 years, but series 3 has been sitting on the DVD shelf for a year!) But each to their own!

And to be honest - its very difficult to compare US tv to UK tv since the formats are so different. "State of Play" and "Blackpool" are 2 perfect 6 part stories. And don't need any more or any less time to tell those stories. Similarly the UK "Life on Mars" is 16 episodes - and told the story it wanted to tell. Often US TV suffers from having to stretch the story to fill a "season".

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM EDT
    Interesting article on the debate here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/adoration-of-us-television-is-dangerous-nonsense-1656865.html

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 03:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  barnabeee] Interesting article on the debate here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/adoration-of-us-television-is-dangerous-nonsense-1656865.html

Let's make a link out of that:

Adoration of US Television is "Dangerous Nonsense"

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 07:15 PM EDT
    Dominic West, who stars in The Wire, has added his opinion on UK TV on the BBC site:

Wire Star Criticises UK Drama

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages