The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Robot
    Robot
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  General Discussions »  New blood in the forums
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New blood in the forums Views: 12552
     Friday, May 04 2007 @ 01:55 PM EDT

Welcome Tawm, and everybody else...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, May 04 2007 @ 05:51 PM EDT
    Thanks for the general welcome, Taras. And also to daveac, who welcomed me on my recent link posting (Marthaís brother Leo).

Iíve been a Doctor Who watcher, on and off, since the Hartnell days and enjoy being able to watch something thatís entertaining (most of the time). I watch very little TV these days, as I get plenty of dťjŗ vu with most of the programmes. Not so with Doctor Who. Even when they go over old ground (like the Daleks and Cybermen) the writers, both old and new, always seem to try and give it some twist and turns to try and keep it fresh for the viewer. The new Whoís have a completely different feel about them compared to the older ones. Not a bad thing, just different again. Of course, itís easier when your main character can go anywhere, at any time.

I donít really have a favourite Doctor, I think theyíve all done a pretty good job in their own way. Some of the companions have been not so great, but overall itís a great show and long may it continue to be on our screens. Big Grin

Richard

The controls of the TARDIS are isomorphic.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 04 2007 @ 07:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Starman] Not a bad thing, just different again. Of course, itís easier when your main character can go anywhere, at any time.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Richard

Careful writing things like that - you'll have Louis choking(EDIT) on his (non-alcoholic) drink!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, May 04 2007 @ 07:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  Starman] Not a bad thing, just different again. Of course, itís easier when your main character can go anywhere, at any time.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Richard

Careful writing things like that - you'll have Louis chocking on his (non-alcoholic) drink!

Cheers, daveac

Iíll have to remember that!! I wouldnít want Louis to be unable to do the next edition of Podshock.

The controls of the TARDIS are isomorphic.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, May 04 2007 @ 07:56 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Starman]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Richard

Careful writing things like that - you'll have Louis choking(my edit) on his (non-alcoholic) drink!

Cheers, daveac

Iíll have to remember that!! I wouldnít want Louis to be unable to do the next edition of Podshock.

I guess you knew what I meant - but for other newbies - Louis - and many others of us here - are upset that the Doctor doesn't 'can go anywhere' at least in terms of going to other planets - and non-human ones as well!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, May 04 2007 @ 08:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Starman]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Richard

Careful writing things like that - you'll have Louis choking(my edit) on his (non-alcoholic) drink!

Cheers, daveac

I guess you knew what I meant - but for other newbies - Louis - and many others of us here - are upset that the Doctor doesn't 'can go anywhere' at least in terms of going to other planets - and non-human ones as well!

Cheers, daveac

First, welcome to all the mid-term (S3) newcomers to our happy playground.

Second, a horrible thought - perhaps humans are the only ones left after the 'Time War' that are worth visiting anymore. We certainly have had a host of "Ancient & Mythological" visits of late. Sooner or later Martha has to wonder (as do we here) if there is more out there than just the past & future of humankind that deserves such attention/intervention.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, May 08 2007 @ 09:55 PM EDT
    Hi -

I'm an old school fan who first discovered Doctor Who when it aired on PBS in Boston back in the late Seventies. My first memories of the show are from "Robot," although I have several memories from the Hinchcliffe years forever etched on my childhood psyche.

I became quite a big fan and follower of the series in my teenage years, but my interest started waning during the final seasons. Even at fifteen I realized something wasn't quite right...though having rewatched some of the stories I think the music was the biggest barrier to my enjoyment of them.

Anyway, I never completely lost my interest and enthusiasm for the series...it just sort of lay dormant as I moved through life coming to the surface again briefly when I studied in London in the Nineties, and then again with the Fox movie. The new series, which I quite like, rekindled the flame, and I've been amazed to discover all of the great developments of the last decade (e.g., lost story audios, original audios, books, etc.). Now, I can finally catch up on the gaps in my Hartnell and Troughton while traveling for business - never would have thought it possible when reading those Haining books so many years ago. Smile

And my hat's off to the crew of this great forum and podcast. Over the last several months, I've been digesting and enjoying the discussions of Louis, Ken, and James - great stuff and good fun. And, of course, I can't forget mentioning those stellar reviews from Darth. Really great work, and I'm happy to finally submit a post to the forum.

-Shawn

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 08 2007 @ 11:00 PM EDT

Welcome to the forum, Shawn.

Taras

Thursday, June 21 2007 @ 09:34 AM EDT
    I've been a Podshock listener since summer of '05, after reading forum posts I've decided to find enough "Sonic" in my screwdriver to register. I'm missing out on all the fun you guys are having and hope to interact and get in on all the excitement that GE and Podshock has brought for all of us new and longtime Who fans! For me, it was the Pertwee era on WPHL-17 back in the early 70's and how The Master and "Terror of the Autons" made me afraid to turn out the lights in my bedroom that fateful night when I was 9 years old! That plastic "comfy chair" and voodoo doll, both still creep me out to this day!!

Thanks for coming together in a "Fantastic" forum, "Fantastic Indeed!" to quote James!! Cool
    Peace,

~Bill

"Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I'm not mistaken in mine."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 21 2007 @ 09:41 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DR_YANA] I've been a Podshock listener since summer of '05, after reading forum posts I've decided to find enough "Sonic" in my screwdriver to register. I'm missing out on all the fun you guys are having and hope to interact and get in on all the excitement that GE and Podshock has brought for all of us new and longtime Who fans! For me, it was the Pertwee era on WPHL-17 back in the early 70's and how The Master and "Terror of the Autons" made me afraid to turn out the lights in my bedroom that fateful night when I was 9 years old! That plastic "comfy chair" and voodoo doll, both still creep me out to this day!!

Thanks for coming together in a "Fantastic" forum, "Fantastic Indeed!" to quote James!! Cool
    Peace,

~Bill

Welcome ...DR_YANA - what a great forum name - now will your avatar be kindly Prof Yana or after the realisation YANA or one of the two Master faces.

Cheers, daveac

Thursday, June 21 2007 @ 10:55 AM EDT
    Welcome ...DR_YANA - what a great forum name - now will your avatar be kindly Prof Yana or after the realisation YANA or one of the two Master faces.

Cheers, daveac

Thank you for the warm welcome and your creative suggestions for my avatar, daveac!! I'm normally not good at conjuring up a creative ID, you might say the good professor inspired me Smile As for the avatar, I'm going to let my overall "mood" decide which face should be displayed, Wink Twisted Evil

Peace,

~Bill

"Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I'm not mistaken in mine."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 02:18 AM EDT
    Just thought I'd drop in and say a quick "howdy and hello" to all of the fine folk here in the forum.

Strangely enough, outside of Doctor Who, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan (please don't stone me). Growing up, all of my friends were pretending to be "Star Wars" characters (who the hell is this Wedge Antilles I keeping hearing about?) and I was either attempting to be Doctor #4 or James Bond (Connery, of course!). Nevertheless, I'm determined to see Blake's 7, so I'm saving up for a region-free DVD player.

*editor's note* - I've just been told that James Bond is a science fiction/fantasy character. So I guess I am a sci-fi fan.

I'm one of those "High Fidelity" music geeks. I love just about everything: Americana, Freakbeat, Mod Revival '79, British Invasion, Doo Wop, Early Psychadelia, Stax-Volt, Pre-1965 Country, Punk '77, Power Pop, Northern Soul, New Orleans Jazz, Jangle Pop, Ska Revival, British Folk-Rock, No Wave, Proto-Punk, Garage Rock, Free Jazz, Jump Blues...alright, I'll stop there. If you really want to read more, feel free to "friend me" on myspace or send me an email.

Anyway, I'm here to celebrate the majesty known as Doctor Who! May the good Doctor have an inifinate number of regenerations.

Fairport (aka Jay)

Wednesday, June 27 2007 @ 07:10 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Fairport]Nevertheless, I'm determined to see Blake's 7, so I'm saving up for a region-free DVD player.

Fairport (aka Jay)

Welcome to the forums.

Assuming that you are in the US, saving up for a region-free DVD player is not too bad, mine cost $60 at circuit city. However you will need to save up to buy Blake's 7 DVDs. You can get a box set of all 4 series from amazon.co.uk (which is by far the cheapest way of getting them) but it is 100 pounds sterling, i.e $200 at current exchange rates.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 05:43 PM EDT
    Hello listened to podshock for over a year and enjoy it a lot keep up the good work

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 09:33 PM EDT

Wicked!

Welcome Ace!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored