The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    TARDIS Playset glowing
    TARDIS Playset glowing
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Is there life on Mars?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Is there life on Mars? Views: 7845
     Sunday, October 22 2006 @ 07:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] It's a decision that should be commended. When the story is up, end it. I just wish American shows like Lost would follow this pattern.

There's talk now that after series two of 'Life on Mars' finishes the cast will return in....

the eighties.... in a show called 'Ashes to Ashes' (a David Bowie song?)

Whether he wakes up in the present and then has another 'accident' to wake up in the Eighties or whether...like Sam Becket...he leaps from 1973? to 1981 I don't know.
    here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 09:29 AM EDT
    What interesting news!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, October 23 2006 @ 10:01 AM EDT
    Good news indeed. Loved series one, can hardly wait until Janurary for the new series. Bring on the big 80's hair after that. Hope it gets the green light.

With all due respect- it's my place to thrash the staff.
    Cptn. Jack

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 08:16 AM EST
    Well I've been watching my series one box which Santa kindly bought me and I'm loving it all over again and really looking forward to series two....

... which quite nicely leads to this:-

This was posted on another forum I frequent:-

There is also the following news item on the Media Guardian website:-

[Quote  by: Media Guardian]
    Mark Sweney
    Tuesday January 23, 2007
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

BBC1 has created a spoof clip of 70s animated TV show Camberwick Green, featuring the hard-nosed characters from cop show Life on Mars, to promote the next series of the cult show.

The 20-second clip, which is being distributed virally to promote the return of the show, will also feature as a dream sequence experienced by time-travelling cop Sam Tyler.

In the sequence, triggered by a drug overdose given to Tyler to bring him out of the coma that makes him a detective in 1973, he sees an animated version of his 1970s hard-nosed partner Gene Hunt beating up a "nonce" puppet.

Marketing for the campaign launched this Saturday and will include posters, television and radio spots and mobile and desktop downloads.

In keeping with the retro theme of the series, all the advertising material will carry the 70s BBC1 "Globe" branding.

The marketing campaign, created by Red Bee Media, will conclude with the auction of the Ford Cortina featured in the show, with all proceeds going to Comic Relief.

Anna Skelton, marketing manager for BBC1 and Drama, said the show provided a great opportunity to "develop a 360 degree campaign across all mediums, while capitalising on the nostalgia of the BBC1 colour branding from the 70s".

The link to the trailer they are talking about can be found here. If you're of a certain age and live in the UK then you will ove this and grin like a big child!! Mr. Green

Media Guardian normally requires registration so if anybody has trouble accessing the link I'll put the file on YouTube. I don't think the BBC will mind as this is a viral campain.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 09:31 AM EST
    Feb 13th in the UK on BBC 1 and Feb 28th UNCUT! on BBC Canada!

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 11:12 AM EST

Did the first series find its way to DVD (Region 2 as I haven't seen it in R1 yet)?

If it did come out in region 2 as a box set or something, at least then there is hope for a region 1 version.

I've seen the first series on BBC America, but it seems like I am going to have to get a BIG antenna and point it north at Canada to get the uncut versions. Smile

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 11:25 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Did the first series find its way to DVD (Region 2 as I haven't seen it in R1 yet)?

If it did come out in region 2 as a box set or something, at least then there is hope for a region 1 version.

It came out on Region 2 last May. Since the series has been well received in both the US and Canada its odd that it hasn't been scheduled for Region 1 yet.

[Quote  by:  Louis]I've seen the first series on BBC America, but it seems like I am going to have to get a BIG antenna and point it north at Canada to get the uncut versions. Smile

More like a gray market Canadian satellite dish or a *really* long cable. Wink

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 12:52 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    I've seen the first series on BBC America, but it seems like I am going to have to get a BIG antenna and point it north at Canada to get the uncut versions. Smile
    Cheers,
    Louis

Louis or others - why is it cut at all? Are we talking to fit more adverts in or is it because of content?

Bye the in the UK it's being repeated on BBC 4 on Monday nights - just had episode 3.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 12:57 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Louis or others - why is it cut at all? Are we talking to fit more adverts in or is it because of content?

Ads. I believe It was edited down to about 43 minutes so that a full load of commercials could be fir in and it could still air in a 60 minute time slot.

BBC Canada & Showcase did the same thing with their first run but then responded to viewer demand and reran the entire series unedited in a longer time slot.

Mike

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 01:17 PM EST

Cutting, cutting, cutting,...

An example: Sci-fi wants to air about 9 minutes of commercials/idents per 30 minute time slot. That means in a 60 minute time slot you only have about 42 minutes for the actual program. A fifty minute show would get chopped down by 8 minutes to fit the time slot. A sixty minute show could be aired in a 90 minute slot, with the added bonus of one additional minute of commercials per half hour. Joy of joys to the channel, as they increase ad space by 11%!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 01:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

(Me, I think I'm in love with WPC Cartright...)

Sean.

Just for you here a screen cap from Episode 3 (BBC4 last night)

here

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 01:26 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Cutting, cutting, cutting,...

An example: Sci-fi wants to air about 9 minutes of commercials/idents per 30 minute time slot.

Unbelievable!!!

There is no way I'd watch any live programme with that amount of interuption.

I'll carry on paying my (UK) TV lic.

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 03:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] Feb 13th in the UK on BBC 1 and Feb 28th UNCUT! on BBC Canada!

Mike

Jealous. very jealoous!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 04:19 PM EST
    I'm glad my post bought this thread back to life! Big Grin

I read somewhere very recently that some of the cuts for the US was to remove some of the more adult material. I was somewhat shocked by this as at the very most we briefly get to see naked breasts (male and female) and also lots and lots of swearing!

So you guys can buy guns but you're not allowed to see a lady with her her bits out or hear the F-Word on TV? If so, you can keep the guns Mr. Green

Dave - did you watch the clip I linked to in my previous post - if so did you get a bit hit of 70's nostalgia?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 05:04 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]

Dave - did you watch the clip I linked to in my previous post - if so did you get a bit hit of 70's nostalgia?

Yes - I caught it on Digital Spy.

I read somewhere Series 2 might air on 13 Feb? but As far as I know the BBC are keeping quiet so ITV don't put a strong show up against it.

Cheers, daveac

EDIT - in 20 mins Episode 4 is on BBC 4 (10.30pm GMT)

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored