The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    New Windows Release
    New Windows Release
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Life on Mars Series 2
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Life on Mars Series 2 Views: 6277
     Monday, February 19 2007 @ 06:49 PM EST

Cat People (Putting Out the Fire) - didn't Bowie write and sing the lyrics to Giorgio Moroder's theme song? I think the song was a product of the movie...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, February 19 2007 @ 07:00 PM EST
    Louis, yer freakin' me out, man!

Not sure I can count 1984 or Let's Dance, or any that were created BEFORE Bowie wrote the songs, as they aren't really named AFTER the Bowie song.

And ones like Absolute Beginners, When the Wind Blows and Cat People don't really count because the Bowie songs were written FOR those pieces. The show has to come after the Bowie song and not be directly related to Bowie.

But wow... that was just scary, Louis...

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, February 19 2007 @ 08:34 PM EST

No wonder Podshock is always "late". Louis is busy watching all the movies with Bowie song names as titles!!! Twisted Evil

Tuesday, February 20 2007 @ 01:15 AM EST

LOL Mr. Green I am just a long time Bowie fanatic! Yeah, I figured I was stretching it with movies that predated Bowie songs, but I limited it to just "talkies" as I left out silent films from the list.

Hey, I didn't even touch his Tin Machine catalog of songs... as I was limiting to just songs under his own name.

David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Syd Barrett, Robyn Hitchcock, The Beatles, etc... so much of my music leanings come from artists originating from the UK.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 08:25 AM EST
    It's looking likely that 'Life on Mars' will not be shown next week - 27th Feb - something about showing a football match.

I'll try an post again when I see it comfirmed - unless anyone else posts the info.

So there may not be a 'Red-Eye' flight that week.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 08:49 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] It's looking likely that 'Life on Mars' will not be shown next week - 27th Feb - something about showing a football match.

I'll try an post again when I see it comfirmed - unless anyone else posts the info.

So there may not be a 'Red-Eye' flight that week.

Cheers, daveac

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get ...um... the red eye yesterday. So I checked out the Life on Mars page on bbc.co.uk. It seems that BBC1 showed the second episode on the 20th -- what was shown on BBC4 last Tuesday. AND episode 3 (the bombing ep shown in previews) was on BBC4 again last night after episode 2 was on BBC1.

So, viewers have the option, it seems, to really be ahead of the game and watch on BBC4 or wait a week and watch an episode an hour earlier on BBC1.

What could be the reason behind doing it this way? 4 isn't a digital channel like 3 is it? Is it not available to everyone?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 10:02 AM EST

Was a bit confusing to me the way the website was worded as well. Was expecting 2 eps a week. So what is the word on next week? Is the UK afflicted with the dread "Sports First" bug that happens here Cry . The ep was ok, but seemed more of a moral play than Sci-Fi this week. Or is it just me? Wink

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 10:10 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

Was a bit confusing to me the way the website was worded as well. Was expecting 2 eps a week. So what is the word on next week? Is the UK afflicted with the dread "Sports First" bug that happens here Cry . The ep was ok, but seemed more of a moral play than Sci-Fi this week. Or is it just me? Wink

Cheers,
    Mike M.

It's looking like BBC 1 - no LOM
    BBC 4 - maybe showing a repeat - ie so it doesn't get two weeks ahead of BBC1.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 11:47 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Hey, I didn't even touch his Tin Machine catalog of songs... as I was limiting to just songs under his own name.

Back in 1991 when I took my first (and so far only) trip to the UK there was a music magazine called something like Q with the cover headline, Does Tin Machine Suck? Discuss. I still have it at home somewhere. I'll have to dig it up and scan it. Mr. Green

/-edit-/
    I sure picked the wrong day to try doing a Google News search on the upcoming Ashes to Ashes show...Ash Wednesday. I'll wait a few days and try again. Rolling Eyes

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 03:42 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]

Back in 1991 when I took my first (and so far only) trip to the UK there was a music magazine called something like Q with the cover headline, Does Tin Machine Suck? Discuss. I still have it at home somewhere. I'll have to dig it up and scan it. Mr. Green

/-edit-/
    I sure picked the wrong day to try doing a Google News search on the upcoming Ashes to Ashes show...Ash Wednesday. I'll wait a few days and try again. Rolling Eyes

This is weird, just as I am replying to this message, the song "David Bowie" by Momma off their Copter album came on my iPod which is currently in a random play.

Yes, I remember when Tin Machine first hit the scene, there were some mixed reviews... especially if you had different expectations as it was quite different from Bowie's solo work at that time... it is a bit harder edge one might say. I enjoy it. A good combination with Reeves Gabriel and Tony Sales. It was probably ahead of its time.

Is today Ash Wednesday already? Or perhaps next Wednesday? Oh my. Feels like it was just Valentine's Day last week. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, February 21 2007 @ 04:04 PM EST

And tomorrow is Washington's Birthday!

Thursday, February 22 2007 @ 12:45 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    And tomorrow is Washington's Birthday!

That's the next historical figure that the Doctor should meet up with... Or as DarthSkeptical once suggested the Doctor winding up in the middle of the American Revolution.

Hmm... actually this should go into another thread... Back to Life on Mars Series 2.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, February 23 2007 @ 10:18 AM EST
    k - back to LoM2...

somebody explain to me again what is with that creapy girl in the dress and her even creapier clown doll. Did such a picture really show up when nothing was being broadcast? She seriously gives me the creaps: "red wire, yellow wire, red wire, yellow wire." It's like "redrum" all over again!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, February 23 2007 @ 10:42 AM EST
    Possible hints to what is actually going on are said to be in the Lyrics of "Life on Mars". So possible spoilers, if you can dig them out. Wink

David Bowie - Life On Mars

It's a God awful small affair
    To the girl with the
    mousey hair,
    But her mummy is yelling, "No!"
    And her
    daddy has told her to go,
    But her friend is no where to be
    seen.
    Now she walks through her sunken dream
    To the
    seats with the clearest view
    And she's hooked to the
    silver screen,
    But the film is sadd'ning bore
    For
    she's lived it ten times or more.
    She could spit in
    the eyes of fools
    As they ask her to focus on
    Sailors
    Fighting in the dance hall.
    Oh man!
    Look at those cavemen go.
    It's the freakiest
    show.
    Take a look at the lawman
    Beating up the wrong
    guy.
    Oh man!
    Wonder if he'll ever know
    He's in the best selling show.
    Is there life on
    Mars?
    It's on America's tortured brow
    That Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow.
    Now the workers
    have struck for fame
    'Cause Lennon's on sale
    again.
    See the mice in their million hordes
    From Ibeza
    to the Norfolk Broads.
    Rule Britannia is out of bounds
    To my mother, my dog, and clowns,
    But the film is a
    sadd'ning bore'Cause I wrote it ten times or
    more.
    It's about to be writ again
    As I ask you to
    focus on
    Sailors
    Fighting in the dance hall.
    Oh man!
    Look at those cavemen go.
    It's the
    freakiest show.
    Take a look at the lawman
    Beating up
    the wrong guy.
    Oh man!
    Wonder if he'll ever
    know
    He's in the best selling show.
    Is there life
    on Mars?

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Friday, February 23 2007 @ 10:51 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] k - back to LoM2...

somebody explain to me again what is with that creapy girl in the dress and her even creapier clown doll. Did such a picture really show up when nothing was being broadcast? She seriously gives me the creaps: "red wire, yellow wire, red wire, yellow wire." It's like "redrum" all over again!

Check here for all the geek details:-

here

Here's a quote:-
    The most famous test card of all, Test Card F, still in use today by the BBC and used in 30 other countries. Designed by George Hersee and featuring his daughter Carole Hersee, it made its first appearance on BBC2 in 1967.

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored