The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    My Kids outside a Scottish TARDIS
    My Kids outside a Scottish TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Life on Mars Series 2
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Life on Mars Series 2 Views: 6189
     Saturday, April 14 2007 @ 07:31 PM EDT
    I finally got to sit down and watch the final episode of Life on Mars. I thought it really was a good ending for the show, although I do feel a little bad it's over. I have mixed feelings about the Ashes to Ashes sequel, but I'll give the creators the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if the US version is ever going to happen. I haven't heard much about it lately.

Anyway, cheers to Sam and the Guv and Annie and Chris and even Ray. Mr. Green

(I cracked up when I read in one of the linked articles that in Ashes to Ashes Ray will be sporting a "tight-perm")

/-edit-/
    Has anyone heard anything at all about a Region 1 release of the Life on Mars DVDs?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 15 2007 @ 04:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I wonder if the US version is ever going to happen. I haven't heard much about it lately.

We can look er... sideways to it hitting the airwaves June 1 this year. Any volunteers to watch the potential travesty? I suppose they will portray Gene as either Kojack or Archie Bunker Frown .

Cheers Gov,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 15 2007 @ 12:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    We can look er... sideways to it hitting the airwaves June 1 this year. Any volunteers to watch the potential travesty? I suppose they will portray Gene as either Kojack or Archie Bunker Frown .

"Tyler...will you stifle? You meathead."

I'll watch an episode or two of it out of a morbid sense of curiosity.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 15 2007 @ 11:23 PM EDT
    hmmmm..... well. goodness.

Those are really all I could think of at the end of the show. I'd like to think of Sam happy w/ Annie in 1973, but, well you never know.

Sam actually frightened me a bit in this episode. His resolve was so strong -- he certainly lost that perpetual 12 year old look I recently read about. He has the ability to look Menacing. It really is a good segue into what we expect Mr. Saxon to be.

I'm worried about Ashes to Ashes, though. Does this mean that Gene is some sort of psychic connection to people in comas? why are they attracted to him?

As for the US version, we'll muck it up somehow, we never seem to make these cross overs work (though I am a big fan of All In The Family, so I'm going to call that the exception to the norm).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 16 2007 @ 05:09 PM EDT
    Didn't want to start a new thread on 'Ashes to Ashes' just yet - so posting here.

I may soon be a very happy man as there is news that possibly one of the most beautiful women on the planet will be in the spin-off series - Thandie Newton!

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, April 18 2007 @ 09:02 AM EDT
    I like Thandie! That should be fun to watch Gene deal not only with a woman but one of African descent!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 18 2007 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    It was a great series and the episode quality was very consistent.

I agree about the American remake....Look what they have done with The Office.

How cool were the Trumpton scenes?Smile

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Saturday, April 21 2007 @ 08:32 AM EDT
    Just read this great item on Digital Sky 'Cult' Forum about Phillip Glenister

The poster 'primrosegirl' in post #4295 in this thread:-
    here

Writes:-
    'My Nephew's friend is a police officer and he was on the beat with another officer and they chanced upon Phillip Glenister. They asked him if he would be kind enough to give an autograph for a fellow officer as it was going to be his birthday, they were giving him a party and he is crazy about LoM and Gene in particular. He said I can do better than that, when and where is the party?

He arrived at the party dressed up as Gene Hunt, camel coat, snakeskin shoes, the lot and proceeded to act like the character, saying 'what have we got here, a right load of fairies!' and other unmentionables! The guy was over the moon.

What a super thing to do, just shows what a nice chap he is. Smile '

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 08:35 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Just read this great item on Digital Sky 'Cult' Forum about Phillip Glenister

The poster 'primrosegirl' in post #4295 in this thread:-
    here

Writes:-
    'My Nephew's friend is a police officer and he was on the beat with another officer and they chanced upon Phillip Glenister. They asked him if he would be kind enough to give an autograph for a fellow officer as it was going to be his birthday, they were giving him a party and he is crazy about LoM and Gene in particular. He said I can do better than that, when and where is the party?

He arrived at the party dressed up as Gene Hunt, camel coat, snakeskin shoes, the lot and proceeded to act like the character, saying 'what have we got here, a right load of fairies!' and other unmentionables! The guy was over the moon.

What a super thing to do, just shows what a nice chap he is. Smile '

Cheers, daveac

Wow, that's a class act if I ever heard of one! Way to go Phil!

As for me, I've been avoiding this thread like the plague I currently have (home with the flu) and have just now finished the final episode.

So: [Spoilers]
    1) I really liked the ending. I really thought they were going to leave it with him in the future.

2) I feel it was missing TWO scenes:
    a) Sam going over police records and finding pictures of Annie, Ray and Chris in obituaries, 1973, and Gene Hunt taken down and convicted of gross negligence.
    b) Sam going to Annie's grave, seeing the date - 1973. THEN seeing him take the jumper off the roof.
    Otherwise I thought it was just about perfect.

3) I thought the rainbow in the final scene between Sam and Annie was important (as in it's obvious he's back "over the rainbow" as alluded to so many times in the series, from the Guv calling him "Dorothy" all the time, to the "Somewhere over the Rainbow" song sung in the final episode. Also, a rainbow appears in the opening credits at the bottom right when the screen splits into multiple images of Sam.

4) Lots of other good Bowie songs in the series, sets the tone and the time, and highlights just how great Bowie is.

5) I liked that he cut himself and couldn't feel. Shows him that whatever he thinks of his 1973 life, it was more real to him than his non-existence in his proper time.

6) I swear I thought it ended when he took the jump. I did NOT expect to see him back in the tunnel, and rescuing his officers and Annie. Really unexpected that. I figured we'd end on him hoping he could get back by jumping and leaving it at that. Kind of glad they didnt' do that.

7) The girl turning off the TV could mean one of two things, both hinted at by writers, etc.
    a) The series is over, but Sam continues his 1973 adventures, complete with the love of Annie
    b) His life is over. The moments leading up to him being driven to another crime scene by Gene, and that moment, were all during the few moments of life he had left after his fall, while Doctors were trying to revive him. Then when the girl turns off the TV, that's it. He's gone, but he died happy, doing what he wanted to do.

[/SPOILERS]

Needless to say, thanks BBC, for a great show.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 10:18 AM EDT
    Davec - sorry, looks like Ms. Newton will not star in the Ashes to Ashes show. Just read this:

[Quote Ashes Flashes Back To '80s

Julie Gardner, executive producer of the upcoming BBC spinoff of the hit time-travel series Life on Mars, told SCI FI Wire that Ashes to Ashes will display the fashions of the 1980s in all their Day-Glo glory. "It's kind of Miami Vice in London," Gardner said in an interview at the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. "It's all those things you remember, all those terrible fashion faux pas from the '80s. So it's big puff-ball skirts and bright colors and lipstick and big hair. ... We're gong to do all of that. And, hopefully, the occasional speedboat on the Thames or something."

Ashes to Ashes stars Keeley Hawes (MI-5) as deputy inspector Alex Drake, a modern-day police officer who finds herself in a predicament similar to that of Sam Tyler (John Simm) in Life on Mars. But instead of traveling back to the year 1973, Alex arrives in 1981. There she'll encounter unreconstructed detective chief inspector Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) and the rest of his team of officers.

Gardner said that there are hints in the final episode of Life on Mars that will explain how Alex happens to encounter the same characters. "There is a clue there about how you can sustain a format," she said. "Because there are some back-references to Life on Mars, but essentially Ashes to Ashes stands alone. And what's great for us is the central continuation. It's Gene Hunt, the character, and he's brought some of his team with him."

Although the central premises of the two shows are similar, the writers have been careful to differentiate Ashes to Ashes from its predecessor.

"Matthew Graham and the team, they've just come up with a fantastic way of how that central character, played by Keeley, a character called Alex, gets back into this world," Gardner said. "Looking at a different period, a different decade, looking at the '80s, immediately gives them a lot of new story, and there are huge twists and turns for what happens to Alex. And I'm really not going to reveal them. There's going to be lots of layers. In the same way that Sam had his own journey, lots of kind of layered back stories. Lots of questions about the world and quite what is happening."

The actors will gather next week in London for the first time to read through the first script in the series, which was written by creator and executive producer Matthew Graham. Ashes to Ashes will air in the United Kingdom next year.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 02:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Davec - sorry, looks like Ms. Newton will not star in the Ashes to Ashes show. Just read this:

I started a thread about this over here Wink

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 11:40 AM EDT

Last week, I finally finished watching Series 2 of LoM. So I can now try to catch up on this thread that I have been avoiding for months now for fear of spoilers. Though the series finale was spoiled a bit for me on a different DW discussion list that I belong to, but there were still some surprises in the finale.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 11:44 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I wonder if the US version is ever going to happen. I haven't heard much about it lately.

Cheers Gov,
    Mike M.

As I write this on the 15th of August, I can assume that the 1 June date above never came to be? At least I had not heard anything on it and June came and went. Perhaps it is June of next year?

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 01:53 PM EDT
    Here's a quick link to info on what happened to the US version:

Life on Mars for ABC

Jason O'Mara.... yum.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 02:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] Here's a quick link to info on what happened to the US version:

Life on Mars for ABC

Jason O'Mara.... yum.

Thanks for the update on the US remake. I had to look up who Jason O'Mara is as the name did not ring any bells. After seeing him, I am not sure that his picture rings any bells either. But I was somewhat surprised after seeing him as he is very different in looks than John Simm... at least in terms of physic.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic