The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Noel Clarke
    Noel Clarke
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Firefly
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Firefly Views: 2058
     Friday, January 12 2007 @ 01:50 AM EST

Since the discussion in the thread, A Cable Forum Poll... has slipped into an off-topic discussion on Firefly. I thought it might be best to bring the conversation here as a new thread.

I have only seen two stories so far, Serenity (the two hour or two episode pilot, not the film), and The Train Job. I am enjoying it. After what Taras told me that the network rejected the original pilot Serenity and choose to use The Train Job to pilot the series, I am glad that the continuity stayed in tact. I was thinking it may have been something like when NBC rejected the first Star Trek pilot (The Cage) and requested another one (Where No Man Has Gone Before)... and there were various changes that were made between the two. Whereas I can see how The Train Job could be used as an introduction to the series as it sets things up with some back-story of how they all came to be on board and such... it didn't reinvent or break the continuity of what was meant to the be real pilot, Serenity (not the film).

Outside of simply hearing about the series... and even when I first heard about it originally, it may have been after it was taken off the air, but prior to the feature film... I do recall one of the Battlestar Galactica DVD box sets came with a promo DVD that was promoting Firefly or possibly the movie, I don't recall now. It didn't really grab me... but after getting feedback from so many other people that discovered the series after it's initial run, it made me interested. I don't think that promo DVD did it justice really... or maybe it is just a series that you have to watch it to get involved in it.

Now I am looking forward to seeing the complete series and the movie that followed it.

Anyway -- please don't post any spoilers here.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, January 12 2007 @ 04:15 AM EST

Ok, no spoilers. I'm just glad that you didn't start with the movie Louis. Let us know what you think.

Now about this John Doe thingy.... Wink

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Friday, January 12 2007 @ 05:06 AM EST

The thing that sets Firefly apart is its intelligent story-telling, realistic setting, great acting, and award winning effects/photography.

This is one show that deserved a longer run than it was allowed to have. It went through almost the same problems that Babylon 5—Crusade did, with episodes being aired out of order and the series being cancelled midway through its first season. And both aired on a network that did not understand what they had.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, January 12 2007 @ 05:25 AM EST
    Well, technically, Fox didn't ask for a second pilot, they simply showed the series out of order, starting with "The Train Job", which means we didn't get to see the characters being introduced properly, and the wonderful sense of build-up was blown.

Great show. Keep watching. Watch it in the order specified on the DVDs.

And enjoy!

The movie, "Serenity", wraps up a lot of questions about the series, so don't spoil it by watching it until you're finished the series.

And then like the rest of us, you can get in line and demand someone pick the series up again.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, January 12 2007 @ 02:58 PM EST
    Louis, have you ever got a treat in store for you when you get to "Out of Gas." Awesome episode!

Constant Irritant
    battening down the hatches for the impending North Texas ice storm

"There's room for one more..."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 12 2007 @ 03:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Well, technically, Fox didn't ask for a second pilot,

Actually, they did ask for a second pilot. And The Train Job was written based on the requests from the network over a weekend.

[Quote  by:  ] Serenity was the original two-hour series pilot for the Firefly science-fiction television series created by Joss Whedon. However, FOX executives were not satisfied with this as a pilot, and so instead, The Train Job was created to be the pilot. Serenity was not aired until the end of the series's run.

According to the DVD commentary, Joss Whedon and Tim Minear only had two days to write the script for The Train Job.

edit:

[Quote  by:  ] During filming of the pilot episode, Whedon was still arguing with FOX that the show should be displayed in widescreen format. Consequently, he purposely filmed scenes with actors on the extreme edge of both sides so that they would have no choice. However, the pilot was rejected by the FOX executives, who felt that it lacked action and that the captain was too "dour". They also disliked a scene in which the crew backed down to a crime boss, since the scene implied the crew was "being nothing". Thus, FOX told Whedon on a Friday afternoon that he had to submit a new pilot script on Monday morning or the show would not be picked up. Whedon and Tim Minear closeted themselves for the weekend to write what became the new pilot, The Train Job. In this new pilot, the captain was more "jolly" and, at the direction of FOX, they added "larger than life" characters. These characters manifested themselves in the henchman "Crow", and the "hands of blue" men, which also introduced a X-Files-type ending.

Friday, January 12 2007 @ 07:00 PM EST

Louis,

Just to spoil it for you, The Train Job may just be the weakest episode in the short run of the program. I can only imagine what it could have been if Firefly continued its run on television. When I saw Serenity at the end of the original run, I was very into it.

The program came close to the flavor of a sci-fi role playing game I was really in to in high school and college—Traveller. A hodge-podge crew, some ex-military eeking an existance on an under-gunned small merchant starship often on the wrong side of the law (the Imperium) and often dealing with wide ranging technology levels in a setting with the ruling government being an amalgam of two main cultures. There are major differences between the two, so I'm not suggesting that Firefly is based on Traveller, it's just that the atmosphere of all those stories we made up as students in the game was replicated for me. But with skillful story telling that blew me away.

Taras

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 10:22 AM EST
    Having been a big Joss Whedon fan from Buffy and Angel, I eagerly anticipated Firefly. I loved it from the beginning, and was extremely irate with Fox for how they handled the show. It ended up being the last straw for me personally with Fox. After that, I didn't even bother with any new show Fox came up with regardless of how good I heard they were. That's how I missed out on Arrested Development. I figured, why should I invest myself in a show when the network would inevitably screw it up, cancel it, and replace it with some reality dreck like I Married a Midget.

As soon as Firefly was available for pre-order on Amazon I put in my order. Serenity (the movie) was one of the few movies I went to on an opening weekend, paying full price to see. I really hope they get to make another.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 10:33 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    As soon as Firefly was available for pre-order on Amazon I put in my order. Serenity (the movie) was one of the few movies I went to on an opening weekend, paying full price to see. I really hope they get to make another.

Didn't watch Firefly but did get the 'Serenity' DVD and enjoyed.

But this remark of yours caught my eye:-

'Serenity (the movie) was one of the few movies I went to on an opening weekend, paying full price to see'

Is this another US - UK difference?

Do you pay more to see a film on the openning weekend?

Here in the UK the only reason not to go the first weekend is the the theatres might be packed or pre-booked - so I suppose with a 'bookingfee' the tickets could be dearer.

But normally the price stays the same except for some cimemas having cheaper 'day-time' tickets or maybe a mid-week price.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 10:51 AM EST
    Hmmmm, Firefly is one of the shows I've heard good things about so bought the DVD's but have never actually got round to taking it out of it's wrapping! I guess I should prioritise this a bit!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 09 2007 @ 11:19 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]But this remark of yours caught my eye:-

'Serenity (the movie) was one of the few movies I went to on an opening weekend, paying full price to see'

Here in the UK the only reason not to go the first weekend is the the theatres might be packed or pre-booked - so I suppose with a 'bookingfee' the tickets could be dearer.

But normally the price stays the same except for some cimemas having cheaper 'day-time' tickets or maybe a mid-week price.

I think he means as opposed to waiting to see it on TV or at one of the discount theatres which will show a movie after its initial run. I also went to see Serenity (the movie) on opening night, and then two more times within the next two weeks taking my brother and a friend to see it, I felt so strongly about its quality story-telling.

Taras

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 09:47 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  daveac]But this remark of yours caught my eye:-

I think he means as opposed to waiting to see it on TV or at one of the discount theatres which will show a movie after its initial run. I also went to see Serenity (the movie) on opening night, and then two more times within the next two weeks taking my brother and a friend to see it, I felt so strongly about its quality story-telling.

Taras

He could also be talking about seeing a matinee. Movies starting before 6pm (or 4pm, depending on your city/locale) will sometimes get "matinee" prices. Where I live, a movie starting after 6pm costs $9.50, but a matinee costs $5 to $6.50. This almost makes it bearable to pay $3.25 for a small soda and $4 for a small popcorn.

I want to point out that amazon.com still lists the Firefly DVD set as in the top ten scifi dvd purchases. This is amazing considering the short run of the series, and the fact that there have been some great scifi DVDs out recently. More and more browncoats are joining up everyday!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 10:17 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] He could also be talking about seeing a matinee.

I beleive Dave already mentioned matinees. I didn't want to repeat...

Too bad we don't have lower priced matinees in the Big Apple. I would then be tempted to play hooky on my lunch hour. Twisted Evil We have to pay full price in Manhattan. Evil

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 01:06 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] We have to pay full price in Manhattan. Evil

Just for info - the standard price here in the UK is about 6.50 UKPs - with current exchange rate thats about 11 dollars!!!!

Drinks around 1.50 UKPs - just under 3 dollars
    Popcorn 2.50 UKPs - just under 5 dollars

So a trip to the pictures for one getting on for 20 dollars!!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 01:16 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Just for info - the standard price here in the UK is about 6.50 UKPs - with current exchange rate thats about 11 dollars!!!!

Drinks around 1.50 UKPs - just under 3 dollars
    Popcorn 2.50 UKPs - just under 5 dollars

So a trip to the pictures for one getting on for 20 dollars!!

The last time I went to the theatre, it was $10.50 and the drinks and snacks are about the same. But this is in the big city. across the country, the prices are a bit cheaper the further you get from the more populated areas.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored