The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sophia Myles
    Sophia Myles
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Is there life on Mars?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Is there life on Mars? Views: 7854
     Monday, July 31 2006 @ 07:35 PM EDT
    I see that BBC America is running "Life on Mars" in a one hour timeslot so presumably the series is being heavily edited (like Spooks/MI5 was on A&E). Without ads a full episode of "Life on Mars" runs nearly one hour. I guess that means that up to 15 minutes could be missing from each episode. It's too bad they're not running it a long timeslot so that editing would not be needed.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 31 2006 @ 08:13 PM EDT

Those bastards! Editing out a quarter of the running time off the episodes!! That stinks. I was hoping that they were 40-43 minutes which were spread out to an hour... but if they were originally an hour long format, that means as you as you said BBC America must be chopping them down.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, August 01 2006 @ 06:42 PM EDT
    The second episode should have aired by now - still enjoying it I hope?

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, August 01 2006 @ 07:20 PM EDT

Yep... I am wondering if there will be a region 1 DVD box set of the series released. This way people in the States here can see the complete unedited episodes.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, August 01 2006 @ 07:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Those bastards! Editing out a quarter of the running time off the episodes!! That stinks. I was hoping that they were 40-43 minutes which were spread out to an hour... but if they were originally an hour long format, that means as you as you said BBC America must be chopping them down.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
    Louis

The CBC is doing the same with Hustle but I can kind of understand that a mainstream network might not have as many choices about these things. They did air "The Christmas Invasion" complete last year and that was nice.

However, I think that specialty cable networks have more flexibility when it comes to scheduling so there really is no need for hacking up shows like this.

BBC Canada generally doesn't edit shows for time or for content. They have a lot of shows that air in odd 40 minute and 80 minute timeslots. When they aired Spooks/MI5 in Canada the episodes were complete in ISTR a 75 minute timeslot but in the US the episodes were heavily edited for time. Hoepfully when Life on Mars comes to Canada the episode will be complete.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 06:34 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] I see that BBC America is running "Life on Mars" in a one hour timeslot so presumably the series is being heavily edited (like Spooks/MI5 was on A&E). Without ads a full episode of "Life on Mars" runs nearly one hour. I guess that means that up to 15 minutes could be missing from each episode. It's too bad they're not running it a long timeslot so that editing would not be needed.

Mike

Just found this on Digital Spy

here

quote:-
    Life On Mars is to be remade for an American pilot.

The time-travel drama has been commissioned for a US pilot by ABC, according to Variety. The show, which follows the adventures of a modern policeman who wakes up in 1973, will be remade by Ally McBeal creator David E Kelley.

end quote

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 08:40 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] The time-travel drama has been commissioned for a US pilot by ABC, according to Variety. The show, which follows the adventures of a modern policeman who wakes up in 1973, will be remade by Ally McBeal creator David E Kelley.

More Starsky & Hutch than The Sweeney I'm thinking.

Mike

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 09:54 AM EDT
    Yeah, the original episodes (I have two here) are almost exactly an hour long, so if the BBC America showings are including ads and running it only one hour, then you're losing a hell of a lot of show.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 10:07 AM EDT
    MINOR SPOILER!

I caught it "by other means" when it was being broadcast across the pond. I enjoyed it immensely, but was rather surprised that the storyline wasn't wrapped up. I just don't see how the main storyline (i.e. the mystery of what exactly is causing his time displacement) can continue for any length of time.

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 11:21 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  joereform] MINOR SPOILER!

I caught it "by other means" when it was being broadcast across the pond. I enjoyed it immensely, but was rather surprised that the storyline wasn't wrapped up. I just don't see how the main storyline (i.e. the mystery of what exactly is causing his time displacement) can continue for any length of time.

I believe when originally written it was going to be resolved but as they started to think they had something special in the making - the rumour is that they changed the ending to leave it open for a second series.

Some chat on the forums even thought he - Sam - would jump to a different time period.

I think the idea will stretch to at least three series - remember I think there were (are) only eight episodes in series 1.

Cheers, daveac

Thursday, August 03 2006 @ 11:54 AM EDT
    For those interested, in a recent DWM article the writer (who also wrote for series 2 DW) talks about series 2 which is currently in the works.

He also revealed the truth behind the unusual sharing of the last name of "Tyler" for Sam and Rose.

His daughter had seen episode one of the new Who and when he was looking for a good last name for Sam, his daughter suggested Tyler, and he didn't know where she got the name, so he used it.

Funny, though, that both lost fathers as young children, and travel in time (maybe). Funny that they both go back and meet their dead fathers...

...coincidence surely!

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, August 04 2006 @ 10:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]Some chat on the forums even thought he - Sam - would jump to a different time period.

Cheers, daveac

I think that was already done - it was called Quantum Leap Laughing Out Loud

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, August 04 2006 @ 01:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

here

The time-travel drama has been commissioned for a US pilot by ABC, according to Variety. The show, which follows the adventures of a modern policeman who wakes up in 1973, will be remade by Ally McBeal creator David E Kelley.

end quote

Cheers, daveac

Oh no... I hate when American networks are compelled to remake a British show for America... Just show the original series. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, August 07 2006 @ 04:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

here

end quote

Cheers, daveac

Oh no... I hate when American networks are compelled to remake a British show for America... Just show the original series. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
    Louis

Oh, but Louis - we Americans aren't clever enough to understand or enjoy something that was created by a different culture. Ours is the only one that really matters afterall, therefore we must remake everthing, from TV shows to updates of the Bible. (yes, I was being completely sarcastic and catty here, hopefully that was obvious to one and all! If not, I've got some ocean front property in Nevada to sell you)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 09:48 AM EDT
    I caught the sarcasm right away. I totally agree with you! Every time I try and show a friend something I'm watching from the UK they scoff at it and think it's dumb. Oh well, my gain, their loss. Same thing happened with Who's Line Is It Anyway, and the American version just sucked. The only case where it slightly worked was the Office. I love the US as much as the UK version. Big Brother annoys me also because the UK version is so much more creative. I love it!

Well, that is my rant. Now back on topic. I finally got around to watching this show off of BBC-America. For some reason a show was skipped and I don't think I saw the second show. I believe he witnesses his father being arrested for a crime. Am I crazy or did I really miss this episode?

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored