The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sean Gallagher at Gallifrey 2008
    Sean Gallagher at Gallifrey 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Primeval - UK SF
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Primeval - UK SF Views: 7993
     Thursday, February 08 2007 @ 08:09 AM EST
    I'm just amazed that what I had thought to be a fairly long running program lasted for so few years, and that it actually had a cast change of which I have absolutely no memory. The original theme song is so catchy, and so ingrained that when I recently heard the season 3 theme song I couldn't believe how utterly wrong it was.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 09:06 AM EST
    Here's a screen cap from yesterdays first episode. I've tried to pick one not too spoilerey -

Oh a verdict - a bit better than the first Torchwood episode -

BUT not sure yet whether it's for kids or for family viewing.

here
    Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 09:57 AM EST
    Just finished watching the pilot. I wasn't thrilled, but I wasn't horriby dissapointed, either. Just kind of ho-hum. Confused I suppose it will fill some time waiting for season 3 to start.

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 10:20 AM EST
    I think it did what it said on the tin. I'm still reserving judgement on the series though because there were one or two bits that I just couldn't accept.

For example:

1.) Dinosaur attacking little boy through bedroom window and leaving room and front porch devastated while no-one else in the street hears a thing and mother being inexplicably thick when it comes to wondering about how her son could have ripped out the bedroom window single-handedly and also removed most of the roof tiles from aforementioned front porch. The only possible logical explanation for her lack of surprise that her son might be responsible for this is that said son is in fact possessed by Satan and such occurrances are not unusual ("Darling, did you hear that?"..."Yes dear, it's just the child next door rotating his head through 360 degrees and projectile vomitting green slime again."..."Ahh ok. Well as long as it's nothing serious. ...[Then, after long pause to suggest listening]: Hmm, what do you think "eat me" means?")

2.) Dinosaur turns up at school and no-one notices except child and teacher during attack. There doesn't even appear to be a stereotypical caretaker in the school moaning about "bloody kids" or toilet rolls.

3.) Dinosaur is attracted to the house by the smell of the child's blood after he scratches his hand at the edge of the field near to his house. If the dinosaur's sense of smell is that strong how come it has never attacked anyone or anywhere else or been attracted to nearby houses by - say - the smell of food being prepared or household pets?
    Next week's episode, featuring giant creepy crawlies in the London Underground looks intriguing though.

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 02:36 PM EST
    I wasn't overly impressed - I wasn't unimpressed either.

I recorded it to check it was suitable for for son (the 7:45 start time threw me a bit) - he's sat watching it as I type and is totally engaged by it all!

I'll certainly watch it again next week but I wouldn't kill to see it like I would the good Doctor Wink

One thing though - I didn't enjoy the adverts - I'm not nomally bothered by them but on this programme I thought they broke it up too much - obviously I'm a BBC boy at heart! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 05:49 PM EST
    What's the verdict for kids? I have an 11-year-old who watches all Doctor Who, but not Torchwood.

Is Primeval safe for kids?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 06:35 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] What's the verdict for kids? I have an 11-year-old who watches all Doctor Who, but not Torchwood.

Is Primeval safe for kids?

Sean.

Judging on the first episode I'd say fine - there is even an 11 year old boy in it.

10 and over should be fine - think Jurasic Park on a TV budget.

Although in the preview for next week, Hannah Spearritt (ex. S Club 7 singer) does appear in atire to please the dads :-)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, February 11 2007 @ 07:02 PM EST
    Yeah, sorry, that was WAY better than Torchwood. In fact, it's kinda more along the lines of what I thought Torchwood shoulda been. That was a fantastic opening episode. Now, I'm not so sure how much potential life there is in the setup, but inasmuch as it's a pilot's job to get you simply to come back next week, it succeeded brilliantly.

Just to briefly compare this to Torchwood, it's clear that Torchwood is missing a lot, dramatically, by not having retained London Torchwood—or some body of higher authority than the Cardiff team. The notion of a Home Office "boss" nominally in charge of, and at odds with, the heroes adds a lot of layers of potential drama. And they spent enough time with each of the other characters, defining their basic roles in the drama such that you understand where they fit in with each other.

The FX aren't quite up to speed yet—I knew I was looking at CGI—but they do tell the story.

The challenge for this show, I think, is in finding a way to sustain itself. Early days yet to know whether it's got enough hooks to keep forward momentum on a story line.

All-in-all, I think I'm very glad this show isn't directly up against Doctor Who all season long. That could be messy.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 09:18 AM EST
    For more background and info on Primeval check out this page:-

here

EDIT - Official site here (requires Flash)

here

Cheers, daveac

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 10:49 AM EST
    Doctor Who versus Primeval in a fight.... I know who would win.

I really did not think this show had any legs - it seemed all budget, no class to me. Which is a shame actually because I think a good sci fi show on ITV would force the BBC to up their game EVEN FURTHER stop fiddling around on spin offs and just blow every show out the water with season three (I suspect DW will hit that mark anyway from what I have already heard). Moreover I really like Douglas Henshall and all the work he has done so far, I would have liked him to have done a cameo in DW but I doubt tht will happen now. I think this might have worked better as a Channel 4 concept - far more Ultra Violet meets Dinos than 'Look guys we really feel like we have to jump on the intelligent-Sci-Fi-for-kids lorry here so what do you think of this?'. I think if C4 took the concept and ran with it as an E4 show then it would have kicked Torchwood's ass though.

In general I doubt I'll bother watching another episode. It's not giving me my Who fix (I'm only getting that from Heroes at the moment which makes my knees knock with glee)

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 12:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo]
    I really did not think this show had any legs - it seemed all budget, no class to me.

In general I doubt I'll bother watching another episode. It's not giving me my Who fix (I'm only getting that from Heroes at the moment which makes my knees knock with glee)

I think it will be worth you giving it a few shows - I don't think it will be the same dinosaurs every week.

The portal or whatever may well open onto different times and places.

Slight spoiler:-

Looks like giant insects next week.

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, February 18 2007 @ 10:26 AM EST
    I dunno. I'm still impressed with the show after episode 2. And I have to say that I'd love to see Douglas Henshall be the Doctor one day. He's got a clear talent for passionate, but understated, authority. I realize that I'm sorta being manipulated by the series to think of him kinda as the Doctor anyway, but I sill think he'd be a really good choice. I really don't know the guy from any other work, so maybe I'm being hasty, but I find him imminently watchable already.

Sunday, February 18 2007 @ 06:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I dunno. I'm still impressed with the show after episode 2. And I have to say that I'd love to see Douglas Henshall be the Doctor one day. He's got a clear talent for passionate, but understated, authority. I realize that I'm sorta being manipulated by the series to think of him kinda as the Doctor anyway, but I sill think he'd be a really good choice. I really don't know the guy from any other work, so maybe I'm being hasty, but I find him imminently watchable already.

Well I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed with this second episode - although the clip at the end for episode 3 looked promising.

Oh! Call me shallow but there was one part that impressed me:-

here
    Cheers, daveac

Sunday, February 18 2007 @ 06:56 PM EST
    Gosh! I wonder why she's in the series. I expect it must be because of her undoubted abilities as an investigator and to demonstrate to us all that, underneath everything, beautiful people are also clever people too. Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 18 2007 @ 07:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] Gosh! I wonder why she's in the series. I expect it must be because of her undoubted abilities as an investigator and to demonstrate to us all that, underneath everything, beautiful people are also clever people too. Wink

There was actually a plot reason see was (un)dressed like that - she had the heating up high because of a small 'reptile' she had at her apartment - well I thought it was a good enough reason Rolling Eyes

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored